NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough
Default Q about P-days length

I'm trying to understand, those of us that get to RTC the same week but like +/- a day or two of others showing up, will our p-days be longer/shorter than everyone else? I guess my main question is, I ship on a wednesday (04Jun14) so am I gonna have 1 less p-day than people shipping on 03Jun14? Not trying to crap on anyone here who is shipping 03Jun14 I'm just trying to understand how everything works.

Thanks
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

There's no guarantee as far as P-days goes. It could possibly work out that way, or it could work out that you wind up spending an extra week in P-days and graduating a week later.

It depends on what kind of division you get put into and how many people are coming in around that time. But I've never heard of spending less than 5 days in P-days, and Week 1 will pretty much always start on a Monday unless you get holidays screwing stuff up.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
classified9
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
There's no guarantee as far as P-days goes. It could possibly work out that way, or it could work out that you wind up spending an extra week in P-days and graduating a week later.

It depends on what kind of division you get put into and how many people are coming in around that time. But I've never heard of spending less than 5 days in P-days, and Week 1 will pretty much always start on a Monday unless you get holidays screwing stuff up.
Thanks for the info! When I started looking at people's ship dates I began to wonder.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

I've heard of this thing called a "push division" where they just rush you through the whole process apparently. I was told this by someone on RAP duty but they may have left out some details.
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
nick93

nick93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGumps64 View Post
I've heard of this thing called a "push division" where they just rush you through the whole process apparently. I was told this by someone on RAP duty but they may have left out some details.
i was a push division and i shipped out 20nov13. the holidays kept on pdays hold for almost 2 1/2 weeks and then we were on 1-3 hold for like another week after new years. i graduated 17jan14 and we crammed all the stuff into about 2 weeks. i actually liked being a push division. even though the waiting was sooooooooo boring, once we started training we were so busy that time flew by.
nick93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #6
classified9
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick93 View Post
i was a push division and i shipped out 20nov13. the holidays kept on pdays hold for almost 2 1/2 weeks and then we were on 1-3 hold for like another week after new years. i graduated 17jan14 and we crammed all the stuff into about 2 weeks. i actually liked being a push division. even though the waiting was sooooooooo boring, once we started training we were so busy that time flew by.
That sounds awesome, I'm going to embrace whatever comes my way but from my brother told me about p-days (HM3(FMF)) - it's like a week straight of MEPS and it sucks lol

Old 02-22-2014, 01:20 AM   #7
PurpleCarnation

PurpleCarnation is on a distinguished road

I'd say it's worse than a week of MEPS because at least you're waiting around to do something. I was on hold for 10 days. On P-Hold it's literally nothing but stenciling (aka stamping your name on your stuff), cleaning and getting yelled at. There were some times when the RDCs were bored and decided to answer our questions or tell us sea stories but, for the most part P-Hold is the worst part of boot camp.
PurpleCarnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
fellawip

fellawip is on a distinguished road

Well I got 3 weeks until I ship and my kids are sick so I'm trying not to catch it!
fellawip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
classified9
**Active Duty**

Anyone know of anyone that shipped on a Wednesday?

Old 02-24-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
fellawip

fellawip is on a distinguished road

I'm shipping on a Tue
fellawip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #11
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

The summer schedules are pretty normal but if you go during the early winter/late autumn, expect to have your schedule messed up. I was in P-days for 2 weeks...yeah that sucked but it was easy just talking with your shipmates--there were different P-day RDCs that came in every day so its not like it was after we met our RDCs.

Personally, I think the worst part of boot camp were all the practice inspections we did during the week+ of NCTDs we had (Non-Curricular Training Days)....

CompTIA A+ Certified: May 29, 2012
CompTIA Network+ Certified: June 5, 2013
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote