NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
Jwad

Jwad is on a distinguished road
Default Is it uncommon to have no one come out for your PIR?

It seems that I've read practically everyone has someone come out for graduation from RTC. My family can't really afford to come out so I'll probably have no guests there. Does pretty much everyone have family or friends come out? I'm not really worried, I'm just curious to see if it's common.
Jwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
AramilX

AramilX is on a distinguished road

I didn't really know how little time we have for liberty after PIR. Now that I know it's just a few hours, you're right, it doesn't really make sense for them to fly all he way out there for just a few hours with me.

DEP date 10SEP13
Ship date 03JUN14
AramilX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
TrustnDatThrust

TrustnDatThrust is on a distinguished road

It is pretty common. Don't worry about it. It's only a couple hours of liberty anyway after the ceremony before you pack and leave RTC for good. Get with the other guys / girls who don't have family coming and go out, or tag along with a friend you made and their family. You'll get a good 2 weeks or more of leave later on after A-School to spend back home if you want.
TrustnDatThrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
Arvy

Arvy is on a distinguished road

Oh hell ya, I don't want my family spending hundreds of dollars to spend a few hours with me for PIR... and your family can watch the PIR online if they really want to.

I told my mom and dad not to do it; and besides I'm used to not seeing them for months at a time. Some of the kids going to basic training are like 17 and the first time they've been away from their parents.
Arvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Probably 95% of my class had family there. But its a little different on the officer side, because our graduation events stretch over 3 days.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:04 AM   #6
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to A school across the street at NSTC, it's much more worth it. You'll get pretty much the whole weekend.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

My brother graduated boot when corpsman a-school was across the street, so it's worth it to make the trip to have a solid weekend of liberty. My family is getting all jacked up about doing it again, but nukes get a total of like 9 hours for liberty. Would rather they save it for a weekend to come to charleston

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote