NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
futuresailormoh

futuresailormoh is on a distinguished road
Default Any Last min navy advice before basic??

Hey, well the time has come and i will be leaving for bootcamp in 5 days. Was just reaching out to see if anyone had any last min advice for me as far as anything Navy related.. Bootcamp, advancement, navy life, deployments etc.. my ears are open to all advice offered. Thanks.. future sailor Hughes
futuresailormoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresailormoh View Post
Hey, well the time has come and i will be leaving for bootcamp in 5 days. Was just reaching out to see if anyone had any last min advice for me as far as anything Navy related.. Bootcamp, advancement, navy life, deployments etc.. my ears are open to all advice offered. Thanks.. future sailor Hughes
I'll keep it short and sweet!

-If you have to pick a divisional job, pick yeoman. They have by far the easiest go of everything and get to get out of the division every now and then.

-Most divisions have some freaking moto people get up after lights out and make all these speeches and what-not; don't be one of those people. If you have time to sleep just take it.

-Realize that boot camp is only a couple weeks out of your career. Some of the days are going to be long as hell and I promise the thought of "Why am I here?" is going to cross your mind; it does for everybody. But REMEMBER why you are there and why you came there in the first place.

-Remember that BOOT CAMP IS NOT THE FLEET. You're transitioning from civilian to Sailor; so don't get stuck in this mindset of this is what military life is like. It's not. So don't dwell on it.

-You'll meet a bunch of know-it-all's who think they know everything about the Navy. They don't. Trust me. They're just as in the dark as you are.

-COMPULSIVELY WASH YOUR HANDS. People coming in from all over the country are going to be bringing their germs with them. If you don't want to get the boot camp crud, wash your hands as much as you can.

-WEAR YOUR FREAKING SHOWER SHOES!! They'll give you these white and blue sandals to wear in the shower. If you choose not to, I 1000% promise you'll end up with a nasty case of athletes foot. They give you these things for a reason; use it.

/r
CTT1
Old 06-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

What CTT1 said, plus drink water. You'll need more than you think, and it will help keep you healthy.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
SonMeeker

SonMeeker is on a distinguished road

-Stay away from people with pink eye.
-Don't talk in the galley.
-Learn General Orders and Sailor's Creed before entering. It's also better to know the RTC Chain of Command, or at least try to learn MCPON, CNP, CNO, SECDEF, all those jobs that aren't specific to RTC. It'll give you a jumpstart, and you won't have to stress about it as much.
-Don't sing in the shower, or anywhere.
-Don't talk in the P-ways.
-Follow directions as closely as possible.
-Don't be a know-it-all. Everyone hated them.
-If you don't want a leadership position, keep your head low.
-If you want a leadership position, volunteer.
-May be a little late, but don't go into bootcamp not knowing how to do one push up. You'll have a terrible time.
-Try not to get LLD or SIQ in bootcamp. It's nice at the time, but if you miss a lot of training, you'll get set back. Nobody wants that.
IC "A" SCHOOL GRAD DATE: [03JUN16]
Rate: ICSN
SonMeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
futuresailormoh

futuresailormoh is on a distinguished road

Sounds good to me, Thanks alot guys for the great advice, i will definitely utilize these tips on my bootcamp journey.
futuresailormoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
B-Gill9889

B-Gill9889 is on a distinguished road
Default Leaving soon as well!

I ship in a little less than too weeks, so I'm counting down! Kinda funny that I'm so excited and slightly scared that I've began having insomnia since a few days ago lol. As much as I THINK I already know a lot in terms of knowledge, I'm sure I'm gonna screw something up at some point, but I won't be the first or only part of a few, which is why I'm not too worried XD.

This was some very good advise, I appreciate it a lot, and I can't wait to be a Sailor!
B-Gill9889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #7
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Gill9889 View Post
I ship in a little less than too weeks, so I'm counting down! Kinda funny that I'm so excited and slightly scared that I've began having insomnia since a few days ago lol. As much as I THINK I already know a lot in terms of knowledge, I'm sure I'm gonna screw something up at some point, but I won't be the first or only part of a few, which is why I'm not too worried XD.

This was some very good advise, I appreciate it a lot, and I can't wait to be a Sailor!
A very large part of what boot camp is about is intentionally putting you in an on-going stressful situation. It teaches you through strife that if your training is solid, you will fall back on it when the poo hits the fan. If you really know your material, then you have nothing to worry about because after the first couple of weeks you will figure out how to suppress the terrified part of your mind and let your body spit out the answers that are burned in.
YN2(AW)Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:24 PM   #8
contigo26

contigo26 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

We're you able to memorize the things that need to be memorized from that Start book or know before bootcamp?
contigo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #9
B-Gill9889

B-Gill9889 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by contigo26 View Post
We're you able to memorize the things that need to be memorized from that Start book or know before bootcamp?
Oh, yeah, all of that was pretty easy and I knew most of it from NJROTC, plus I've been brushing up on it so that kinda it becomes second nature. I'm just hoping I don't get too nervous in the beginning and mess up answer.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #10
SonMeeker

SonMeeker is on a distinguished road

Everything from the start guide is pretty much common knowledge in the military. Except for the aircraft. I've never had to learn that fixed-wing rotary thing after bootcamp. I'm sure if you were in aviation you'd need to learn it.
IC "A" SCHOOL GRAD DATE: [03JUN16]
Rate: ICSN
SonMeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #11
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonMeeker View Post
Everything from the start guide is pretty much common knowledge in the military. Except for the aircraft. I've never had to learn that fixed-wing rotary thing after bootcamp. I'm sure if you were in aviation you'd need to learn it.
Familiarity with it comes in handy if you end up in a squadron and are getting your EAWS. Not only are the aircraft names reflective of their mission (e.g. C-9 is a cargo plane, F/A-18 is a fighter attack, P-3 is a patrol plane) but the same letters also apply to squadron names for the most part (e.g. VFA-### is a Fixed Wing Fighter Attack squadron, VP-### is a fixed wing patrol squadron, etc.)
YN2(AW)Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #12
Raca1234
**Active Duty**

Raca1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oh, yeah, all of that was pretty easy and I knew most of it from NJROTC, plus I've been brushing up on it so that kinda it becomes second nature. I'm just hoping I don't get too nervous in the beginning and mess up answer.
don't mention NJROTC. We had some guy mention it and talk up a storm about it, they called him hero for the rest of the time.
Raca1234 is offline   Reply With Quote