NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Dapper

Dapper is on a distinguished road
Default CTN - Job: Enlisted and after

Hi all,

I've been looking at enlisting as a CTN. I wanted to go CTI, but as I started considering employment options once I'm a civilian again, CTN seems like a MUCH better way to go. So this brings me to a few questions:

1) When enlisting, if your ASVAB score is high enough, can you sign the contract placing you in the CTN role?

2) What are my restrictions on foreign travel in my free time. I like to travel and dive around the world.

3) Once working as a CTN, what opportunities do you get for further education?

4) What are the chances of working for NSA or CIA after time with the navy?

5) If CTN isn't available, what would be the next rating you'd recommend?

Thanks all for any feedback you can provide to the above questions.
Dapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Tasha360

Tasha360 is on a distinguished road

I don't want to sound like a recording or something but the Navy Cool website is a great place to visit if you want to know about the job rates, the trainings they offer and what jobs you could get after the Navy.

http://www.cool.navy.mil

Look at the CT rate threads on here too. But other than that, CTN is a great choice if you are interested in computers, networking, and hacking. And from what I hear there are plenty opportunities to work in the intellgence field with the skills you will get from CTN.
Tasha360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

Hi Dapper, I can answer a few questions. I dep'd in 2 months ago (20130403) and actually I was intending on signing for CTN but....there were no billets left and I was questioning if I had really wanted it or not.

1) I was worried about my ASVAB before going to MEPS and so I ended up doing a lot of practice questions but I was pretty much qualified for everything. Yes you can qualify. Specifically for CTN you need the following scores:

AR+2MK+GS = 222 (relatively high but doable). But you do not get the contract right away; you can get it the same day (most likely you will) but if you get held up a day or something like I did, you might miss the "jobs deadline" they have. For top security clearance jobs like the CT ratings, the liaisons have to get in contact with whoever screens the CT signers to give them a go ahead or not. I couldn't get the CTN job btw, no more slots left for it; at least by the time I went to sign and all.

2) Free time while in the Navy--thats a general question not exactly related to being a CTN. But with that top secret security clearance, I wouldn't imagine much.

3) CTN has one of the longest A Schools and also has some C schools I believe. I think this is a lot considering I think the rating sheet says its an accelerated course or something. Uhm but I guess you could try online college like in almost any other rating.

4) Chances; maybe pretty high considering you will have that TS Security Clearance and will possibly have been stationed at an NSA center as a CTN in the navy (they are "landlocked" sort of)

5) Since CTN was full for me, I picked CTM--I thought that was the next closest thing to CTN than the other ratings--but most people think CTR or CTT are I think. I'm thinking maybe I could do IT also. CTN sounds the most challenging though. What I'm second guessing about the CTM rating is I've heard its like being an ET with a TS Clearance--doesn't sound too interesting I'm more of a computer/network guy. (btw got my Network+ certification today and have had my A+ for a year)
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

So everything I am listing here is either my personal experience( with DARs and all that stuff) or part of the research I have done for my own sake. Take all of this with a grain of salt because I may be wrong or not quite right and hopefully some one AD can correct me if I am wrong so I will have the info as well! I am just a fellow loud mouth depper as well!

1) Yes you can automatically sign as a CTN if you have a qualifying ASVAB score. Unlike CTI you don't have to take an additional tests or sign as a different rate and hope you qualify! yay for that.

2) When you have free time you can travel but if you have a security clearance you have to abide by a list of places that are considered off limits. I can't seem to find the link to this! ha oh well I am sure if you googled it you would find it!

3) Navy wide the average seems to be that you can start taking classes anywhere from 6 months to a year and a half after you get to your first command. It seems to all depends on your command and when you get your basic quals out of the way.

4) I am going in as a CTI and I was wondering the same thing because it seems like it would be so easy to do this. In fact for CTIs at least your language training only makes you proficient and not professional level which is what the ABC agencies want. Which lead me to look in to analyst positions which with a security clearance seems to be easy but you are going against people who are fresh out of college and its competitive as well as alot of people don't leave those cushy jobs! ha hopefully that made sense and helped a bit!

5) Any CT rate would be an awesome advantage for you. CTI will always be the one I say go for though! ha its because its what interests me. CTR was my fall back but wasn't available at MEPS. Definitely research about 6 or 7 ratings that will interest you because the Navy has a crap ton of applicants right now and you may only get offered 3 or 4 rates that you hadn't even considered (this happened to me since I had to sign for another contract before I could try to qualify for CTI). Be open minded and keep in mind that you can sign for something that interests you even if its not CTN then you have your recruiter submit a DAR for you to try and get you a CTN position if someone drops from DEP or some how one pops open for your MEPS station. If you do this keep on your recruiter because they have to resubmit it every month!

Hope this helped and good luck!
ejrwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Dapper

Dapper is on a distinguished road
Default Follow-up Thanks

I wanted to say thanks for all the great feedback.

BronxCTM - I hope that you post more as you get further along in your A school. It's always great to hear more info.

erjwelch - How long until you know what language you'll be speaking?

shex360 - Thanks for the link. Its been a great resource.

I'll be going in to take my practice ASVAB. I have no doubt that I'll score high. Just have to make sure I score high enough...

I'll see what ratings they have right now and hopefully there's a good fit.
I'll post what happens as time goes on.

Thx
Dapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

I probably will post after boot.

If you are going in for the practice ASVAB, don't sweat the results too much. I was a down having only scored a 79 on the practice ASVAB because I told my recruiter (he asked around what range I would get on it) I would be in the 90s (I was talking with the MC recruiter at that moment).

I actually didn't do any real studying but just did practice questions. They really do help (I bought ASVAB for dummies book). I reversed the numbers and got a 97 on my actual ASVAB. Actual ASVAB is a lot "easier" than the practice ASVAB. I say "easier" because the questions are pretty similar but the scoring will probably be different--practice ASVAB I believe is a score (percentile) based on a static algorithm and isn't "renormalized" like the real ASVAB is every so often. For example (and this is just my theory, not necessarily fact), on the practice ASVAB 75% of everyone who takes it could get below a 50 but really only 50% of the people who take it are supposed to get below a 50.

As for getting exactly what you want (CTN), you'll want to do well on both tests in the math/arithmetic contingent as well as General Sciences.
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

From what I have heard I will find out about week 6 of boot camp which language I will get based on what classes start at DLI when I get there. Hoping for anything not Asian! Lol I have been working on Farsi with Rosetta stone so that would be great to get that since i already have a base for it.

The ASVAB is pretty easy and if you are confident with your math and English skills you will do well on the AFQT(the percentile score, I got a 92) and then the other portions make up your line scores to help determine what field you get. So if you are trying for CTN math and the general science will be your friends where as for CTI VE + MK + GS must add up to 165. Not to hard but then that pesky DLAB test -_- ridiculous! Anyways good luck to what ever you choose! Also either way be prepared for the security clearance and all the joy that comes with that!
ejrwelch is offline   Reply With Quote