NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Nhsk8r20

Nhsk8r20 is on a distinguished road
Default Christmas Exodus

I tried searching but couldnt find anything, forgive me if I overlooked something. I ship on Dec 5th and I was wondering what is going to happen for Christmas Exodus. Will I even begin training if its so close to the 25th or what?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhsk8r20 View Post
I tried searching but couldnt find anything, forgive me if I overlooked something. I ship on Dec 5th and I was wondering what is going to happen for Christmas Exodus. Will I even begin training if its so close to the 25th or what?

Thanks
You will definitely begin training. You maybe there an little bit longer(don't quote me on that) but you will probably have holiday routine and maybe a special meal on Christmas day.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
vabchsue

vabchsue is on a distinguished road

From experience, yes you'll be training and yes to a special meal on Christmas. If you are really close to PIR you're lucky because local community groups will "adopt" you and you'll get a really nice day with them. My son was one of those who had his PIR several days after Christmas and he had a great time and we also got a few calls from him which made our day better too.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Nhsk8r20

Nhsk8r20 is on a distinguished road

I won't be close to PIR because I will be arriving at RTC on the 5th. I was just wondering if they would start training before Xmas or after.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
vabchsue

Before......
Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

OK, my son was at boot during Christmas as well. His PIR was January 6th, so he was there for New Years as well. Way back then, family and other families were allowed to "adobt" recruits on Christmas day, but they have had problems with that, so now only the church group has permission to take ONLY those recrutis scheduled to have their PIR the following Friday, the rest have a holiday routine day only.
And for those that want to know about Thanksgiving, it is just a holiday routine day...period. My son was there for both, well actually 3 holidays counting New Years! But he was one of the lucky ones before they changed the rules on family over Christmas, his brother was allowed to adobt him and take him off base for that day...they went to dinner and the movies and had to be back on base by 2100 hrs. But too many sailors got in trouble, or drunk or what ever, so it is no longer allowed. Now only the church can take those that the RDC's feel deserve it and are close to PIR.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
vabchsue

Sue - I guess our sons were lucky then. I just remember him calling home a couple of times on Christmas day and he sounded happy so that helped us deal with it. He also PIR the first week of the New Year.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know how Christmas Exodus works while at NACCS (Or A School, for that matter)? If all goes well, I'll probably be in Pensacola for the 25th...

Last edited by Haasino; 06-09-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
sweetmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
Does anyone know how Christmas Exodus works while at NACCS (Or A School, for that matter)? If all goes well, I'll probably be in Pensacola for the 25th...
Many if not most of the A schools close down for Christmas, but I would guess it would depend on when the start of the school is. They actually call it Holiday Stand Down...but if you are in fleet, dont count on it!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
Gizmo007

Gizmo007 is on a distinguished road

Are there specific dates for Christmas Exodus every year? Like from mmddyyyy to mmddyyyy. Or is it different everytime? I'm finding out that in the military it can be one way for this person and something totally different for the other.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

At my school the dates are different every year and released several months before so that everyone can get their leave chits in.

Maximum of 2 weeks, but you can take one or none if you want.

But like they said further up, this is an a school, not a fleet thing. You're pretty unlikely to spend multiple christmases at a school - I'm in an 18 month school and even I will only spend one christmas here.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
D.Brothers

D.Brothers is on a distinguished road

Wow it just really hit me that I will be in RTC for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years...
Old 11-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #13
Jazzy

Jazzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
You will definitely begin training. You maybe there an little bit longer(don't quote me on that) but you will probably have holiday routine and maybe a special meal on Christmas day.
Yeah I believe you are correct. My boyfriend left yesterday the 4th and we were speaking to his recruiter. She advised us that it may be a little longer than 8 weeks due to them allowing the RDCs to leave for break this year. Not sure if it's just for Christmas or for Thanksgiving as well. Of course the recruits won't leave.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
sweetmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
Yeah I believe you are correct. My boyfriend left yesterday the 4th and we were speaking to his recruiter. She advised us that it may be a little longer than 8 weeks due to them allowing the RDCs to leave for break this year. Not sure if it's just for Christmas or for Thanksgiving as well. Of course the recruits won't leave.
Unless it has changed a lot...my son went in about the same time...the first week of November...his PIR was January 5th...the only holiday he got to have was since he was close to graduation was be adobted by a family for Christmas. Flying to Chicago in January was a NIGHTMARE!

Old 11-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
AyeeYoAP

AyeeYoAP is on a distinguished road

I actually shipped December 5th of last year You'll start training before Christmas. You won't be in bootcamp longer than anyone else (unless you get ASMO'd). I shipped out December 5 and graduated February 1st. You'll get holiday routine for Christmas and New Years and nice meal. You get a nice meal for MLK Day as well.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeeYoAP View Post
I actually shipped December 5th of last year You'll start training before Christmas. You won't be in bootcamp longer than anyone else (unless you get ASMO'd). I shipped out December 5 and graduated February 1st. You'll get holiday routine for Christmas and New Years and nice meal. You get a nice meal for MLK Day as well.
I also shipped out during that time, December 3, and graduated on February 1st. But that totals 9 weeks- bootcamp is usually only 8 weeks long. We had almost a week of holidays- Christmas, New Years, MLK. I was also on p-hold for a week before my division even started p-days.

So yeah, if you're there during the holiday 'season' you'll probably be there an extra week.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
AyeeYoAP

AyeeYoAP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamayamaa View Post
I also shipped out during that time, December 3, and graduated on February 1st. But that totals 9 weeks- bootcamp is usually only 8 weeks long. We had almost a week of holidays- Christmas, New Years, MLK. I was also on p-hold for a week before my division even started p-days.

So yeah, if you're there during the holiday 'season' you'll probably be there an extra week.
From the 5th??? Its 8 weeks. 8 weeks and 2 days.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
llamayamaa

December 3 - February 1 = 8 weeks 4 days

Close enough to 9 weeks… still longer than a recruit would spend normally.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #19
D.Brothers

So does that mean I could be there even longer bc I will be there for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years
Old 11-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #20
Angst

Angst is on a distinguished road

Stand down dates for leave at GL (A-school) are 20 DEC - 5 JAN.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #21
johnplisac32
**Active Duty**

johnplisac32 is on a distinguished road

yea i'm taking the time off to get married while here at GL
Old 11-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #22
D.Brothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplisac32 View Post
Congratulations!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #23
llamayamaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Brothers View Post
So does that mean I could be there even longer bc I will be there for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years
You can either expect an extra week of training to compensate for all the holidays, or a really condensed schedule to fit everything in (we took our final test and PFA the same day we did Battlestations, which was 2 days before our PIR). Also be prepared for flu season… wintertime has higher ASMO rates because so many people get sick.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #24
D.Brothers

Oh fantastic... I heard we are going to get two flu shots instead of just one
Old 11-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #25
llamayamaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Brothers View Post
Oh fantastic... I heard we are going to get two flu shots instead of just one
I don't know about the flu shot, but you'll get two penicillin shots.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #26
Gizmo007

Gizmo007 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplisac32 View Post
How did you get to do that? Because that's exactly what I'm planning to do. We're deciding on 12-28-14. Does that sound probable? I ship out in June and should be in my A school in August. They said my A school would take about a year. Just some background info
Old 07-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #27
cthornton1126

cthornton1126 is on a distinguished road

Do you think it's likely to get a phone call at least during Christmas. I ship out 20151208. It would be nice to get to talk to them on Christmas day.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:35 AM   #28
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Yes.
They treat recruits pretty well for the holidays.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Old 07-27-2015, 08:44 AM   #29
Rach4USN

Rach4USN is on a distinguished road

Glad you guys brought this topic up, I ship 20151221 and was a little curious as to the same. Although I guess it depends entirely when I leave considering it could be the first week of December or first week of January...it is getting close fast!!!

"You were given this life because you were strong enough to live it."
Closed Thread