NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
dotsonds

dotsonds is on a distinguished road
Default Submarine to Surface CTN conversion

Hi everyone, ITS2 here, coming to ask a question that I'm sure you have been hearing a lot: Rate conversions.

I'm a 4 year E-5 currently attached to submarines (ITS, not IT) and i'll be transferring after another 2 years; either separating from the navy, or moving on to shore duty (or hopefully CTN 'A' school if I get what I want).

So I've read a lot of the threads here, talking about the rate conversion, and what some of the reqs might be, etc, but I can't help but think that my situation might be a little different, considering I am from the Submarine Community, and I would be converting to the Surface Community. From my understanding, the Sub community has pretty sticky hands when it comes to letting their Sailors convert rates to anything that isn't still within their community. Do you think that this will pose an issue with my intentions to convert to CTN?

I want to do Cyber Security, Ethical Hacking, PenTesting etc when I get out of the Navy, so I can think of no better job to set me up for that then CTN. It is what I love, and unfortunately I chose the wrong job, I was under the impression that the ITs did all of that haha.

I'm not sure how I can compare the two without having gone through the school, but after we go through A school, we get a C school, and even an F school before we ever reach our boat, putting us at about a year + in the navy. I know a lot about networking and administration, asset management and reporting. Vulnerability Analysis to a degree, though not as 'hands-on' as I'm sure the CTN's do. From the outside looking in, it seems like it'd be an easy swap, considering the level of knowledge I already have, and my desire to do exactly what CTN offers; but give me your advice, do you think it is possible, and if so, what is the best way that I can approach it, should I make any preps?
dotsonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Well, the CTN community summary page says they're only taking crossrates who can pass the ION test, so I would study for that if I were you.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
Avionicsguy

Avionicsguy is on a distinguished road

DO SUBMARINERS GRoW BeArDS UNDERWaY???
Avionicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote