NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Master-at-Arms B640

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
SeaBee253

SeaBee253 is on a distinguished road
Default MA availability.

So I go back to meps in a couple of weeks to swear in and pick a rate. I really want MA, but after doing some research it seems like it's a really popular job; yet a lot of jobs are open in October or whatever. You can't believe whatever is on the Internet, so I want to ask you guys. My ASVAB score does qualify for MA. If I'm not offered MA I really hope Quarter Master might be offered. Any input would be great.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
wdpballer

wdpballer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBee253 View Post
So I go back to meps in a couple of weeks to swear in and pick a rate. I really want MA, but after doing some research it seems like it's a really popular job; yet a lot of jobs are open in October or whatever. You can't believe whatever is on the Internet, so I want to ask you guys. My ASVAB score does qualify for MA. If I'm not offered MA I really hope Quarter Master might be offered. Any input would be great.
MA is a really popular job yet everyone gets it... just hope its available when you get there. I wanted MA, now im undes and im going to try to strike for it in about 2 years. best of luck
Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
nick93

nick93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdpballer View Post
MA is a really popular job yet everyone gets it... just hope its available when you get there. I wanted MA, now im undes and im going to try to strike for it in about 2 years. best of luck
im going undes too. how do you like it? what do you do?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
wdpballer

wdpballer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick93 View Post
im going undes too. how do you like it? what do you do?
im in a school right now, its pretty easy. just need to pay attention. i hit the fleet around nov 4. reporting to a cruiser.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
Toxickiba

Toxickiba is on a distinguished road

I got MA (i ship 12/16) but my counselor at MEPS advised me that ALOT of people who "get" MA at first usually loose it once they do the second background check and find things that weren't disclosed before.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
Texasailor2015

Texasailor2015 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxickiba View Post
I got MA (i ship 12/16) but my counselor at MEPS advised me that ALOT of people who "get" MA at first usually loose it once they do the second background check and find things that weren't disclosed before.

From what I've seen MA only requires a secret security clearance as opposed to a TS that CT/IS's have to get. I would assume most of the people that lose their MA rate didn't disclose medical/financial information when going through the process at MEPS. As long as you were honest about everything you told them, I see no reason why you wouldn't pass the background check.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:34 AM   #7
AustinMA

AustinMA is on a distinguished road

For those in the same situation, my tip is once you arrive at MEPS, be on the go non-stop. I had already taken my ASVAB at an earlier date, so I was able to go straight to medical and was the first one done along with an Army recruit. I was the first to be able to pick from the list of jobs and was able to choose MA. Luckily for me it was the LAST AND ONLY job left for MA that day. So, be prompt and alert, breeze through medical, and don't be afraid to ask questions and assert yourself in order to help hasten the process so you are able to talk to the guy with the list of jobs as soon as possible. Good luck, mate!
Old 10-16-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

Navy1013 will become famous soon enough

I'm going in undes also. I think everyone that wants MA ends up undes.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
FSIdriss

FSIdriss is on a distinguished road

Because it requires a Driver's License alot f people are turned down but you have a chance. You might ship out after 6 months
Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
bluecoatmn

bluecoatmn is on a distinguished road

Anyone know why there are so many MA positions open lately? it is odd from what my recruiter said. Also, it is rare for MA to be assigned to a shipand it sounds like this is more common. does anyone have insight?
Old 10-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
FSIdriss

FSIdriss is on a distinguished road

Because Ma's have a lot of billets. Every base needs security and there are many naval bases and air stations. In addition to that i've seen MA's at joint bases and Army bases as well such as Fort Meade.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
DPearson
**Active Duty**

DPearson is on a distinguished road

I got MA as soon as i asked for it at MEPS, although my recruiter told me it was extremely popular and i might not get it, so have a couple back-up plans (Gunner's Mate and Quartermaster for me).
Old 12-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #13
Squid350
**Active Duty**

Squid350 is on a distinguished road

Best of luck with it. The rate has been good to me.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #14
DPearson
**Active Duty**

DPearson is on a distinguished road

There are so many billets because the rate is expanding. All security on Carriers will now be handled almost exclusively by MA's. There is also a new base or something in Romania they are sending any new MA's to, and of course there are several new MA's being sent to Bahrain evry couple of weeks.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:43 PM   #15
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

This thread hasn't been updated in nearly a year. Please refrain from bumping old threads to prevent the spray of outdated information.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Closed Thread

Tags
master at arms, meps, rates