NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Ask a Naval Aircrewman

I get a lot of questions via PM from AIRC and AIRR DEPpers, as well as prospective Aircrewmen and people just curious what the ratings are all about... the only problem with PM responses though, are that nobody else can benefit from the info. So I figured it might be useful to dedicate this thread for questions anyone wants answered. If you have a question, ask away! If you're wondering something more personal, feel free to still PM me.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
John213AV

John213AV is on a distinguished road

Do you ever interact with AE's or AT's? I'm an AV and will be either an AT or AE
John213AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by John213AV View Post
Do you ever interact with AE's or AT's? I'm an AV and will be either an AT or AE
All the time... both here in A School and out in the squadron. AWF students go through the AE schoolhouse, while AWV students go through the AT schoolhouse. Out in the squadron, AEs and ATs handle the repair and upkeep of our aircraft while it's on the tarmac, and hand control over to the AWF and AWV before we go out.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
AircrewmanHintz

AircrewmanHintz is on a distinguished road
Default Are you a real life Naval Aircrewman?!

What's it like being such a badass?! How can I become a badass Aircrewman like you?! <3 ;P
AircrewmanHintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by AircrewmanHintz View Post
What's it like being such a badass?! How can I become a badass Aircrewman like you?! <3 ;P
Shaddup and study your auxiliaries, Hintz!

Last edited by Haasino; 07-11-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
tyler_____

tyler_____ is on a distinguished road

Hey what sub rating for Aircrewman do you think is the best? I've been looking at all of them and I can't really tell.
tyler_____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_____ View Post
Hey what sub rating for Aircrewman do you think is the best? I've been looking at all of them and I can't really tell.
That's largely gonna be based on who you ask and what your personal preference is. I'm an AWO, and I'm glad I got that rating over V, F, or S... but that's largely my own preference. O's are hunters... we're the ones effectively running the mission on the P-3 or P-8; the TACCO may be the one to say where to drop the buoy or where to point the aircraft, but he's gonna make that call based off what the SS1/2 tells him. We hunt subs, operate cameras, monitor radar, and have a lot more Special Programs options than V's or F's do.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
Kyledmorgan

Kyledmorgan is on a distinguished road
Default A question about AWR/AWS HELO

So I'm heading up to MEPS at the end of this month to be reaped so that I can finalize my physical. I was reading something that stated that there is a 245 pound weight limit for the AW rating. Mainly because that is the weight limit for the airplane in ejection seats. So my question is since this subcategory is for helicopters and not planes, wild this still have a MAX weight to qualify.
Kyledmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyledmorgan View Post
So I'm heading up to MEPS at the end of this month to be reaped so that I can finalize my physical. I was reading something that stated that there is a 245 pound weight limit for the AW rating. Mainly because that is the weight limit for the airplane in ejection seats. So my question is since this subcategory is for helicopters and not planes, wild this still have a MAX weight to qualify.
With the S-3 Viking retired from service, there aren't actually any aircraft we crew on that are ejection seat equipped. Regardless, there are still weight considerations when flying, especially on helos which have limited lifting capability compared to fixed-wing, so I could see the 245lb restriction standing.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Kyledmorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
With the S-3 Viking retired from service, there aren't actually any aircraft we crew on that are ejection seat equipped. Regardless, there are still weight considerations when flying, especially on helos which have limited lifting capability compared to fixed-wing, so I could see the 245lb restriction standing.

Alright, and thank you for the info. Do you think they would allow me to DEP into the AW program providing I lose the weight prior to entering A school?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Alright, and thank you for the info. Do you think they would allow me to DEP into the AW program providing I lose the weight prior to entering A school?
What's your current height/weight? As long as you can meet the weight/BMI standards for the Navy and the job is available, you should be able to sign for it. You need to be aware, however, that Aircrew is a very physically and mentally demanding job... you're going to be required to attend and complete a 4-week Candidate School between RTC and A School that will push you physically and mentally to ensure you have what's required to be a Naval Aircrewman. Everything they do at NACCS is 100% perfection and by-the-regs... so if you ship to RTC right around your max BMI, you're almost certainly going to fail the tape test at NACCS. We're also held to a higher PT standard both at NACCS, and at A School... even at 28 years old, I'm required to complete my 1.5mi run 2min under what the Navy requires.

Additionally, if you show up out of shape, you're gonna be thrown into such an extreme PT routine that your body may literally not be able to handle the exertion, regardless of how determined you are. I saw a lot of candidates develop shin splints, stress fractures, prepatellar bursitis, twisted ankles, etc. from PT and end up dropped because they went Light Limited Duty and couldn't PT. One candidate f'd up his hip so bad on a run while I was there that he was not only dropped, but is being offered a medical disability retirement from the Navy after less than a year in service!

None of this is meant to frighten or discourage anyone from the job... I just want to make sure any prospective applicants are well aware of what they're getting into and can come prepared.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
Kyledmorgan

Quote:
What's your current height/weight? As long as you can meet the weight/BMI standards for the Navy and the job is available, you should be able to sign for it. You need to be aware, however, that Aircrew is a very physically and mentally demanding job... you're going to be required to attend and complete a 4-week Candidate School between RTC and A School that will push you physically and mentally to ensure you have what's required to be a Naval Aircrewman. Everything they do at NACCS is 100% perfection and by-the-regs... so if you ship to RTC right around your max BMI, you're almost certainly going to fail the tape test at NACCS. We're also held to a higher PT standard both at NACCS, and at A School... even at 28 years old, I'm required to complete my 1.5mi run 2min under what the Navy requires.

Additionally, if you show up out of shape, you're gonna be thrown into such an extreme PT routine that your body may literally not be able to handle the exertion, regardless of how determined you are. I saw a lot of candidates develop shin splints, stress fractures, prepatellar bursitis, twisted ankles, etc. from PT and end up dropped because they went Light Limited Duty and couldn't PT. One candidate f'd up his hip so bad on a run while I was there that he was not only dropped, but is being offered a medical disability retirement from the Navy after less than a year in service!

None of this is meant to frighten or discourage anyone from the job... I just want to make sure any prospective applicants are well aware of what they're getting into and can come prepared.

I actually appreciate your honesty and believe me, you have not sent me running in the other direction. From what you have told me I actually have a deeper passion to pursue this rate, because not only do I want this because I have a very strong interest in aviation, but I am also the type of person who runs toward a challenge instead of running away.

As for my height/weight I am 6'7''/284lbs. I have currently have a tape of 23.5% BF and falling. I go back to MEPS on 7/29 for a re-tape. (which me failing my tape test during my initial visit who a whole different story in itself)
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #13
Iamchriswest

Iamchriswest is on a distinguished road
Default Questions

Hey man when or how do you volunteer for aircrew? I'm enlisted as an AV in dep. Is this the time to do it? I heard I'll be in a P8a or P3c if I go through everything and I will be required to expand my contract for 6 years which is not much of a problem.
Iamchriswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
Future A Dubbz

Future A Dubbz is on a distinguished road

I've enlisted as an AW in dep and looking to go AWO when I go through Naccs and A school. I was wondering what my options for duty stations might be after i get through the schooling pipeline. Couldn't really find any info on that anywhere besides where Naccs and A school is.
Future A Dubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamchriswest View Post
Hey man when or how do you volunteer for aircrew? I'm enlisted as an AV in dep. Is this the time to do it? I heard I'll be in a P8a or P3c if I go through everything and I will be required to expand my contract for 6 years which is not much of a problem.
Unfortunately, you cannot volunteer for Aircrew as an AE/AT anymore... that ended Oct. 1st 2008 when all Aircrew duties were consolidated into the AW rating. If you want to be Aircrew, you'll need to have your recruiter submit a DAR to switch your rating from AV to either AIRC (Fixed-wing/MH-53E) or AIRR (Rescue Swimmer). Your other option will be to enlist AV, and then try to cross-rate once you hit PO2 (You can try after 2 years, but nobody is coming back here below PO2 currently).

AWOs are currently going P-3C and P-8A... you can still be on a helo if you go AWS... that'll put you on the MH-53E Sea Dragon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future A Dubbz View Post
I've enlisted as an AW in dep and looking to go AWO when I go through Naccs and A school. I was wondering what my options for duty stations might be after i get through the schooling pipeline. Couldn't really find any info on that anywhere besides where Naccs and A school is.
Currently, it's NAS Whidbey Island, WA... NAS Jacksonville, FL... and MCAS Kaneohe Bay, HI for P-3C Orions... and NAS Jacksonville for P-8A Poseidons. At the moment, the only operational P-8 squadron is VP-5 out of JAX, with VP-45 beginning acquisition soon. MCAS Kaneohe Bay is also being shut down (For the Navy), so all P-3 squadrons are being moved to Whidbey.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #16
tyler_____

One more question, how's the travel for an aircrewman? I mean I know you fly all over the place, but do you get to sightsee and whatnot?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_____ View Post
One more question, how's the travel for an aircrewman? I mean I know you fly all over the place, but do you get to sightsee and whatnot?
If you end up AWO, AWV, or AWF on a P-3 or P-8, you're going to travel a lot and learn to carpe per diem, lol. We don't deploy on ships and sleep in racks... we go to foreign air bases, always on per diem, and stay in hotels. Sometimes a mission might take you to South America for a short period, or a longer deployment could put you in Italy, Australia, Japan, S. Korea, Bahrain, etc. Some of the best per diem locations will net you over $100/day in addition to flight pay, and your base pay + whatever allowances you have for family, etc. My instructor is an AWO2 SS1, and on his last 3 month deployment to Sigonella, Italy, he flew his wife out twice and met her in Rome for a weekend... and he still came back with a lot of $$ in his bank account. We don't do a lot of tertiary BS... we don't stand watches, we don't field day/clean the hangers, and we don't work too much overtime because we're required to get 8hrs of sleep a night when on a flight schedule. As an AWO especially, you're gonna pre-mission brief... fly... debrief... work out... and then probably sight-see or sleep if deployed; depends on where you are, what type of missions you're flying, and how long you've been there.

P-3s also break... sometimes at convenient times. You may land in Ireland on your way to a NATO deployment in the Netherlands and your engine breaks; guess who spends almost a week pub-crawling in Dublin while they fly out a new engine and a crew to replace it? The pilots, TACCO, and Aircrew!

Old 07-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #18
tyler_____

Haha wow that's so awesome. I can't wait, 20130909! Thanks!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #19
lilmoemito91

Default Interested in the Rating

What would you recommend someone who is trying to go into the AIRR rating?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #20
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmoemito91 View Post
What would you recommend someone who is trying to go into the AIRR rating?
PT, swim, swim, PT, and then PT some more... lol! The PST requirements should be an easy workout for you; you not only need to pass one almost every day at RSS, but your eligibility for when you class up is based on PST scores. You also need to be very comfortable in the pool... both for NACCS and for RSS.

This video gives you a little example of what to expect...

Aviation Rescue Swimmer School

Old 07-26-2013, 02:43 AM   #21
jhollan2

jhollan2 is on a distinguished road

What are the rules for NAC on having cars during training
jhollan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #22
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollan2 View Post
What are the rules for NAC on having cars during training
No motorcycles anymore... cars are authorized once you hit Phase II after about 14 days. You'll have your own parking lot next to the sea wall.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #23
jhollan2

jhollan2 is on a distinguished road

When you have weekend liberty how far can you go from pensacola? My HOR is 330 miles from there
jhollan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #24
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollan2 View Post
When you have weekend liberty how far can you go from pensacola? My HOR is 330 miles from there
Don't quote me on this, but I believe it was 350 miles? There are three radius's: 1st is no chit or permission needed to go... 2nd requires an Out-of-Bounds Chit... 3rd requires you to take leave. 330mi isn't out the liberty radius... but you may need to get a chit.

You could always just go as long as you have reliable transportation, don't speed or do something to get in trouble, and come back on-time... but if it's out of the 1st radius and you get in trouble, you will get to see what A-PACT is like.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #25
Kyledmorgan

Default Weight question

Haasino, Did you ever find out if someone can DEP in Over the 245 pound mark as long as they had it off by the time they graduate bootcamp for AWR
Old 07-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #26
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Haasino, Did you ever find out if someone can DEP in Over the 245 pound mark as long as they had it off by the time they graduate bootcamp for AWR
I'm pretty sure we have a few rescue swimmers who are over 245 right now... they're machines! Your SpecWar advisor will probably know more about that, but as long as you're making your PST scores in DEP and pass the Navy weight/BCI standards, you shouldn't have a problem going Rescue Swimmer. Keep in mind, however that your chances of AWR vs. AWS are completely unpredictable and will be determined by manning needs at the end of RSS.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #27
Kyledmorgan

Quote:
I'm pretty sure we have a few rescue swimmers who are over 245 right now... they're machines! Your SpecWar advisor will probably know more about that, but as long as you're making your PST scores in DEP and pass the Navy weight/BCI standards, you shouldn't have a problem going Rescue Swimmer. Keep in mind, however that your chances of AWR vs. AWS are completely unpredictable and will be determined by manning needs at the end of RSS.

Thank you for the response
Old 01-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #28
ADbait09

ADbait09 is on a distinguished road

Im an AD and talked to an officer who said I could do rescue swimming as like a part time gig. How exactly does volunteering for aircrew work out. I didn't exactly want to give up my AD rate to contract as aircrew and miss out on any opportunities but I do want to do air rescue swimmer. any and all information is helpful.
ADbait09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #29
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADbait09 View Post
Im an AD and talked to an officer who said I could do rescue swimming as like a part time gig. How exactly does volunteering for aircrew work out. I didn't exactly want to give up my AD rate to contract as aircrew and miss out on any opportunities but I do want to do air rescue swimmer. any and all information is helpful.
You can no longer volunteer for Aircrew as an AD... that ended on October 1st, 2008. You must now be contracted with AIRC (Fixed-wing/MH-53) or AIRR (MH-60/Rescue Swimmer) in your contract from MEPS, to ultimately receive a rating of AWO, AWR, AWV, AWF, or AWS.

You can possibly volunteer for surface Rescue Swimmer duties, which would be a part-time tertiary duty while on a ship... but Aviation Rescue Swimmer is a skill held by full-time flyers in either the Naval Aircrewman (Tactical Helicopter) or Naval Aircrewman (Helicopter) ratings.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #30
ADbait09

Quote:
You can no longer volunteer for Aircrew as an AD... that ended on October 1st, 2008. You must now be contracted with AIRC (Fixed-wing/MH-53) or AIRR (MH-60/Rescue Swimmer) in your contract from MEPS, to ultimately receive a rating of AWO, AWR, AWV, AWF, or AWS.

You can possibly volunteer for surface Rescue Swimmer duties, which would be a part-time tertiary duty while on a ship... but Aviation Rescue Swimmer is a skill held by full-time flyers in either the Naval Aircrewman (Tactical Helicopter) or Naval Aircrewman (Helicopter) ratings.
As a rescue swimmer what do you do when your not on a mission saving a life?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #31
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
As a rescue swimmer what do you do when your not on a mission saving a life?
As an Aviation Rescue Swimmer, your primary duty is serving as a crewman on either an MH-60R or MH-60S helicopter, depending on rate... Romeo crewmen conduct Anti-Submarine Warfare, Counter-Narcotics and Counter-Piracy Operations, Search & Rescue, and limited Naval Special Warfare support operations... Sierra crewmen conduct Vertical Replenishment, Search & Rescue, and limited Naval Special Warfare support operations. Unless assigned to a SAR or CSAR squadron, most AWR's and AWS' spend 99.5% of their careers acting as helo crewmen... with that rare .5% spent doing actual rescues.

Surface Rescue Swimmers retain their normal rates and are called upon in the event someone goes overboard and needs to be rescued... it's an on-call duty similar to VBSS, Snoopy Teams, etc. You will spend your days as an AD... doing normal duties assigned as an AD... and will act as a rescue swimmer if needed. For Surface Rescue Swimmers, I'm not sure if it's a drop-of-the-hat duty, or if you are one of several assigned to occasional "shifts", similar to ASF duties on a shore command.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #32
ADbait09

Quote:
As an Aviation Rescue Swimmer, your primary duty is serving as a crewman on either an MH-60R or MH-60S helicopter, depending on rate... Romeo crewmen conduct Anti-Submarine Warfare, Counter-Narcotics and Counter-Piracy Operations, Search & Rescue, and limited Naval Special Warfare support operations... Sierra crewmen conduct Vertical Replenishment, Search & Rescue, and limited Naval Special Warfare support operations. Unless assigned to a SAR or CSAR squadron, most AWR's and AWS' spend 99.5% of their careers acting as helo crewmen... with that rare .5% spent doing actual rescues.

Surface Rescue Swimmers retain their normal rates and are called upon in the event someone goes overboard and needs to be rescued... it's an on-call duty similar to VBSS, Snoopy Teams, etc. You will spend your days as an AD... doing normal duties assigned as an AD... and will act as a rescue swimmer if needed. For Surface Rescue Swimmers, I'm not sure if it's a drop-of-the-hat duty, or if you are one of several assigned to occasional "shifts", similar to ASF duties on a shore command.
Sounds like I'll go the surface rescue swimmer route to begin with....how would I go about that. Is that something I start in boot or after I go to A school?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #33
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Sounds like I'll go the surface rescue swimmer route to begin with....how would I go about that. Is that something I start in boot or after I go to A school?
Most ships already have their rescue swimmers in place. I've never seen anyone else other than the ships crew be a rescue swimmer. They are a part of the boat crew. But I've only been on small boys. This maybe different for larger decks.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #34
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
Most ships already have their rescue swimmers in place. I've never seen anyone else other than the ships crew be a rescue swimmer. They are a part of the boat crew. But I've only been on small boys. This maybe different for larger decks.
Yeah, I couldn't tell you what the process is for going surface swimmer... other than that the school you'd have to go through is here at NAS Jacksonville.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #35
kforbs126

Quote:
Yeah, I couldn't tell you what the process is for going surface swimmer... other than that the school you'd have to go through is here at NAS Jacksonville.
Surface wise it's just a week or so course. I know every base has one. You have to be a really really good swimmer.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #36
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Surface wise it's just a week or so course. I know every base has one. You have to be a really really good swimmer.
There's only two Rescue Swimmer Schools that I'm aware of... the 5-week Aviation RSS in Pensacola, and the 4-week Surface RSS here in Jacksonville. Sure you're not thinking of the Water Survival training centers that are located on multiple bases?

Old 01-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #37
kforbs126

Quote:
There's only two Rescue Swimmer Schools that I'm aware of... the 5-week Aviation RSS in Pensacola, and the 4-week Surface RSS here in Jacksonville. Sure you're not thinking of the Water Survival training centers that are located on multiple bases?
If you are talking about rescue swimmers that are ship personnel then that is it, unless they've changed the course recently. They are on ships for man overboard and all small boat ops.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:54 AM   #38
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If you are talking about rescue swimmers that are ship personnel then that is it, unless they've changed the course recently. They are on ships for man overboard and all small boat ops.
As of September, it as still just a week.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #39
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
As of September, it as still just a week.
That's weird... there is definitely a 4-week RSS here in Jax, and it's not for Aviation Rescue Swimmers. Now I'm curious how many types of Surface Swimmers there are...

Old 01-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #40
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Here's an article from last year when the pool reopened following storm damage:

Quote:
Rescue swimmer students returned to the NAS Jax Rescue Swimmer School (RSS) for the first time in months on Jan. 8, after debris from an old ceiling had fallen into the pool and caused a safety concern, shutting the building down for repairs.

The rescue swimmer course is a rigorous four-week endeavor, subjecting students to all types of mental and physical stress in a water environment. The end goal is to create a group of rescue swimmers who are at home in a water environment with calm, collected heads and good decision-making skills.

According to AWR2 Lyle O’Dell, instructor with the NAS Jax RSS, “We like to think of this course as: Would I trust this person to be able to save my mother or grandmother if she was drowning? We purposely subject these students to rigorous tests and harsh conditions, because in the real world, they could be the difference in life or death for an overboard Sailor.”

The students are selected by their respective ships to attend the course in either Jacksonville or San Diego, as all ships must have a minimum of two certified rescue swimmers before they can get underway. After arriving at either site, students attend both classroom courses and exercises in the pool designed to strengthen their lifesaving knowledge and swimming skills. Typical classroom training includes first aid and CPR, while pool training encompasses advanced swimming, use of all types of water gear, and rescuing a drowning victim with multiple injuries. The course progressively gets harder as the weeks go on, and the instructors never let up in trying to mold the students into experts in the water.

“We stress a crawl, walk, run mentality. This course is extremely challenging, and while I never like to see anyone drop on request, there can be no mistake that we need to weed out the students who just aren’t suited to do this job,” commented O’Dell.

“We will do everything we can to push these students to their mental breaking points, and the ones who cope and keep their heads in the game are usually the ones who make it. It’s a lot like the stress of basic training, but in a water environment, which is already uncomfortable for most.”

In addition to the indoctrination course described above, designated as CAT I, the RSS also offers a two-week CAT II “refresher” course and an aviation search and rescue course, the latter designed to teach senior enlisted how to document training and evaluations of rescue swimmers in their helicopter squadron or wing.

With the repairs to the RSS ceiling completed, the staff was enthusiastic about getting back to business.

“It’s great to have this facility back up and running, and we will remain committed to providing the best training to these students that we possibly can,” said NAS Jax RSS Officer in Charge Lt. Kevin Harrington. “The lifesaving skill sets we teach these Sailors are invaluable to the fleet.”
^ So it looks like there is a second school in San Diego... probably one for West Coast and one for East Coast.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #41
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

I've never really looked into it, just know that one of our SAR swimmers went to a school for about a week to either certify or recertify before we could get underway this summer.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #42
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
I've never really looked into it, just know that one of our SAR swimmers went to a school for about a week to either certify or recertify before we could get underway this summer.
Probably CAT II... that's a refresher.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #43
mmm3

mmm3 is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for answering all of these questions. It's very helpful! I wanted to ask if you know what the pipeline looks like for a reservist (non-FTS). Are the same jobs and platforms available? Does it depend on where you drill?
mmm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #44
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm3 View Post
Thanks so much for answering all of these questions. It's very helpful! I wanted to ask if you know what the pipeline looks like for a reservist (non-FTS). Are the same jobs and platforms available? Does it depend on where you drill?
Sorry for the delay in response... the website hack kinda threw a wrench in the site for a while.

The pipeline for Reserve Aircrew is the same as the others up through A School... you'll go to RTC, then Candidate School, and then AWF A School... the only difference is that you can only get the AWF rating, and you will be waiting longer to class up for Candidate School than the Active Duty people (I don't know why... priority just goes AIRC, AIRR, Marines, Reserve). Your platform is also going to be limited... non-FTS all goes on the C-40 Clipper as flight attendants... and a very rare few can get orders to VP-62 in Jacksonville as P-3C Orion Flight Engineers... I believe there is a reserve squadron up in Whidbey Island, WA as well, but don't quote me on that.

It's also going to depend very heavily on where you drill... my roommate in A School was an AWF Reservist... he was in Pensacola for over a year, then graduated and went home to Indiana. It's going on 6 months later now, and he doesn't do any Aircrew duties, nor has he gone to follow-on schools... he just does computer-based training on his drill weekends. He also didn't have a career already lined up and was talked into Reserve Aircrew by his recruiter, so he's having a lot of issues right now.

It's possible that you might have more options though... there's a very real likelihood that, by the time you leave Pensacola, AWF might no longer exist and you'll leave an AE... AWF and AWV currently sit at 3% advancement to E-5, and 0% advancement to E-6... this is due to the disestablishment of the P-3 Flight Engineer and In-Flight Technician billets as the Orion is slowly replaced by the P-8A Poseidon. This is causing major issues for the F's and V's in the EP-3E and E-6B squadrons because, while the P-3 AWF's and AWV's are being given the option of cross-rating to AWO, the EP-3E and E-6B AWF's and AWV's are stuck with no advancement. To address this, there is a proposal to disestablish the AW[x] series ratings and go back to what it used to be prior to 2008... with the Aviation Warfare Systems Operators like me being the true AW's, and the Flight Engineers, In-Flight Technicians, and helo crewmen volunteering from the AE, AT, AM, AD, and other aviation mech, tron, and airframer ratings. This would allow them to remain Aircrew, while advancing at the % of their surface aviation ratings... it would also give regular AE/AT/AD/AM/etc. sailors the opportunity to volunteer for Aircrew duties after completing A School, should the need arise.

I realize most of what I just said might sound like Greek to you... so I'll simplify it with this: as long as you have a stable career and live near a Naval Air Station, Reserve Aircrew will be a fine opportunity. But if you don't already have a career, or you don't live near a NAS, you are likely to spend a long time away from family, only to come home and not use any of your training. If you fall into the latter category, I'd personally recommend either pursuing Active Duty Aircrew prior to shipping, or research other Reserve ratings that are useful at your local drill center.

That's just my $.02 as an Active Duty AWO who has seen what my Reserve AWF classmates are going home to...

Old 02-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #45
mmm3

mmm3 is on a distinguished road

Okay, thanks for all the information.
mmm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #46
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm3 View Post
Okay, thanks for all the information.
No problem! Let me know if you've got any more questions...

Old 03-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #47
BOHICA IDRC

BOHICA IDRC is on a distinguished road
Default Aloha future nuggets

Hello a little about myself I am a former VP 30 instructor with both P3 and P8 experience so if you guys have any questions feel free to ask.
BOHICA IDRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #48
BigCat91

BigCat91 is on a distinguished road
Default Non-FTS Reservists

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in response... the website hack kinda threw a wrench in the site for a while.

The pipeline for Reserve Aircrew is the same as the others up through A School... you'll go to RTC, then Candidate School, and then AWF A School... the only difference is that you can only get the AWF rating, and you will be waiting longer to class up for Candidate School than the Active Duty people (I don't know why... priority just goes AIRC, AIRR, Marines, Reserve). Your platform is also going to be limited... non-FTS all goes on the C-40 Clipper as flight attendants... and a very rare few can get orders to VP-62 in Jacksonville as P-3C Orion Flight Engineers... I believe there is a reserve squadron up in Whidbey Island, WA as well, but don't quote me on that.

It's also going to depend very heavily on where you drill... my roommate in A School was an AWF Reservist... he was in Pensacola for over a year, then graduated and went home to Indiana. It's going on 6 months later now, and he doesn't do any Aircrew duties, nor has he gone to follow-on schools... he just does computer-based training on his drill weekends. He also didn't have a career already lined up and was talked into Reserve Aircrew by his recruiter, so he's having a lot of issues right now.

It's possible that you might have more options though... there's a very real likelihood that, by the time you leave Pensacola, AWF might no longer exist and you'll leave an AE... AWF and AWV currently sit at 3% advancement to E-5, and 0% advancement to E-6... this is due to the disestablishment of the P-3 Flight Engineer and In-Flight Technician billets as the Orion is slowly replaced by the P-8A Poseidon. This is causing major issues for the F's and V's in the EP-3E and E-6B squadrons because, while the P-3 AWF's and AWV's are being given the option of cross-rating to AWO, the EP-3E and E-6B AWF's and AWV's are stuck with no advancement. To address this, there is a proposal to disestablish the AW[x] series ratings and go back to what it used to be prior to 2008... with the Aviation Warfare Systems Operators like me being the true AW's, and the Flight Engineers, In-Flight Technicians, and helo crewmen volunteering from the AE, AT, AM, AD, and other aviation mech, tron, and airframer ratings. This would allow them to remain Aircrew, while advancing at the % of their surface aviation ratings... it would also give regular AE/AT/AD/AM/etc. sailors the opportunity to volunteer for Aircrew duties after completing A School, should the need arise.

I realize most of what I just said might sound like Greek to you... so I'll simplify it with this: as long as you have a stable career and live near a Naval Air Station, Reserve Aircrew will be a fine opportunity. But if you don't already have a career, or you don't live near a NAS, you are likely to spend a long time away from family, only to come home and not use any of your training. If you fall into the latter category, I'd personally recommend either pursuing Active Duty Aircrew prior to shipping, or research other Reserve ratings that are useful at your local drill center.

That's just my $.02 as an Active Duty AWO who has seen what my Reserve AWF classmates are going home to...

This just made me feel skeptical about my job selection. I'm going SELRES Aircrewman and will be stationed in Newport, RI, where I know there is no air field. It sounds like I'm going to be one of those guys who end up training on a computer during drill weekend. Basic isn't until September, should I fill out a DAR request form ASAP or is there hope? Any advice would help.
BigCat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #49
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat91 View Post
This just made me feel skeptical about my job selection. I'm going SELRES Aircrewman and will be stationed in Newport, RI, where I know there is no air field. It sounds like I'm going to be one of those guys who end up training on a computer during drill weekend. Basic isn't until September, should I fill out a DAR request form ASAP or is there hope? Any advice would help.
So you're a weekend Reservist, not FTS? I'll be honest with you, dude... I honestly just don't know enough about what AWF weekend reservists actually do to give you solid advice. I'd hate to tell you, "yeah, put in a DAR" and it turns out there were actually opportunities for you. The best advice I can offer would be to press your recruiter to take you over to whatever Reserve Center you're going to be assigned to, and try to figure out what it is you guys do.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #50
LT Guppy

Quote:
So you're a weekend Reservist, not FTS? I'll be honest with you, dude... I honestly just don't know enough about what AWF weekend reservists actually do to give you solid advice. I'd hate to tell you, "yeah, put in a DAR" and it turns out there were actually opportunities for you. The best advice I can offer would be to press your recruiter to take you over to whatever Reserve Center you're going to be assigned to, and try to figure out what it is you guys do.
I agree. You could also call the Reserve Center and ask to talk to the Chief (I'd let your recruiter know beforehand)