NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-23-2017, 01:36 AM   #1
Haydaman712

Haydaman712 is on a distinguished road
Default Attaining your security clearance.

When does the process start? Also besides the criminal/legal background check is there a medical background check? As in do they conduct a separate medical check (unrelated to what MEPS already has on record and the flight physical) into your past medical history?
Haydaman712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

It's different for different people. It depends on their workload when they can get to you. My clearance started before I left for boot camp. As for medical records, they won't check those unless one of your reference brings something up. For example, if John Smith says, "I'm really proud of how he overcame his bipolar disorder, and decided to join the Navy." Otherwise they won't check medical records.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #3
contigo26

contigo26 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbazu View Post
It's different for different people. It depends on their workload when they can get to you. My clearance started before I left for boot camp. As for medical records, they won't check those unless one of your reference brings something up. For example, if John Smith says, "I'm really proud of how he overcame his bipolar disorder, and decided to join the Navy." Otherwise they won't check medical records.
so what happens if it got started before bootcamp and you backed out and didnt want to join anymore just curious what will happen?
contigo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
CoolHandL

CoolHandL is just really niceCoolHandL is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by contigo26 View Post
so what happens if it got started before bootcamp and you backed out and didnt want to join anymore just curious what will happen?
What are worried might happen? The worst case is that some taxpayer money is wasted. And the government finds out some stuff about you. If you back out, that is the end of the story. They aren't going to come after you about anything.
Somewhere in all those forms is one that authorizes the military to conduct a background check. In answer to your original question, that is when you can assume the process starts. If you have something that you don't want the government to know, best not to sign that form. If there is something that might disqualify you for entry, just disclose it and seek any waivers you might need.
CoolHandL is offline   Reply With Quote