NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
mich313

mich313 is on a distinguished road
Default Life in Pensacola

I leave for Boot in October and as that date approaches (113 days!) tons of questions about A-School have occurred to me! Any/all information will be greatly appreciated!

How was IT A-School? Easy or difficult?

Did you go to C-School?

Mac or PC based, or both?

Is there liberty for things like kayaking or other water sports? Or is that even an option?

Was there a wait time for you to class up or did you go straight from Boot to A-School?

Can family come visit on base?
Ship Date 20141008
mich313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Spook

Spook will become famous soon enough

From what I've learned from my recruiter, A school can be a challenge but not too hard. C school is likely. As for liberty, Im pretty sure you'll have time to do that. I was told that there are plenty of things to do for recreation. For the first few weeks at A school lifestyle remains the same as bootcamp. After a while everyone gains freedom. So things like tattoos can be done. As for the wait, my recruiters have told me people go straight to A school after boot camp. I'm not sure if family can visit ON base, but I was told weekends are free to do with what you want

Hope that helped
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich313 View Post
I leave for Boot in October and as that date approaches (113 days!) tons of questions about A-School have occurred to me! Any/all information will be greatly appreciated!

How was IT A-School? Easy or difficult?

Did you go to C-School?

Mac or PC based, or both?

Is there liberty for things like kayaking or other water sports? Or is that even an option?

Was there a wait time for you to class up or did you go straight from Boot to A-School?

Can family come visit on base?

IT A-school for most is pretty easy. It's a self paced course overall so you can take most of it at your own pace (although there is some direct instruction).

C-school comes on an as-needed basis based on what billet you going to be filling in the fleet (what orders you got). If you're being sent somewhere that needs a specific skill set, then you're probably going to a C-school. If they just need a basic IT, then probably not. But don't sweat that so much; you'll be going to PLENTY of schools once you get to your duty station. C-Schools cost the Navy a ton of money, so if there isn't an immediate need to send you then they aren't going to fork over the thousands of dollars its going to take to send you.

We won't discuss what systems you'll be using since they are in a classified compound. You'll find out when you get there, but don't stress it. You'll be fine.
Adding on to that however; EVERYTHING YOU DO in that compound needs to stay protected. You're going to be around a lot of classified material so you need to always be wary of what you're saying and doing around others. Even if you're with your classmates while you're not in a secure facility. What you do at work, stays at work. Period. I've seen a guy lose his clearance for blabbing online about how class was and what they were doing. He got sent Undesignated and is chipping paint somewhere.

Family can absolutely come visit you on base. Just make sure you aren't taking any photos of the school houses (again, these hold classified shit so we don't need a bunch of photos going around). I personally had a confiscate a few cameras for that very reason. But other than that it shouldn't be an issue.

Once you have full liberty you can do whatever you want to as long as you're not getting in trouble, going to far from base (this varies for each base; ask your chain of command) or generally just doing anything you aren't supposed to. You're an adult and it's up to you to make sure you manage your time and activities. But if you want to kayaking then go kayaking! =]

More than likely you're going to go into a holding company once you get there. They will wrap up any security clearance issues you might have as well as get you acclimated to the base, get you into a duty section, ect. The wait time varies for each sailor based on their own situations and it also just depends how many Sailors they're pushing through the course at that time. Expect to be in holding for a least a month or 2.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
So things like tattoos can be done.
Also a bit of advice for both you on this one.

DON'T BE THAT GUY/GIRL. Wait until you actually have some time in the fleet before you go get USN plastered on yourself somewhere. For someone who just graduated boot camp it looks a little ridiculous since you basically joined the Navy yesterday. So just keep in mind; yes, people will make fun of you if you get a tattoo immediately after boot.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
mich313

mich313 is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for that information! Very helpful!

In regards to C-School, I have a 6 year contract, I thought that guaranteed C-School after A-School. Is that not the case?!
Ship Date 20141008
mich313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:

In regards to C-School, I have a 6 year contract, I thought that guaranteed C-School after A-School. Is that not the case?!
Like I said, it depends on what billet you're filling. If your contract has you billeted for something specific (for CTT's operators are 4yrs but techs have a C-school and are 6yrs) then you most likely will have a follow on school.

/r
CTT1
Old 09-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
Austin618

Austin618 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm currently here on Corry. I too am a 6 year IT. You will have a C-School following your A-School. That's why you have the 6 year contract rather than the 4 year. Also, due to you having that contract you will advance to E-4 upon reaching your first command after C-School.

I won't go into too much detail as to what school looks like, as it is in a secure compound and though some of the material is accessible to the everyday public, I won't disclose that information here.
Austin618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
jody13

jody13 is on a distinguished road

Hi ctt1.. My daughter leaves tomorrow. . Its so exciting and crazy at the same time. . Thanks for all ur input. I think she'll be in good hands. . Thanks again, jody13
jody13 is offline   Reply With Quote