NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
ypahuLS808

ypahuLS808 is on a distinguished road
Default Leaving for bootcamp next week!

Hello, I am currently in the DEP program and was supposed to leave next year august but got rolled in a lot earlier (nov 6) my rate is LS..

I had a few questions and I'll get straight to the point.

1. I'm from Hawaii, and was wondering when would my first leave be to go visit?

2. My mom and younger sister will be attending my graduation, how soon can they be notified so that my mom can request for a leave?

3. I'm a graduate of Youth Challenge Academy (we live in army barracks for 6months). If you are not familiar with it, it is a 6 month program that consist of PT and school very similar to basic training. Anyway, I was told that I would be eligible to enlist as a e2/e3 i forgot and I do have college credits though I know it's not enough. Now my question is if anyone has knowledge about YCA's influence on rank when enlisting in?

4. What are holidays like when you're in bootcamp?

5. Any tips or advice?
ypahuLS808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

1. You can take leave after A school before you report to your first command.

2. They will receive an information packet about 2 weeks after you get there. Assuming you don't get rolled back, that packet will have your graduation date.

3. I've never heard of YCA being on the list that advances you. Its worth asking your recruiter, though at this point it may be too late.

4. Holidays tend to be relatively relaxed. You usually get at least part of the day off. And they do big meals for Christmas/Thanksgiving, which tend to be much more causal than any other time there.

5. Pay attention. Do as you're told. You'll be fine.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
ypahuLS808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
1. You can take leave after A school before you report to your first command.

2. They will receive an information packet about 2 weeks after you get there. Assuming you don't get rolled back, that packet will have your graduation date.

3. I've never heard of YCA being on the list that advances you. Its worth asking your recruiter, though at this point it may be too late.

4. Holidays tend to be relatively relaxed. You usually get at least part of the day off. And they do big meals for Christmas/Thanksgiving, which tend to be much more causal than any other time there.

5. Pay attention. Do as you're told. You'll be fine.
Thanks man!

3. Yeah I asked my recruiter but they have no idea what YCA is... Kind of a bummer since most of our "cadres" aka drill sergeants said that we would be able to enlist as e2/e3.

By the way how do we shop at the NEX? I'm confused, they give us a gift card? or do we bring cash
Old 11-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypahuLS808 View Post
Thanks man!

3. Yeah I asked my recruiter but they have no idea what YCA is... Kind of a bummer since most of our "cadres" aka drill sergeants said that we would be able to enlist as e2/e3.

By the way how do we shop at the NEX? I'm confused, they give us a gift card? or do we bring cash
The night you get there, you'll be issued a NEX 'gift' card with a set amount on it (it comes from your first paycheck, they don't give it to you for free). You use that card that night to ship your belongings back, purchase postage stamps, and a few other things. When you make your first NEX run a couple weeks into training, you can either use your NEX card, cash, or a debit/credit card.

Also, you might want to allow 2-3 weeks after your leaving for your family to receive your form letter with your graduation date on it. The date it goes out is dependent on how long you're in p-days (and possibly p-hold), and the fact that the letter will be going from IL to HI.
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #5
ypahuLS808

Thanks!