NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
gregmosu

gregmosu is on a distinguished road
Default Sorry for yet another PT question

Still trying to get myself in shape and have a few more questions...

Running: Do you run every other day? And do you slowely build up to the 2 mile runs?

Do you do leg workouts every day or every other day as well?

How fast paced is the PT? Do you get any periods of rest between sets?

I've been doing mountain climbers, 8-count bodybuilders and jumping jacks every day for circuit training(as well as numerous others - navy seal videos on youtube). I do the exercises I've found online and it takes me about and hour and a half to get through them and I'm wiped out after doing it all. Do you do those exercises every day??? If so, I don't know that I could keep this up 6 days a week for 7 weeks.

What happens during a day in bootcamp. Are you always on your feet running around, or do you have periods of time where you're not doing physical activity.

what happens on Sundays?

Thanks!
gregmosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

Well I just got membership at a local gym with a swimming pool in it a few weeks ago and I definitely notice some improvements. I've been running/swimming everyday I go along with whatever workout I've been doing in the gym.

I start out my workout days with a jog from the gym down the street to this specific sign and back. I want to say its like a mile and a quarter, not sure exactly. It's been taking me a little over 8 minutes to do the trek most of the time (I would be pretty winded after getting to the stop sign and would rest for 30-40 seconds lol--I guess maybe because its a lot of hills and its pretty early in the morning when I go). Today I noticed it was tremendously easier....30 seconds easier to be exact. And those runs were really just my warmup runs. Only have been on two "longer" runs since I've been there--one maybe 2.5 miles (yesterday), and one 3.5 miles (2 weeks ago).

But I did track last year in HS (only year also) and I remember my first "warmup 2 miles." I didn't think I could do it but it was pretty easy actually--of course at a pretty slow 8:15 pace or so. The human body can run/go pretty far, farther than any animal actually. I would say run the 2 miles right away, don't build up for it--just go faster each time for it or try to.

Since the gym is 30 minutes away I would only go 3-4 days a week so one of my days would be a dedicated leg and core workout day and on my last day (a friday usually) of the week I will try to hit everything.
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
alex.martinez

alex.martinez is on a distinguished road

There is a schedule for every day in bootcamp. You wont have sheduled PT every day but that doesnt mean you wont work out or do physical activity. The pt for the most part is a joke. Its the disiplinary pt, IT, that sucks. To be honest that wasnt even that bad and dont be afraid of it. Every one gets "beat" .
Old 09-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmosu View Post
Still trying to get myself in shape and have a few more questions...

Running: Do you run every other day? And do you slowely build up to the 2 mile runs?

Yes, you go to Freedom Hall every other day. For the most part you work up as far as running for longer periods of time as the weeks go on, but the PFAs will always be a mile and a half and you run those starting in week 1.

Do you do leg workouts every day or every other day as well?

If you go to Freedom Hall you'll be running unless it's B.A.S.E.S. and even then you'll run some. If you stay in the compartment you'll be doing pushups and situps and jumping jacks and arm circles and all that fun stuff. Not really leg stuff.

How fast paced is the PT? Do you get any periods of rest between sets?

It's fairly fast paced, you don't really get breathers. Generally you switch between ab stuff and arm stuff back and forth.

I've been doing mountain climbers, 8-count bodybuilders and jumping jacks every day for circuit training(as well as numerous others - navy seal videos on youtube). I do the exercises I've found online and it takes me about and hour and a half to get through them and I'm wiped out after doing it all. Do you do those exercises every day??? If so, I don't know that I could keep this up 6 days a week for 7 weeks.

Mountain climbers and 8 counts are not done for PT in a regular division. They're IT - which means that their frequency depends entirely on how much your division/you personally screw up. However, RDCs have a card for IT that says exactly how long they can make someone do this exercise or that one. I never saw an IT session last an hour and a half - but it could depend on the RDC and the mistake in question. IT can get a lot more creative/less physical than 8 counts though.

What happens during a day in bootcamp. Are you always on your feet running around, or do you have periods of time where you're not doing physical activity.

You will be on your feet more often than not but that's not to say there's never down time. You will have lots of inspection practices which mostly involve standing still for long periods of time and you'll always be seated during classes (unless you're falling asleep). You'll probably march several miles a day though.

what happens on Sundays?

Sunday mornings is break time where you're allowed to go to church (you'll still have to march there) or write letters, shine your boots, shower as long as you want etc. You're generally allowed to sit down on the floor during this time but it is a privilege and frequently gets taken away when people are too loud, leave their a&b drawers unlocked, etc etc.

Thanks!
A lot of this can depend on your RDCs/type of division. 800 divs have more challenging IT cards than regular divs. Most of the creative IT that I heard of came from the 900 divs. Things like being told to stand there and yell at your hook (that you forgot to tuck in) until it went it by itself, endless jumping jacks in circles, shaking your mattresses etc . . . Our RDCs told people to watch the clock sometimes but for the most part they went right to the exercises.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
aecfjohnnydep

aecfjohnnydep is on a distinguished road

you will be on your feet all day every day pretty much. except for a few hours on sunday where you can sit cross legged on the floor while you shine your boots or most likely write letters.

if you can do the workouts you're doing now, you will be able to make it through with the motivation of your RDC's and shipmates.

one helpful tip: wear two pairs of socks with your boots, especially while you are breaking them in. also tie the boots pretty tight, these two things will help prevent blisters. i folded down a pair of white pt socks under my black socks every day and never had a blister.
aecfjohnnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
gregmosu

Thanks for the replies. I have a bad knee and I'm still trying to determine whether or not I can get through this. The standing and walking all day is not really and issue. I do this working construction over the summers anyways.

The workouts I've been doing include 8-count bodybuilders, jumping jacks, squats, mountain climbers, leg lifts, crunches(regular & reverse), lunges across the room and back, flutter kicks, pushups(regular + diamond) + 45 minutes of walking/jogging.

I do this routine nearly every day and it's wiping me out + my knees hurt. I guess I just needed to know that what I'm doing is WAY more than what I'll face in boot camp.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Yeah, you sound like you'll do okay. Just remember, there's a difference between "standing all day" and "standing AT ATTENTION all day". You might want to put some practice as it does get hard on your knees when your feet are in that position and you're trying to stand absolutely still.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

You also need to keep in mind that PT doesn't stop after RTC... in fact, it was a joke compared to A School PT.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
gregmosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
You also need to keep in mind that PT doesn't stop after RTC... in fact, it was a joke compared to A School PT.
There's not a whole lot of info on that. I read somewhere that it's 3 days a week. What sort of PT do you do during A school?
Old 09-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
gregmosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
Yeah, you sound like you'll do okay. Just remember, there's a difference between "standing all day" and "standing AT ATTENTION all day". You might want to put some practice as it does get hard on your knees when your feet are in that position and you're trying to stand absolutely still.
Is this mostly done while standing guard, or do you do this while receiving instruction as well?
Old 09-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There's not a whole lot of info on that. I read somewhere that it's 3 days a week. What sort of PT do you do during A school?
It varies depending on the school... but usually consists of lots of formation runs... 3-5mi at an 8min-10min/mile pace. If you fall out on the runs, or struggle during the exercises, you might PT every day during the week. Some schools are tougher than that... some are easier... it's hard to get details without talking to someone specific to your rating.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Is this mostly done while standing guard, or do you do this while receiving instruction as well?
Nah, watch isn't bad because you rove every 20 minutes or so, you don't really have to stand still for that long.

I was thinking of inspections (and all of the practice inspections your RDCs will do to get you ready for them). Inspections can go like two hours, depending on how thorough they're being and you just have to stand at attention in front of your bunk and stare straight forward. You also stand at attention whenever you're in formation but not moving, when talking to an RDC, when the RDCs are mad at your division but not mad enough (or too lazy to) IT you etc.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
gregmosu

Quote:
It varies depending on the school... but usually consists of lots of formation runs... 3-5mi at an 8min-10min/mile pace. If you fall out on the runs, or struggle during the exercises, you might PT every day during the week. Some schools are tougher than that... some are easier... it's hard to get details without talking to someone specific to your rating.
I would be in Corpus Christi, TX as a mineman.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #14
gregmosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
Nah, watch isn't bad because you rove every 20 minutes or so, you don't really have to stand still for that long.

I was thinking of inspections (and all of the practice inspections your RDCs will do to get you ready for them). Inspections can go like two hours, depending on how thorough they're being and you just have to stand at attention in front of your bunk and stare straight forward. You also stand at attention whenever you're in formation but not moving, when talking to an RDC, when the RDCs are mad at your division but not mad enough (or too lazy to) IT you etc.
I did practice a little bit last night while watching some tv.. I can imagine it's not real exciting when you're actually waiting for and RDC to inspect you.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
Angst

Angst is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My finger is pretty jacked from doing pt on a mouse for ten hours a day every day.

#CBT workout extreme.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
gregmosu

Thanks agian for the replies.

It's nice to know there are not going to be 8-count bodybuilders and burpees and things like that. It's still a tough decision since boot camp will still not be easy.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #17
Angst

Angst is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks agian for the replies.

It's nice to know there are not going to be 8-count bodybuilders and burpees and things like that. It's still a tough decision since boot camp will still not be easy.
They save the fun stuff for when they beat you.

you will do plenty of ten counts, flutter kicks, and 4 count jacks while getting screamed at and cursed out. Your division will be loud all the time. You will get beat for the actions and stupidity of others. It will make you strong.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
gregmosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
They save the fun stuff for when they beat you.

you will do plenty of ten counts, flutter kicks, and 4 count jacks while getting screamed at and cursed out. Your division will be loud all the time. You will get beat for the actions and stupidity of others. It will make you strong.
What are 10 counts? I googled em, but only found more info on 8 count BBs.

Why do they call them 4 count jumping jacks?

What else do they do for IT when you get beat?
Old 09-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #19
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

What are 10 counts? I googled em, but only found more info on 8 count BBs. 8 counts with an extra push up

Why do they call them 4 count jumping jacks? it's just the way they're counted. 2 complete jumping jacks is "one"

What else do they do for IT when you get beat? lunges, push ups, flutter kicks, air squats, run in place

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #20
gregmosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
What are 10 counts? I googled em, but only found more info on 8 count BBs. 8 counts with an extra push up

Why do they call them 4 count jumping jacks? it's just the way they're counted. 2 complete jumping jacks is "one"

What else do they do for IT when you get beat? lunges, push ups, flutter kicks, air squats, run in place
Ok, thanks!