NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AG = AEROGRAPHERS MATE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
thatnavyguy87

thatnavyguy87 is on a distinguished road
Default Prior Service Question

Afternoon folks,
I am a prior service Marine vet, and just recently re-enlisted in the Navy reserve as an AG. I know that I have to go to A school, which was stated in my contract. However, I read that AG's are "supposed" to go to C school by the 4-6 year mark in their career. I am currently at 5.5 years TIS, and wondering if you have heard of an E-3 going through A school and then immediately reporting to C school. Thanks for any info.

AGAN Langan
thatnavyguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Since you're going in as an E3, I wouldn't expect to go directly through C school.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Once you get to your reserve command start poking them about getting you schools. Reserves move at a muuuuuch slower pace than what you're going to be used to coming from the Active force, so be patient. It can literally take years sometimes, but in the grand scheme of your reserve career that's really nothing.

/r
CTT1
Old 02-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Also, congrats on making the return trip. We're glad to have you back!

/r
CTT1
Old 02-20-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatnavyguy87 View Post
Afternoon folks,
I am a prior service Marine vet, and just recently re-enlisted in the Navy reserve as an AG. I know that I have to go to A school, which was stated in my contract. However, I read that AG's are "supposed" to go to C school by the 4-6 year mark in their career. I am currently at 5.5 years TIS, and wondering if you have heard of an E-3 going through A school and then immediately reporting to C school. Thanks for any info.

AGAN Langan
It is not totally unheard of, but not very likely. When they say 4-6 year mark they really mean Time in Rate. Having said that, even YNs can get picked up for Flag Writer right out of A school, and that is one of the most selective programs in the entire Navy. So it ~can~ happen.
YN2(AW)Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #6
Mparker181

Mparker181 is on a distinguished road

AG3 Buritica here. Not sure if you still check this but none of the above is 100% true as an AG. Because the way our job works the push you to go to C school as fast as possible, even in the reserve. The reserve component goes through a much different C school however and can be done through online courses mainly. They are just now phasing out the fast paced class down in Gulfport. At 2 years most of the AGs I work with are off to C school, with the exception of me because I chose not to reenlist as an AG at this time (stupid choice).
Mparker181 is offline   Reply With Quote