NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Mineman C160

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation
Default More MN rating info stuff...

Mineman (MN)

Minemen test, maintain, and repair mines and their components. They are responsible for assembling, testing, and delivering mines to the planting agent. They maintain mine-handling and mine-laying equipment.

Minemen perform their duties at sea aboard minesweepers assisting in the detection and neutralization of underwater mines. Ashore, minemen are technicians who test, assemble and maintain underwater explosive devices (mines). They test various electronic components to ensure proper repair and make sure that the mine works properly. They are also responsible for safe storage, handling and loading of mines for transporting.

The duties performed by minemen include:
  • functioning in the minesweeping tactical nerve center (CIC) of their ships as part of the command and control team;
  • handling and operating deck-loaded mine neutralization equipment;
  • performing maintenance on and assembling mines;
  • performing electrical and electronic checks and tests of circuitry and components;
  • solving complex electronic problems when tests fail;
  • operating various types of mine handling equipment such as forklifts, cranes and heavy transport trucks;
  • operating various types of hand equipment such as sandblasters, grinders and pneumatic torque tools;
  • working with basic mechanic hand tools, electrical meters and electronic test equipment.
Working Environment
Work in the MN rating is usually performed in a small shop-type setting. Minemen work closely as a team, and individual jobs require both physical and mental talents at sea and ashore.

A-School (Job School) Information
Ingleside, TX --103 calendar days

Security Clearance Requirement: Secret

Other Requirements
  • Must have normal color perception
  • Must be a U.S. Citizen
Sea/Shore Rotation for This Rating
  • First Sea Tour: 42 months
  • First Shore Tour: 36 months
  • Second Sea Tour: 36 months
  • Second Shore Tour: 36 months
  • Third Sea Tour: 36 months
  • Third Shore Tour: 36 months
  • Fourth Sea Tour: 36 months
  • Forth Shore Tour: 36 months
Note: Sea tours and shore tours for sailors that have completed four sea tours will be 36 months at sea followed by 36 months ashore until retirement.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Zachdaniel

Zachdaniel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
A-School (Job School) Information
Ingleside, TX --103 calendar days
I heard the MN's A School is San Diego, Ca.
Now on the paper MEPS gave me the "About your Rate" if you will it said Ingleside, Tx as well 11weeks and the same with a few other places but then I read that the base/ school was closed and moved to San Diego.. I'm not quite sure where it is becuase I cant really dig up the info on it. Do you know if that is true and do you know if the length is still 11weeks at A school? and info would help. thanks in advance.
Zachdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
Zachdaniel

Zachdaniel is on a distinguished road

UPDATE: I recently spoke with LPO of Mineman A-School. He verified that A-School is now in San Diego, Ca and is 13weeks long.
Zachdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote