NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
bbeau

bbeau is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for information on CTNs and ITs

The two rates that interest me are CTN and IT. I want to work with computers.
What is the advancement like within A/C school and after? i.e what will you graduate A school as?
What are common duty stations for CTNs and ITs.
What kind of jobs can you get after the navy with these rates?
Thank you.
bbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Malarkey

Malarkey is on a distinguished road

1. Gonna say the same thing to you that I tell everyone, don't go to MEPS with one or two choices of rates. Chances are, you're not going to get offered either depending on scores or availability. If you do, you're one of the lucky ones. Remember both require a TS clearance so if you have out of country relatives, debt, any run-ins with the law, drug use, you can basically kiss that goodbye.

2. As of May the CREO listing for both rates is 1, which means advancement is a bit above normal, as long as you're good at your job. I'm an ITS and I have guaranteed E-4 in my contract, but I'm also ATF (6yr contract, extra training).

3. CTN's get stationed usually at any of the Intel centers. SOCOM, NORCOM, Ft. Bragg I think, etc. IT's can be stationed ANYWHERE. They are needed everywhere.

4. Anything computer related. IT's are a bit more marketable but both deal with network surety and administration.
Malarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarkey View Post
1. Gonna say the same thing to you that I tell everyone, don't go to MEPS with one or two choices of rates. Chances are, you're not going to get offered either depending on scores or availability. If you do, you're one of the lucky ones. Remember both require a TS clearance so if you have out of country relatives, debt, any run-ins with the law, drug use, you can basically kiss that goodbye.
Or, be prepared to walk away from the Navy if you're not offered the job you want.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
zinzara

zinzara is on a distinguished road

I'm currently in CTN "A" school. Basically ITs are computer repair and keep things running. You will spend time getting your A+ certification and then move on to some networking like setting up/administering networks. CTNs are specifically on the networking side of things and deal a lot more with security, vulnerability analysis, programming, forensics, and exploitation. Both could get you a good job in the civilian world making some dough. CTNs and ITs have the 4year/6year choice. With 6 year you get extra training and advancement to E-4 at graduation of A school. You might also check out the CTM rating. It's basically kinda like the IT rating but you work with the CTs and do maintenance on the computers and equipment. ITs work more with the fleet in general. As an IT you can get stationed basically anywhere. Shore, Sea, Overseas. CTNs basically stick around in the states mostly. We get sent to the NSA's different locations around the country. CTN's have been getting sent to Virginia Beach lately for some reason.

ITs can get jobs as computer repair, network admins, network technicians, most things you would associate with the general computer field.

CTNs can get jobs as network security professionals, certified ethical hackers, network admins, computer forensics analysts.
zinzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
zinzara

zinzara is on a distinguished road

I do somewhat agree with the not going to MEPS only wanting one thing. Although that is exactly what I did. I wanted CTN and I got CTN (almost didn't). But I was very direct and had a little luck on my side. I got an 89 on my AFQT and my ASVAB line scores were definitely good enough for CTN.
zinzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
LuchhCTM

LuchhCTM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
1. Gonna say the same thing to you that I tell everyone, don't go to MEPS with one or two choices of rates. Chances are, you're not going to get offered either depending on scores or availability. If you do, you're one of the lucky ones.

Jeeze, I went to MEPS saying i either wanted to be a CTM or NUC. I didnt qualify for NUC by just a few points, but was offered my CTM job. Man I must be lucky haha.
LuchhCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Zachml7

Zachml7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
1. Gonna say the same thing to you that I tell everyone, don't go to MEPS with one or two choices of rates. Chances are, you're not going to get offered either depending on scores or availability. If you do, you're one of the lucky ones.
Or you can just hold out for what you want, especially if you have high ASVAB and its just availability issue. There weren't openings in what I wanted when I went to MEPS so I signed contract under different rating and made sure recruiter knew I wouldn't ship if he didn't stay on top of getting my DAR through.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #8
cire

cire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeau View Post
The two rates that interest me are CTN and IT. I want to work with computers.
What is the advancement like within A/C school and after? i.e what will you graduate A school as?
What are common duty stations for CTNs and ITs.
What kind of jobs can you get after the navy with these rates?
Thank you.
I was an IT2 when I got out.. I loved it. I was stationed in Hawaii (shore) and San Diego (shore and ship).

IT's are also on the radio and messaging side too among others. When I was in Hawaii I was in several stations, doing things like testing and troubleshooting circuits from 1.2kb to OC48 trunks, setting up and destroying crypto, installing circuits, writing diagrams and manuals, setting up comms for ground forces for all of the various branches, setting up telephone lines for ships, etc. The people in the messaging center would route and transmit messages for all of the stations and ships, the ITs in the NOC would manage all of networks.. on the ship we had ITs in radio and in networking, in radio we basically did everything related to the satellite and comms, crypto, messaging, etc and the guys in networking did all of the computers, accounts, networking, etc. Basically every command and every division will have their own IT needs and by the time you end your first enlistment you could be an expert in SOO many things that cover the IT field, and still not have even touched half of it.

Plus advancement is usually always very good, you can get stationed anywhere in the world, and most importantly.. you can take your skills to the civilian side once you get out. A lot of guys in Hawaii would retire and get a job on the civilian side doing the exact same thing they were doing in the Navy, but making 3x as much.. they would literally retire, then show up a few days later working in the same space doing the exact same thing.

Quote:
mack_it_nasty: my boyfriend wouldnt like that gee.
geeMA: the hell? you told me you were single. lol
mack_it_nasty: oh did i...
geeMA: i got trolled
cire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
ritzcracker37

ritzcracker37 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuchhCTM View Post
Jeeze, I went to MEPS saying i either wanted to be a CTM or NUC. I didnt qualify for NUC by just a few points, but was offered my CTM job. Man I must be lucky haha.
Yeah, you definitely got lucky (as did I). I knew going in that I would only join as CTN. After many times at MEPS and being sent home for one waiver or another I finally got that call that it was all clear and was waiting on availability. Two days later it was open.

Of course, it's not easy going in with one thing in mind but it is possible!
ritzcracker37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ctn, intelligence, navy