NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
MickeyMcD

MickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to behold
Default Shore Duties

Besides recruiting, RDC/OCS instructor, and ceremonial guard, what other shore duties are available to Nukes?
Graduated RTC: 20150529 194/13
MickeyMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
erik1o2

erik1o2 is on a distinguished road

Well there is always Power school or Prototype instructor positions for shore duty Nukes.
erik1o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
drego86

drego86 is on a distinguished road

Power/A school instructor, Prototype instructor, Power/A school SLPO, and depending on the job you end up getting, working in a shipyard fixing things. There are other opportunities, but those are the main ones.
drego86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by drego86 View Post
Power/A school instructor, Prototype instructor, Power/A school SLPO, and depending on the job you end up getting, working in a shipyard fixing things. There are other opportunities, but those are the main ones.
Inspector is another big one.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
MickeyMcD

MickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to behold

Wow. I didn't realize there was all of that to choose from! Which one would you most recommend for first shore tour, especially from a career standpoint for advancement, billets and potential commissioning down the road?
Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
drego86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMcD View Post
Wow. I didn't realize there was all of that to choose from! Which one would you most recommend for first shore tour, especially from a career standpoint for advancement, billets and potential commissioning down the road?
While I haven't reached that point in my career yet, I can tell what some chiefs and first classes have told us regarding shore duty.

Actually, rather then speculating I'll mention what I do know. The instructor positions at the prototypes are the only chances to get a qual that's required to be considered for chief. So if you don't get it at sea, the prototypes are the only place to get it while on shore duty.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
MickeyMcD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drego86 View Post
While I haven't reached that point in my career yet, I can tell what some chiefs and first classes have told us regarding shore duty.

Actually, rather then speculating I'll mention what I do know. The instructor positions at the prototypes are the only chances to get a qual that's required to be considered for chief. So if you don't get it at sea, the prototypes are the only place to get it while on shore duty.
I will definitely keep this in mind for when that time comes. How difficult is it to secure an instructor position or is it pretty much a gimme provided you stand out on sea duty?
Old 08-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
drego86

Take this with a grain of salt because I did. I was told that the instructor positions in A school and power school go to the top performers returning from the fleet.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Unless there have been some major changes since my son was in as a MM nuke, since your training is so long you really wont have any shore duty well into your second enlistment...unless you are picked up as an instructor while in Prototype and graduate at the top of your class.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
MickeyMcD

That's perfectly fine. I just wanted to know what all I could spend the shore periods occupying myself with before going back out to sea But since you've mentioned it, how many in each class does your son estimate got chosen to fill an instructor billet right out of schooling?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Mickey, I will have to ask him when I talk to him next time...he is very busy with his job right now...he isn't in the navy any more and lives in Texas working for a large power company..I will probably talk to him on Sunday.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #12
scott.henry

scott.henry is on a distinguished road

Realistically, most Nukes will go to one of the Prototypes for their first Shore Duty just due to the manning requirements at the Prototypes. I was an outlier because I navigated a 20 year career as a Navy Nuke without ever doing a Staff tour at Prototype. I sold my soul and did Recruiting for my first shore duty. I DO NOT recommend Recruiting Duty. My last shore tour was an Instructor tour at Power School. This is, hands down, the best Shore Duty for Nukes. If you want to go to back to Nuke School for Shore Duty, you must be ranked in the upper half of your class in both Power School and Prototype. There are no waivers for this requirement. It's pretty easy to get orders to Prototype as long as you keep your nose clean in the Fleet and perform satisfactorily (getting all of your quals done on time, etc.). RDC duty is available, but your detailer has to release you from their control to the special programs detailer and there is a screening process. The same holds true for Recruiting Duty. There are other shore billets available for nukes at maintenance facilities, but those are usually few and far between. Some of those can end up being good deals, some not so much. A few of my friends that have had Shore Duty at those facilities say that the Navy personnel that work there constantly get called out to work outside of "normal work hours" because the civilians aren't authorized for overtime. So the sailors essentially get used and abused.
What it boils down to, is that Nukes are pretty limited on their options for Shore Duty (and homeports for Sea Duty, especially if you're Surface Designated). Your chances of getting something outside of the Nuke training Pipeline are pretty slim unless it's Recruiting (I would rather get up every morning for the rest of my life and eat a bowl of broken glass for breakfast than go back to Recruiting Duty) or RDC Duty. While the possibility of getting something else is pretty slim, always ask the question, though. The worst thing they can do is tell you no.

Last edited by scott.henry; 06-12-2017 at 01:01 AM.
scott.henry is offline   Reply With Quote