NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
darkguard

darkguard is on a distinguished road
Default Pensacola & Cell service/data

Anyone currently or recently at Pensacola that can give suggestions for best phone/data coverage?

I'm leaving for basic in little over a month and am trying to plan ahead. I currently have sprint through my employer, reservist so keeping the employer benefits. From the coverage map, it looks like sprint gets bad data coverage around there, anyone with experience?

I was thinking about getting a Verizon hotspot to skype with the wife and kid. Anyone used Verizon around there or have better suggestion?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
warehimer33

warehimer33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkguard View Post
Anyone currently or recently at Pensacola that can give suggestions for best phone/data coverage?

I'm leaving for basic in little over a month and am trying to plan ahead. I currently have sprint through my employer, reservist so keeping the employer benefits. From the coverage map, it looks like sprint gets bad data coverage around there, anyone with experience?

I was thinking about getting a Verizon hotspot to skype with the wife and kid. Anyone used Verizon around there or have better suggestion?

Thanks!
DO NOT GET SPRINT. I don't know about other states but Florida is the WORST for Sprint. It absolutely sucks. Verizon is the best in Florida. It's amazing. I get service everywhere; and I mean everywhere.

"All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk." --Ronald Reagan
Old 07-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
navy AO

navy AO is on a distinguished road

im stationed here now.. verizon and tmobile are the best ones for down here. hotspot REALLY works best here. the gowifi that is here is good but it can be VERY slow alot of the times
Old 10-31-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
ritzcracker37

ritzcracker37 is on a distinguished road

I hope you guys are right, I just switched from sprint to verizon

not to mention the already horrible service that sprint has in Hawaii, I couldn't imagine what it would be like if that was to get any worse! I won't be in Pensacola until May or so but I figured that I should just switch it now.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
AyeeYoAP

AyeeYoAP is on a distinguished road

Sprint sucks at Corry, but I lived on the IT side so my service didn't suck as bad as the people who lived in the BEQs service did. though. Other than that, its bearable. It's not the worst. But you do kinda have to go outside to talk on the phone sometimes. And the mobile data sucks... REALLY bad.

Outside of the barracks my service worked just fine.

If the barracks have tin roofs that has alot to do with the sucky signal. I can't remember if they do though.

But, I would HIGHLY recommend Verizon...
Old 10-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeeYoAP View Post
Sprint sucks at Corry, but I lived on the IT side so my service didn't suck as bad as the people who lived in the BEQs service did. though. Other than that, its bearable. It's not the worst. But you do kinda have to go outside to talk on the phone sometimes. And the mobile data sucks... REALLY bad.

Outside of the barracks my service worked just fine.

If the barracks have tin roofs that has alot to do with the sucky signal. I can't remember if they do though.

But, I would HIGHLY recommend Verizon...
Cell service just doesn't seem to work on base anywhere. All the old brick buildings block the signal pretty effectively.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Old 11-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
AyeeYoAP

AyeeYoAP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Cell service just doesn't seem to work on base anywhere. All the old brick buildings block the signal pretty effectively.
I'm stationed at Lackland now and my service is horrible, but ONLY at medical and my barracks in particular -_-
Old 11-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
Mackin1231

Mackin1231 is on a distinguished road

aw man I was going to get rid of Verizon and the high ass packages they offer. But I am hearing too many negative things about Sprint. Well I may just keep it for two more years.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
D.Brothers

D.Brothers is on a distinguished road

Yea I can confirm the TERRIBLE service that Sprint provides. I am in Florida and have been my whole life and Sprint has always been horrible here. Also the company i currently work for uses sprint as our cell provoders and we can hardly do our jobs bc the signal is so intermittent. Verizon is deff the best here. ATT is not too bad either
Old 11-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
ritzcracker37

ritzcracker37 is on a distinguished road

Well, thanks for reinforcing my decision haha. I guess I will just have to wait until I get there to see the results. I have to say that it's already been a huge improvement at home!
Old 11-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
D.Brothers

D.Brothers is on a distinguished road

Yeah you made a good decision. Believe me you won't regret it
Old 11-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Sorry I love Sprint and never had any problems. Especially floating outside in Hawaii I picked up service, we were close to one island, the one that they use in jurassic park and I picked up service there. Also in San Diego I always pick up service 5 miles off the coast.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #13
ALJW2015

ALJW2015 is on a distinguished road

Is AT&T good at Corry?
Old 03-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #14
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Please do not bump old threads.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Closed Thread