NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Professional Apprenticeship Career Track Program (PACT) > PACT Seaman (SN)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

View Poll Results: Is undesignated as miserable as they say
the hard work is worth it! 3 50.00%
Youll chip, paint, clean and paint! 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #1
gcn311

gcn311 is on a distinguished road
Default Being Undes SN. Worst or smart decision yet?

Depped in on 10/21 and shipping out 06/03/2015. I was warned with the Going PACT but it was the only option they could give me. Ive seen positively inspiring stories and ALOT of "worst decision you could make."

Does anyone have any Stories of Undesignated life? Thanks
gcn311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

A lot of it is your attitude. If you go into it thinking you'll be miserable all the time, you will be. But if you go in understanding that you'll be doing some thankless work for a time, but keeping an open mind about what you will see and experience, you can turn it into a positive experience. There are some definite advantages and disadvantages to both paths.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
JSlattery

JSlattery will become famous soon enough

I'd second what Guppy said. It resonates a lot in life in general.

I've got a friend in now that started APACT and hated it. He wanted out so bad. Once he rerated after his designated time, he actually likes his job better now. Still not in the best ways. I've tried to tell him to look at the positive things he's seen no one else has in our group of friends but he's jaded and refuses too.

DEP: 20140827
Ship: 20150324
JSlattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

I had guys start in PACT that went on to become successful CTN's, RP's, BM's, IT's, FC's, you name it.

There will be plenty of guys in that division who just want to come in, punch the clock, and go home. And they will complain about it everyday.

Then there's the guys who HAVE A PLAN and get where they want to go. Again, it's all based on YOUR attitude and YOUR plans. My biggest advice would be in your off time, GET QUALIFIED in something other than your day job. If you want to be an IT, go see if they can start teaching you IT stuff. If you want to be an AT, go get qualified to do some basic AT stuff. If the Navy and your Command see you being motivated and chasing what you want, they're going to support you. The key thing here is that nobody is going to do if for you though; YOU have to go chase it.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Agrias is on a distinguished road

There's also commands that don't give their undes any time to go OJT other rates besides BM. More often than not it's not a great idea to go undes.
Agrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrias View Post
There's also commands that don't give their undes any time to go OJT other rates besides BM. More often than not it's not a great idea to go undes.
You have to do it on your own time. Deck still has a job to do and depending on manning they may just not have the resources to let you go during working hours. All our guys that advanced quickly out of OD took their own time to advance their careers.

Again, its exactly what you make it. Your shop isn't always going to take time out of their own schedule to make sure you have time to go work in other shops. Go chase that training down after working hours, underway, or on duty days.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:53 AM   #7
gcn311

gcn311 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone.

Got some opinion from my grandpa who was Dental for 20years and a few people. It's all about working hard for it, but then again my future BM might not let me see shops. I signed that DEP contract and should commit to it.

asked my recruiter about me thinking otherwise and if a job opens, he said I can submit a DAR.
gcn311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
Squid350
**Active Duty**

Squid350 is on a distinguished road

While I would always recommend getting a guaranteed "A" school if possible, I know plenty of successful MAs who started out as undes.

They also left their respective first commands with some pins, which is more than your average MA3 will have. Undes can definitely work out well.
Squid350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, pact (sn), seaman, undes