NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-09-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
McHolySOul

McHolySOul is on a distinguished road
Default Muscle LOSS at Boot...?

So I ship out in late February, I am a weightlifter and in great shape 5'11 180 pounds around 10% BF. I know that there will be no weightlifting at boot camp, and many people have been telling me that I will lose muscle at boot camp, While my recruiter says I'll be able to keep it if I eat eat eat...
I am confident that I can keep my muscle gains and build even build on them if there is time at boot camp to do self workouts, or is this out of the question? I can do basic prison workouts to maintain myself. If not i'm probably screwed.

thanks for your input!

Last edited by McHolySOul; 12-09-2012 at 05:19 AM.
McHolySOul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
anlowe7

anlowe7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHolySOul View Post
So I ship out in late February, I am a weightlifter and in great shape 5'11 180 pounds around 10% BF. I know that there will be no weightlifting at boot camp, and many people have been telling me that I will lose muscle at boot camp, While my recruiter says I'll be able to keep it if I eat eat eat...
I am confident that I can keep my muscle gains and build even build on them if there is time at boot camp to do self workouts, or is this out of the question? I can do basic prison workouts to maintain myself. If not i'm probably screwed.

thanks for your input!
I think maybe only on Sundays would you be able to do that...but not 100% sure though
anlowe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Just be aware that you most likely will loose alot of your muscle mass while at boot...my son did. Eating wont help you to keep it, but turn it to plain fat. Watch your diet and you may want to start now cutting back on the mass and start over once you get out of boot and on to your A school.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Bingle

Bingle is on a distinguished road

You can work out after taps, you just have to be careful. By RTC rules you are not allowed to work out unless it's with your RDC's. They don't want you hurting yourself.....I worked out almost every night. There are poles in the laundry room that held out biggest guy (over 200lbs) without a problem.
Bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
culp7

culp7 is on a distinguished road

Yeah bro, weight lifting is my life. I feel the exact same way you do about losing mass at boot. But as far as my plan, at boot I'm going to work on cardio like crazy. I'm looking at it as almost a cutting season. I have all my protein, and other supps set aside ready to be shipped to me as soon as I enter a-school. When you look at training as a whole, it wont really take that long to make up for the lost gains over 2 months.
culp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Quote:

thanks for your input!
Are you trying out for SEALs? I ask because of the way your name is posted.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

You most likely will lose muscle mass. While in P-days, you are not cleared Fit for Full Duty, so you are not allowed to exercise. I was in P-days for 2 weeks because I was on P-Hold for a week. It killed my stamina on just about everything. And don't forget at night there are roving RDC's and if they catch up or hear you from a next door compartment, stand by to stand by. You will have some nice personal IT sessions, hours long. And your RDC's get in trouble for that as well. Then you will get beat again that morning.

Words of advice: EVERYTHING the roving RDC's do/see in your compartment at night gets emailed to your RDC's. I have accidently seen those emails.
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
McHolySOul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
Are you trying out for SEALs? I ask because of the way your name is posted.
While I have considered SWCC, I would like to do VBSS depending on if the ship I get put on has the program. As for Seal... No. I just enjoy being in shape, but who knows maybe someday?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
McHolySOul

Quote:
Originally Posted by culp7 View Post
Yeah bro, weight lifting is my life. I feel the exact same way you do about losing mass at boot. But as far as my plan, at boot I'm going to work on cardio like crazy. I'm looking at it as almost a cutting season. I have all my protein, and other supps set aside ready to be shipped to me as soon as I enter a-school. When you look at training as a whole, it wont really take that long to make up for the lost gains over 2 months.
Yeah right now i'm in a winter bulk, I can do cardio, but keep it to a minimum. As you are, I am also looking at boot camp as an early summer cut, but I just don't wanna lose too much of my gains, since I bulk clean, and gain slowly. I'm getting my supp's shipped ASAP after boot that's for sure! cause I hate GNC!!! hah
Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
johnplisac32
**Active Duty**

johnplisac32 is on a distinguished road

i know alot people hate gnc but i have personally saved soo much money with when they have buy on supplement get the other half off and they are best i have used
Old 04-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
TYWong

TYWong is on a distinguished road

@McHolySOul: I've contacted a few supplement companies that ship to military bases and if GNC is too pricey, you can order from TigerFitness! They've got some pretty decent products at a lower price. I have heard BB.com charges an a**load of money to ship to military.
But yeah, you will lose gains. RTC=cutting phase for a lot of future sailors that I know lift.
TYWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
Temen
**Active Duty**

Temen will become famous soon enough

As stated, after Taps (lights out) a lot of recruits use that time to exercise. My division held push up, sit up, and sprint sessions for those recruits that weren't doing well on their PFAs. Also, I've seen plenty of recruits use the bars in the laundry room.
Granted, as previously said there are roving RDCs and you aren't supposed to be out of your rack. So, the risk is up to you. If you get caught, your whole division is likely to be ITed for a few hours. Not the best impression to leave on your fellow shipmates.
Also, Sunday mornings (I believe until 1300-1400) you have some "free time" in which you can write letters home, study, socialize, clean, etc. Just don't sleep. I'm not sure how impressed your RDCs will be if they see you exercising. I know they aren't allowed to IT you at all during your Sunday liberty, but I'm not sure about the rules for self PT. Again, to state that during P-Days you can't be PTed because you aren't "Fit for Full Duty", so I can understand the rule about no PTing without RDC supervision.
My best advice would be to make the PT sessions as difficult for yourself as possible. I know it won't be much, but just go as low as possible for push ups and hold it for a bit. Same as squats. When you do sit ups, always make your chest touch your legs (except for the PFAs).
I HIGHLY suggest you try being on the division staff. RPOC and AROC get beat for just about every mistake anyone in the division makes. As a Yeoman, I was beat every time someone failed to properly fill out the form that stated when recruits left the compartment (forgot what it is called), which happens all the time. Also, I was beat everytime someone entered the RDCs office incorrectly.
Temen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temen View Post
As a Yeoman, I was beat every time someone failed to properly fill out the form that stated when recruits left the compartment (forgot what it is called), which happens all the time. Also, I was beat everytime someone entered the RDCs office incorrectly.
Ah yes, good old barracks check out sheets.... If I had a nickel for every time a correction had to be made on one of those when I was in boot.....
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #14
laurenjeannette

laurenjeannette is on a distinguished road

Quote:

thanks for your input!
Time for the cutting cycle!!!
laurenjeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
johnplisac32
**Active Duty**

johnplisac32 is on a distinguished road

yea it will be a cutting phase for me i am not used to that i was lift heavy so this will be something new
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #16
dthomas21

dthomas21 is on a distinguished road

I feel like you can get cut from all of these type of workouts we will be doing though
dthomas21 is offline   Reply With Quote