NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road
Red face Watches in Boot Camp

I got a watch as sort of a going away present for boot camp. I'm not sure if they will allow this however. It's a Casio G-Shock.

Would this watch be acceptable to take to Boot?
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laworlo View Post
I got a watch as sort of a going away present for boot camp. I'm not sure if they will allow this however. It's a Casio G-Shock.

You can't wear watches in boot camp. They'll tell you to take it off. Only watches allowed when I went, 3 years ago, were the ones they gave to the aroc and arpoc to use.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

You can bring your watch, but no, you cant wear it. You can however wear it if you are choosen to be an RPOC. My son took his and due to his (job) while there was allowed to wear it, but it needs to be rather plain., as least the band does.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

Just make dang sure you don't ask the RDC "Can I have a watch?"
What will happen is you will have the midnight to 4am rover watch. Which means you'll walk around watching people sleep. It totally sucks...

As the others said, unless you're in the top leadership position (which you don't want), then you will never wear that watch.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Laworlo

Good to know. I might just be putting it in "The Box" to go back home. I would prefer not to have that shift!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
icemanclix

icemanclix is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Seems like they don't let you have anything but the navy clothes on your back, your canteen, and belt.

My dad was in the air force and he went to BC back in the 70s and he said that the TI's would come in for inspection and they would try to take their razors and any non military contraband. He said guys would hide all kinds of stuff LOL!
icemanclix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
phractus

phractus is on a distinguished road

That is a nice watch though!

I haven't shipped yet either but heard depending on who you get you can wear one. Then again you can get the night duty as well!
phractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Yes, it seems the navy is the toughest on items from home...good grief, even the army lets them keep their cell phone! I was shocked when my son called me from his own cell each week! Now when my other son went to navy boot, EVERYTHING came home in the "box"! The army doesnt even send ANYTHING home, their civie clothes stay there at their boot in lockers.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
Laworlo

I think I like the idea of everything comes back home. To me, it's a point where you become completely immersed in Navy. Everything you own there with you is Navy. Nothing is left from civilian life. I really like that. It seems like it will be a "whole new me".
Old 03-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

Good old G Shocks.....

I recommend bringing a watch because it is actually up to your RDC's who can and can't wear a watch. Some RDC's only allow leadership to have them (actually, leadership is required to have them). Other RDC's (like mine) allow anyone to wear a watch. I wore my watch all through boot camp, and I was so glad I did, if I hadn't getting to watches and whatnot on time becomes much harder.

The only time you can't wear a watch if the RDCs authorized them for you is during inspections. Otherwise you're fine. As an aside, the RDCs will tell you all early on if you can or can't, you don't need to ask them, they'll let you know.

Worst case, if you aren't allowed to wear it, you're still allowed to keep them in your A&B Drawer normally and when you leave RTC and head to A School you're gonna want that watch!
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #11
Laworlo

Good to know! Thanks Prop!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop827 View Post
Good old G Shocks.....

I recommend bringing a watch because it is actually up to your RDC's who can and can't wear a watch. Some RDC's only allow leadership to have them (actually, leadership is required to have them). Other RDC's (like mine) allow anyone to wear a watch. I wore my watch all through boot camp, and I was so glad I did, if I hadn't getting to watches and whatnot on time becomes much harder.

The only time you can't wear a watch if the RDCs authorized them for you is during inspections. Otherwise you're fine. As an aside, the RDCs will tell you all early on if you can or can't, you don't need to ask them, they'll let you know.

Worst case, if you aren't allowed to wear it, you're still allowed to keep them in your A&B Drawer normally and when you leave RTC and head to A School you're gonna want that watch!
Awesome writeup, prop827, thanks for the info! My parents just gave me a Citizen Skyhawk as an early going-away gift, so I searched and found this thread... good to know I might get to wear it depending on my RDC!

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
Laworlo

Funny I totally forgot I put this up. As an update. It is up to your RDC's if you can wear one or not. Most of the PO's got to wear watches, except for me as Head PO. But we were not allowed to wear our own watches either. We all went to the next and got cheap 10 dollar watches.

That a great watch Haasino. I would be cautious to bring that expensive of a watch. Yes, it will be in your A&B Drawer, and I'm not saying don't bring it. I am just saying guard it with your life. Try not to let your shipmates know you have it. All it takes is you accidentally leaving your drawer unlocked and bam, it's taken. You will get it back, because you will tell your RDC, and they will beat the living SHIT out of everyone (IT) for it. So, just be cautious. I was sure glad I had it, nice reminder of home.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That a great watch Haasino. I would be cautious to bring that expensive of a watch. Yes, it will be in your A&B Drawer, and I'm not saying don't bring it. I am just saying guard it with your life. Try not to let your shipmates know you have it. All it takes is you accidentally leaving your drawer unlocked and bam, it's taken. You will get it back, because you will tell your RDC, and they will beat the living SHIT out of everyone (IT) for it. So, just be cautious. I was sure glad I had it, nice reminder of home.
Thanks, man! That's exactly why I'm hoping to take it, even if I can't wear it... every time I open my A&B Drawer I'll see it and be reminded of my family. And thanks for the warning... I'm already unfortunately aware that you can't always trust your fellow service members in the military... be it RTC, A School, or in the fleet, I'll always be cautious of leaving valuables unsecured.

On the topic of valuables... do they make us ship our wallets home in the box, or do those go in our A&B as well?

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
Laworlo

Wallets will stay with you in your A&B drawer. I used it a couple times throughout boot camp, and graduation day you get to take it to drill hall.