NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation
Default Ceremonial Guard ~ Should I take it? NO!!!

In boot camp you may be asked to volunteer for the Ceremonial Guard. Should you take it? NO!!!!

Sometimes new sailors don't look at the big picture, they only look at the "here and now". If you want pride, then the Ceremonial Guard is the place to be.
Here is the official instruction for the Ceremonial Guard:
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...s/1306-907.pdf

However, if you want earning rate (rank), and advancing and being promoted $$$, to do you college education, then the Ceremonial Guard isn't the place to be. To me, it absolutely sucks. The sailors are in limbo for 2 years and while all of your shipmates in boot camp are going to "A" and "C" school, getting E4 & E5 after two years. However, you will be stuck at E3 because you don't have a rating (HM, IT, CTM, MM). You cannot promote someone without a rating. The others sailors (the ones you went to boot camp with) are already deep into their careers, and you will just be beginning yours. You will be more like the "Toddlers and Tiaras" tv show, by this I mean, yea you will look good but where is it taking you?

Remember too, the rating you original went in for is gone. The chances of you getting that rating after your 2 years of Ceremonial Guard is up will be very rare. If you get into a crappy rating that is overmanned and doesn't advance after your time is up for Ceremonial Guard, then he will be given the boot after 6 years due to High Year Tenure.
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...s/1160-120.pdf

This CTR made Chief (E7) in 5 years 5 months. Would the same guy that was in the Ceremonial Guard make it in the same time? I know alot of Chiefs are ticked off because they don't think this guy "Served his time". But guess what, the Navy says he did, and I must beleive in the Navy. http://www.soundpublishing.com/index...family_affair/

So, don't get me wrong, I think it an honor to be in the Ceremonial Guard. The sailors look awesome! However, in todays Navy, it doesn't put the same food on the table as someone that's rated and has advanced. By food, I mean Steak and Potatoes, and not a bottle of Cheez Whiz.

Just my thoughts...

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

As far as the Honor Guard for the Navy, it is a 3 year commitment! My Army son knows most all of the Navy ones stuck there at Arlington, they are mostly E1 and E2's and almost all are SEAL drop outs. They cannot promote beyond E3 while there, which really sucks. Once those that are there that are due to being dropped from SEALS, they then can TRY and strike for a new rate, most dont get to and are processed out of the navy. Those that have a rate and have been picked to do this from boot, can go on to their prospective A and C schools and finally get to fleet...IF they arr in a rate where they still have time on their contract and OR are able to re-enlist if needed.
One thing to know about living in that area, drugs is a BIG BIG problem for military personnel there, there are an average of 3 processed out each week due to this, sad really, and it is NOT fun for the military person or his/her family if this happens. My son just had to help remove a spouse and all their belongings from a private home, the kids were taken away by CPS, the military person was confined to base with NO PAY OR BAH, the wife was dropped off at a bus station with no money...(she was caught trying to bring drugs on the base there at Arlington). Being there are numerous colleges there, drugs and drinking are rampant and a big problem for all branches of the service. My son is so very glad to be gone from there and on his way to S. Korea instead! Even though it is UN-accompanied! His wife is moving back to Iowa while he is gone.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

Its the same deal if you get offered to go to the USS Constitution from boot camp too. Its an honor to serve in either the Constitution or as Ceremonial Guard, but all of the above is true. The pay sucks, there's no advancement, and no guarantee you'll be able to go back to the rate you came into the Navy with at all. Assuming they let you re-enlist or stay in. I know several guys from Boot who went to Old Ironsides, and one who went to the ceremonial guard. Think about that decision long and hard.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
sweetmtn

It is sad really, the navy is the ONLY branch that does not allow their Ceremonial Guards to promote, in fact, in the army, you are on a fast track to promote from there! My army son made Sgt(E5) in 2 years being there, then they get to choose where they would like to go when they want to leave...goofball wanted S. Korea! But that is a one year tour, then he goes to Colorado.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
thebrassranger

thebrassranger is on a distinguished road

As a 5'9'' female I don't think I've ever been told I'm too short for anything in my life, ha. Good to know going into RTC.
thebrassranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
sweetmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrassranger View Post
As a 5'9'' female I don't think I've ever been told I'm too short for anything in my life, ha. Good to know going into RTC.
As a female only 5'9" you really are too small for funeral detail(many caskets weigh about 600 to 800 pounds and only a 6 man team carries it), not sure if you can do rifle drill, not sure what else they offer for navy honor guard.
Now if you are talking a 900 division at boot, you would just have to really stand out and be exceptional on arrival and have in your paperwork what they are looking for.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
prop827

5'9? I know someone who's gonna be a stick at some point in boot camp.......
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
sweetmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop827 View Post
5'9? I know someone who's gonna be a stick at some point in boot camp.......
Hey, not everyone looses weight at boot! My son gained 10 pounds! Good thing he was like 30+ pounds under the max to start with!

Old 02-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
prop827

No, by stick I meant the people who carry the division flags, they were called "sticks" (cause of the practice sticks they use without flags on them). They are all chosen based on height and as I recall it was around that height....