NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
Saturnal

Saturnal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
Foreign Contacts are a BIG deal. It's not an outright disqualifier though, unless you try to hide it and it gets discovered (they will find it eventually, trust me). If you're planning on going into the Intel/Crypto world, continuing contact with someone in China is going to be an issue. Get everything well documented and let DONCAF make the call.

As far as CTN school, don't bother going to get those certs yourself. All those CompTIA certs are incredibly low level and not worth your time. If you want to learn the material, go for it, but if it were me I would recommend studying for the CCNA over any of the CompTIA certs.

/r
CTT1
Thank you very much for the information. I haven't heard anything in regards to my clearance situation, my recruiters said no news is good news and that I would most likely be alright.

Another question, what are the possibilities for travel as a CTN? I'm aware that most CTNs work at shoreside station, so I presume the travel isn't great. I've read about DIRSUP, how difficult would it be to get as a CTN and what would it entail?

EDIT: Another question. For foreign contacts, does it matter by country or should it be avoided entirely? Prior to enlisting I had a lot of penpals. Would a friend from Taiwan be acceptable as opposed to a friend from China?

Last edited by Saturnal; 12-13-2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Added another question.
Saturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:31 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

You haven't heard anything because they haven't even started your ts, and they won't until after you ship out.

Travel opportunities for Ns are very limited. They don't do DIRSUP.

China is a bigger deal than Taiwan, but any foreign contacts you maintain will at the very least delay your clearance because they have to be investigated, if not outright disqualify you. Everyone I knew who had foreign contacts spent months, sometimes years waiting on their clearances while the rest of us were working.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:01 PM   #3
Saturnal

Saturnal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
You haven't heard anything because they haven't even started your ts, and they won't until after you ship out.

Travel opportunities for Ns are very limited. They don't do DIRSUP.

China is a bigger deal than Taiwan, but any foreign contacts you maintain will at the very least delay your clearance because they have to be investigated, if not outright disqualify you. Everyone I knew who had foreign contacts spent months, sometimes years waiting on their clearances while the rest of us were working.
Thank you very much for the information!
Saturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnal View Post
Thank you very much for the information. I haven't heard anything in regards to my clearance situation, my recruiters said no news is good news and that I would most likely be alright.

Another question, what are the possibilities for travel as a CTN? I'm aware that most CTNs work at shoreside station, so I presume the travel isn't great. I've read about DIRSUP, how difficult would it be to get as a CTN and what would it entail?

EDIT: Another question. For foreign contacts, does it matter by country or should it be avoided entirely? Prior to enlisting I had a lot of penpals. Would a friend from Taiwan be acceptable as opposed to a friend from China?
Really anyone that isn't from a Five Eyes country (US, UK, AUS, CAN, NZ) is going to be heavily scrutinized. Be upfront with all of your contacts and don't hide anything; failure to report something like that is grounds to lose your clearance for good.

CTNs don't travel really. DIRSUP is not something an N-brancher would be eligible for. In rare cases, there are a few N's that go aboard ships while they're in port to help do some network stuff, but they won't be getting underway with them. The overwhelming majority of N's are at shore sites.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-21-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
Bakerz1

Bakerz1 is on a distinguished road

Hey, thanks for posting all the great info. . My son is CTR in boot camp as I type this he is more than half done. We are trying to get an idea of when and how visit(s) to see him in A school work as far as liberty, goes etc.

Anything you can think of that would be helpful and or meaningful for a graduation/Christmas present for a new CTR . We are thinking he probably needs a g-shock watch or something similar and possible a laptop or tablet. . Something that will help him ?

Bakerz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerz1 View Post
Hey, thanks for posting all the great info. . My son is CTR in boot camp as I type this he is more than half done. We are trying to get an idea of when and how visit(s) to see him in A school work as far as liberty, goes etc.

Anything you can think of that would be helpful and or meaningful for a graduation/Christmas present for a new CTR . We are thinking he probably needs a g-shock watch or something similar and possible a laptop or tablet. . Something that will help him ?

Hey there and welcome to the site!

As far as liberty goes once he get's down to Corry Station:
When he arrives he'll get placed on Phase 1 liberty. He most likely won't be authorized to go off base, he'll have several musters throughout the day, and won't be authorized to wear civilian clothes.

After a few weeks he'll be granted Phase 2 in which he can have some off base time and can wear civis again. Phase 3 will be at the discretion of his leadership but shouldn't be more than a few weeks after that.

If you're planning a visit, wait until he get's to Phase 3 since he'll have the most freedom then. He'll be at Corry for several months either waiting for class or being in class, so you guys will have plenty of time.

**OPSEC NOTE** Remember that he'll be doing classified work, so please don't dig into what he's doing in class. Also, don't take photos of any of the school buildings while on base at Corry Station (that's a quick way to lose your camera in some cases.)

For a gift, personally I would probably say laptop or tablet since that's something he can take around and use. Although a watch is always great since I'm constantly harping on junior sailors to be on time haha I'm sure he'll appreciate anything.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

/r
CTT1
Old 12-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
Bakerz1

Bakerz1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks for the valuable advice! I assume by dig into what school is about you mean asking him questions. I get that after basic, we are not going to hear more than how food is, that class is going well etc. I have been trying to read up a bit so I understand what he is doing but I get and fully support that his rate and what he does must be protected and classified. Thanks again for the great info, I am certain more questions will come up. Oh as far as PIR, think the Navy Lodge is best or is he going to want to get off base?
Bakerz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #8
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerz1 View Post
Thanks for the valuable advice! I assume by dig into what school is about you mean asking him questions. I get that after basic, we are not going to hear more than how food is, that class is going well etc. I have been trying to read up a bit so I understand what he is doing but I get and fully support that his rate and what he does must be protected and classified. Thanks again for the great info, I am certain more questions will come up. Oh as far as PIR, think the Navy Lodge is best or is he going to want to get off base?
I'm sure you guys will be fine haha

And on base lodging is usually pretty decent but obviously it can fill up quickly. There are plenty of options as well all within 30m of the base.

Looking forward to welcoming you all into the Navy family!

/r
CTT1

Tags
cryptologic, ctm, ctn, ctr, ctt