NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Quartermaster B450

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
jratchets

jratchets is on a distinguished road
Default Qm hours in port / quality of life

I'm interested in going for QM. I want to know what the typical work hours are in port. Duty days, watch, work hours etc. What is the quality of life? I know on deployment hours are long for everyone.
Also I heard that the navy is considering doing away with the QM rating even on surface ships. Has anyone else heard this? And if so what happens to people already in that rating?
Thank you for your time.
jratchets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jratchets View Post
I'm interested in going for QM. I want to know what the typical work hours are in port. Duty days, watch, work hours etc. What is the quality of life? I know on deployment hours are long for everyone.
Also I heard that the navy is considering doing away with the QM rating even on surface ships. Has anyone else heard this? And if so what happens to people already in that rating?
Thank you for your time.
QM work in port is pretty cake. You'll have pretty standard working hours (will vary ship to ship) usually 0700-1600 though.

Duty days are the same for everyone for the most part, so being a QM won't change that much. 24hrs on the boat either doing your normal duties, standing a deck watch (rover, quarterdeck, etc), running drills with your duty section, or hanging out somewhere onboard after hours.

Rating mergers rumors happen all the time. Right now there are no official plans to do away with the QM rate that I've seen. Until there's actual paperwork, don't believe the hype. If they ever did do that then you would get rolled into a similar rate doing the same type of things anyway (OS probably being a good candidate).

/r
CTT1