NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AB - AVIATION BOATSWAINS MATE (ABE, ABF, ABH)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
SethRT

SethRT is on a distinguished road
Default Any ABH's out there?

So I just got back from MEPS last night and got the rating of ABH! I really wanted to work in the aircraft community because I thought I would have the chances to possibly take extra schooling and get certified to be an aircraft mechanic.

Ironically enough the rating I took was the one I researched the least so I didn't know a whole lot of what I was getting in to. I've been reading around trying to learn as much as possible so I can better prepare myself for the job but now I'm seeing they have almost 0% involvement with aircraft maintenance, and from what I've been seeing it seems like once you get there your stuck there (also might not be a bad thing, the job looks very interesting and fast paced but I was hoping for a little more on the maintenance side).

Now I know I shouldn't get ahead of myself and make plans for what I will do after the Navy but I was just wondering if any of you ABH,ABF,ABE guys out there could let me know if there are chances to get extra training and schooling or if it would be possible to reenlist into another rating in the aviation community later on (given the manning levels are low enough).

I appreciate any tips or help anyone on here can give me! Thanks for your time!
SethRT is offline   Reply With Quote