NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
coopdeville

coopdeville is on a distinguished road
Default AIRR contract questions

So I'm working on my AIRR contract and getting my PST scores up.

My question is, once I get it, am I able to choose between AWS and AWR?

What's it based on, because I've heard multiple things?

If your able to choose, when does this happen and how?

I really want to be an AWS and would love to know I can choose this.

Thanks!
coopdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

No, you don't get to choose... they may let you list your preference, but it's completely "needs of the Navy" when they decide. I really don't know that there is any logical reasoning for them assigning rates, since I saw guys who's ASVAB scores made it clear they weren't cut out for Anti-Submarine Warfare get assigned to Romeos, while guys with outstanding scores who were the ideal candidates for ASW got Sierras. You'll be assigned AWR or AWS at the end of Rescue Swimmer School... from there, you'll go across base and either go through 4 months of AWO/AWR A School, or 2 months of AWS A School.

Percentage-wise, I saw more Rescue Swimmers get AWR... but that was just my observation. They had 4 AWO/AWR classes running at the same time in A School, while there was only 1 AWS class.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
coopdeville

Thanks for the reply.

So, if i were picked up as AWR, is the AWO/AWR school mixed, because the AWR's are considered AWO's of the Helo?

So, it seems like the instructors might pick what rate you are based on your performance at RSS?

So what is the biggest difference between AWR's and AWS's?

From what I've gathered, AWR does more surveillance and mine work while the AWS does more cargo, warfare insertion/extraction, etc.

At the same time it seems as though they perform similar jobs.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdeville View Post
Thanks for the reply.

So, if i were picked up as AWR, is the AWO/AWR school mixed, because the AWR's are considered AWO's of the Helo?

Yes, AWR and AWO specialize in Anti-Submarine Warfare... back before the 2008 merger, we were the only dedicated Aircrew rate, AWV, AWF, and AWS billets were filled by other Aircrew-qualified aviation rates.

So, it seems like the instructors might pick what rate you are based on your performance at RSS?

It's more up to the detailer who tells them what jobs are needed, but the instructors may have a bit of input over who gets what based on what's available.

So what is the biggest difference between AWR's and AWS's?

AWR is Naval Aircrewman (Tactical Helicopter), while AWS is Naval Aircrewman (Helicopter)... Romeos do Anti-Submarine Warfare, counter-narcotics, Naval Special Warfare support, and Combat Search and Rescue... Sierras do Vertical Replenishment, Search and Rescue (There are only a few dedicated SAR squadrons), and NSW support.

From what I've gathered, AWR does more surveillance and mine work while the AWS does more cargo, warfare insertion/extraction, etc.

I don't know about surveillance, and mine work is done by the non-rescue swimmer crewmen in the MH-53 Sea Dragon squadrons... the primary difference is Anti-Submarine Warfare and "tactical" operations on the MH-60R vs. cargo, dustoff, and some troop deployment for the MH-60S... keep in mind though, the Navy doesn't have troops... the Marines have -53s and Ospreys to take them where they need to go, and SEALS have mostly relied on the Army's 160th SOAR to take them into combat after the mistakes learned in Iran in 1980.

At the same time it seems as though they perform similar jobs.

In the sense of being helo crewmen, yes... but their primary missions are completely different.
Replies in olive...

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
coopdeville

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to respond. Great info.