NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
SaltyBash

SaltyBash is on a distinguished road
Default Charleston, SC or Balston Spa, NY for prototype?

How is this decided? What are some of your experiences in either place, and what would you recommend if given the choice?
SaltyBash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
fsRizer

fsRizer is on a distinguished road

Is your recruiter Hogan in lumberton?
fsRizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
SaltyBash

SaltyBash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsRizer View Post
Is your recruiter Hogan in lumberton?
No, I actually started my enlistment process before I moved out here so I went through the Fayetteville recruitment office.
SaltyBash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

During power school you will have to select which one you WANT and it gets put on a preference sheet. If you have a specific verifiable reason for one or the other (such as family in New York nearby or you already have housing in Charleston off base as you are married) you will also submit a preference letter explaining these reasons. Preference is in no way a guarantee. It changes based on which prototypes are up and which are down at the time, which prototype has room for which rates at the time, etc.

The rumor is that the Navy wants to simplify the process and have all training take place in Charleston in the future, but that is a ways off (if it ever happens). There is a backup for getting people to prototype right now; 2 months or more for ET's and 4-8 Months for EM's and MM's. Traditionally MM's have the longest hold period, though EM's are catching up.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
fsRizer

fsRizer is on a distinguished road

Roger that, im on my phone so i cant send you a message back. And this site is amazing
fsRizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

Just want to update everyone that Prototype IS one of the commands effected by the recent sequestration cuts.

If you read DTG 022300Z Mar 13, under Remarks: Section 3 Part A:
"Begin negotiating contract modifications to de-obligate efforts for any investment programs for which the remaining unobligated balance will be insufficiant after the sequestration reductions is applied. Major programs affected include: Virginia-Class SSN Advance procurement, REACTOR POWER UNITS, and Joint High Speed Vessel (JHSV 10);"
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
holicisms

holicisms is on a distinguished road

I graduated power school in january, and I can tell you that currently you will 95% get your choice, unless for some odd reason everyone wants to go to one prototype over the other (which shouldn't happen.)

Generally you'll see people with families staying in Charleston, and singles moving to New York.

I can tell you are at least a year and a half away from this decision though, so you've got time to think about it
holicisms is offline   Reply With Quote