NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
warehimer33

warehimer33 is on a distinguished road
Default Security clearance

Does everybody have to have a security clearance interview before they ship out? I don't have anything on my record and I heard they will come to my house and talk to my friends and neighbors... Pretty much what I'm asking is how does one obtain a security clearance?

"All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk." --Ronald Reagan
warehimer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

I'm sure someone who knows this stuff better will be along soon, but I'm pretty sure that when other people have asked the question the answer has been "they'll only call you beforehand if they find some issue that hasn't been explained, otherwise they'll do the interview in bootcamp".
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
I'm sure someone who knows this stuff better will be along soon, but I'm pretty sure that when other people have asked the question the answer has been "they'll only call you beforehand if they find some issue that hasn't been explained, otherwise they'll do the interview in bootcamp".
CORRECT!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
warehimer33

warehimer33 is on a distinguished road

Okay, that means I should be getting it done in boot camp. Thanks, guys!

"All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk." --Ronald Reagan
warehimer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

You'll only have an interview with a background checker if something comes up or you get the lucky random draw of getting a higher level clearance (its random, like 1 in 500 or something get that one). Ordinarily you'll just go to boot and then to school.

The closest thing to a "security interview" is when you first arrive at boot camp (first 3 or 4 days) you and all nukes in your division will go to the Nuclear power office, do some paperwork and then sit down with a chief or senior chief (they are actual nukes, not some general admin billet) who goes over basically everything your recruiter does every week (tickets, LEO interactions, school history, etc) to make sure your paperwork and clearances is in line and done correctly. Its not security as much as it is making sure your paperwork isn't jacked up and to put in your dream sheet for rate.

You'll go back to this office in the middle of boot to find out your actual rate.

You'll go back a 3rd time near the end where you will be briefed on getting to A School from GL and on what life is like in A School, Power School, Prototype, and the fleet. Most people don't really think about what its like past boot camp cause that's so impending (DEP-ers that is) so this is pretty much for that. Of course, if you want to know about that stuff, this is a good place to ask now too!
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote