NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
warehimer33

warehimer33 is on a distinguished road
Default Dream Sheet?

My dad was a Nuke and he was telling me about a dream sheet that people fill out in A school I think he said. He told me I could at least request East or West coast. If I wanted to go to Europe I should choose East coast, correct? What are my chances of going to a European port as a Nuke??

"All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk." --Ronald Reagan
warehimer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Yep, East Coast ships go to Europe.
You can always request East Coast, and places like Virginia usually aren't too hard to get because it's such a huge base in a less desirable location than places like San Diego. But ultimately it comes down to needs of the Navy.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

I believe the START guide mentioned something about having to stay CONUS if you're E3 or below with dependents. Anyone know if that's a steadfast rule? I'm ok going where ever they send me, but I really don't want to go overseas for my first assignment...
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

In prototype you get a dream sheet where you can select home port or platform on preference. So if you want east coast and put in for homeports of Norfolk, and Groton, you may get them, but you won't have choice on if its a carrier or a sub. You can request platform instead (like boomer or fast attack subs). However, if you are a non-sub vol then platform is irrelevant because its only carriers available, so it comes down to home port. Be warned that if you are planning to go subs, you can still end up being sent to a carrier in prototype, but not the other way around. ANYONE can go to a carrier regardless of if you're a sub vol, but only sub vols can go to subs. You could also put in for specific commands, but you aren't likely to get those (so if you really wanted to Precom, you could put in for a PCU command, but don't count on it)

Also be warned, your dream sheet is your top 5. It in no way means you'll get anything on it, its needs of the navy, but they'll try to accommodate you if that's what you decide if it fits into their needs. That said, you can also trade orders with someone once you all have your orders, if they want your command and you want theirs, as long as you are the same rate with the same NEC (which in prototype means both are third class of same job rate and both with nuke NECs). This is a formal process, so I forget the steps but I know it can be done, I know someone who was a non-sub vol whos friend wished he hadn't sub vol'd and they traded orders so he got orders to a sub and his friend got the orders to the carrier, and he was glad he traded after.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
warehimer33

So when you say top 5 you mean I could request that my home port be in Italy? I really want to go to Germany and Italy seems like the closest I'll get to it.

"All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk." --Ronald Reagan
Old 09-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by warehimer33 View Post
So when you say top 5 you mean I could request that my home port be in Italy? I really want to go to Germany and Italy seems like the closest I'll get to it.
There is only one ship in Italy and it's a flagship. Since you are Nuke you will only have the options of Norfolk, San Diego, Washington(state) and Japan. Unless you go subs then you have a few more options. Germany is going to be hard to get to in the Navy.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
warehimer33

I'm probably going to request Norfolk as my top. And just hope I get it. Where would ships from the East side go?

Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

For nukes:

Surface: Norfolk, San Diego, Bremmerton, Washington, or Japan (Or possibly PCU for the new carrier)

Subs (Fast Attack): Groton, CT, Pearl Harbor, HI, Bremmerton, WA, San Diego, CA

Subs (SSBN's and SSGN's): Bremmerton, WA, Kings Bay, GA, Diego Garcia (Forward deployed, go to Kings Bay during Off Crew)

There may be others, but those are the big ones.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'm probably going to request Norfolk as my top. And just hope I get it. Where would ships from the East side go?
Norfolk ships go to Africa, the Mediterranean, and the Arabian Gulf/Sea. Also, Central/South America.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
warehimer33

What are the odds of getting Norfolk?

Old 09-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
LT Guppy

Quote:
What are the odds of getting Norfolk?
Pretty good.

It's such a huge concentration of sailors (there are 6 (I think) navy stations/bases in the area) that there are usually open billets. Especially since it's "less desirable" than places like San Diego.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
warehimer33

Okay, good.