NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
Odangdude

Odangdude is on a distinguished road
Default Chances of getting the job I want?

I understand the whole "needs of the navy" but I just wanted to know from some of your experiences. I really want to get MM and go for ELT, so i want to get an idea on my chances of getting MM.
Odangdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

The navy seems to need MM's alot, but you just never know...sorry I cant give you a better answer.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

The nukes coming in the pipeline now will be:
MM - 50%
EM - 30%
ET - 20%

In general which you get is based on ASVAB and what your preferences are (you submit a rate preference sheet in boot). You will be assigned a rate based on ASVAB, preference, and needs of the navy. Needs of the navy you can see above. Its like magic.

As for ELT though, they are mysterious mythical monkeys, never seen but always lurking in the shadows. Its very hard to become an ELT and very few nukes get to, hence the expression "mysterious mythical monkeys"
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
sweetmtn

As far as ELT..my son was offered it, he turned it down as he just didnt want anymore training time and wanted to get to fleet. Now is buddy he enlisted with was offered it as well, he took it..he is currently on a sub. It seems those that are extremely high in the class standings ae the ones that are offered it, another family here from my town, her two sons both went nuke and both got ELT.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
prop827

As a side note, for those not aware, only MM's can become ELTs. If you're an ET or an EM you CANNOT be an ELT.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
davyinthenavy

davyinthenavy is on a distinguished road

does anyone know what needs of the navy are in the aviation community?
davyinthenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
stevebw

stevebw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyinthenavy View Post
does anyone know what needs of the navy are in the aviation community?
They're at their desirable manning levels. So it will basically come down to (like most ratings) the number of open billets.
stevebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
warehimer33

warehimer33 is on a distinguished road

I heard that the Nuke pipeline is really constipated right now. lol If I were to take the NAPT, pass it, and then go back to MEPS this month, is there a good chance that I would get Nuke if that's what I'm really set on getting?

"All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk." --Ronald Reagan
warehimer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
sweetmtn

If you pass it and they offered it, you most likely would get it...just make sure that is REALLY what you want!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
warehimer33

If they were to tell me they weren't taking Nukes for some reason, would I be able to tell them I will wait or how does that work?

"All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk." --Ronald Reagan
Old 10-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
F/S-MARodriguez

F/S-MARodriguez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by warehimer33 View Post
If they were to tell me they weren't taking Nukes for some reason, would I be able to tell them I will wait or how does that work?
That's not going to happen lol. If you qualify for NUC you will definitely get it.
F/S-MARodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
sweetmtn

You should get a nuke contract..the reason they ALWAYS need nukes is that the wash out rate is VERY high during their school trainings!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
warehimer33

Gotcha. Thanks, guys.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
prop827

If you qualify nuke, you WILL get offered nuke, no question. The navy needs nukes really bad.

Also, you are correct, there is a very massive backup of nukes on hold right now in training (there's been some hold ups going on with the prototype sites both in NY and in SC; so a lot of people are on hold). That doesn't change the fact the navy NEEDS nukes bad right now though!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
warehimer33

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop827 View Post
If you qualify nuke, you WILL get offered nuke, no question. The navy needs nukes really bad.

Also, you are correct, there is a very massive backup of nukes on hold right now in training (there's been some hold ups going on with the prototype sites both in NY and in SC; so a lot of people are on hold). That doesn't change the fact the navy NEEDS nukes bad right now though!
True. I guess it's just things I see on the internet like military cuts and how they are cracking down on medical that make me worry that it will be super hard to get Nuke. Thanks for y'alls insight, though!

Old 10-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #16
prop827

Nuke is generally the exception to all that. Nukes are one of the few rates that are undermanned. There's a reason you get a 12k bonus for enlisting nuke and up to a 95k bonus for extending your enlistment by only 2 years plus automatic E4 and automatic E5 for a reenlistment, while the navy is showing other rates the door and pushing the whole perform to serve program!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
warehimer33

Yeah, that makes sense now. Hah. Never thought about it like that.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #18
NavyNuke2012

NavyNuke2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by warehimer33 View Post
I heard that the Nuke pipeline is really constipated right now. lol If I were to take the NAPT, pass it, and then go back to MEPS this month, is there a good chance that I would get Nuke if that's what I'm really set on getting?
It comes and goes here at our training base.
My friends and I all were on hold before A School for three weeks, now there is no hold period.

And inbetween power school and protoype when we go here the wait was pretty long and now it's getting really short.

If you're qualified to be a nuke and want to be a nuke, PUSH HARD AND LONG with your recruiter to get it :D
Old 10-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #19
prop827

The rumors going around for grad hold (between power school and prototype) is going to be 4-8 months because NY is going down for maintenance and SC is shutting down for various reasons. The newest rumor I heard is they're gonna start sending nukes TAD to other locations on grad hold. Keep in mind, this is just rumor, speculation, and scuttlebutt. No one really knows what is going on.