NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
blakem0127

blakem0127 is on a distinguished road
Default Vehicle question...

ok so after boot camp, and after A school....until when can i have my own vehicle as a nuke in training?

Is it possible in Charleston during prototype, or is Ballston Spa the only spot?

ty
blakem0127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
SMunson

SMunson is on a distinguished road

Good question, I'm curious about this as well. I think I remember someone telling me after A school, but I will get an answer to this tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
blakem0127

Thanks. I've heard only after phase 2, at prototype, and only if I chose Ballston Spa... That's from a couple Nukes i know that did prototype in NY. I know my jeep wants to see the beaches of SC, and i don't think i can last 2 years without driving myself or my baby.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
SMunson

When do you ship?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
blakem0127

may 10
Old 12-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

I know my son bought his truck while at nuke school, he did his prototype in Goose Creek. I can ask him tomorrow when he was allowed to get his vehicle, its too late tonight to call him. I am pretty sure it was during Power School, but not certain.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #7
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
I know my son bought his truck while at nuke school, he did his prototype in Goose Creek. I can ask him tomorrow when he was allowed to get his vehicle, its too late tonight to call him. I am pretty sure it was during Power School, but not certain.
Sue, I knew you would know this... I was actually waiting for your post.
You're the expert about the Nuke stuff....

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
sweetmtn

OK...I talked to my son, he said he bought his truck in A school but AFTER phase 3 was done...that is when you are allowed to FINALLY wear some civies and stay off base all weekend. One thing to remember, you cant go over 200 miles away from the base unless you have a "Leave Chit". Now if you are married, you will live in base housing and he cant figure how they could even tell or regulate those who may try and drive...but in most cases he says unless the rules have changed (it was several years ago) that you can drive once you get past phase 3 in A school to have a vehicle and drive....OH, and on a lighter not, he said the bums in South Carolina will do anything for cash! My son would go to one club/resturant and park in a dirt lot and pay the same bum $20 to watch his truck...one time he came back early and the bum was actually standing guard with a baseball bat, his truck was never messed with while that bum stood guard!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
SMunson

Is SC a high crime area? I never would have thought to enlist the security skills of a drifter! :D
Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
sweetmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMunson View Post
Is SC a high crime area? I never would have thought to enlist the security skills of a drifter! :D
According to my son....YES!

Old 12-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
blakem0127

The following table shows Charleston's crime rate in six crimes that Morgan Quitno uses for their calculation for "America's most dangerous cities" ranking, in comparison to the national average. The statistics provided are not for the actual number of crimes committed, but how many crimes committed per 100,000 people.[29]

Crime Charleston, South Carolina (2007) National Average
Murder 12.8 6.9
Rape 50.3 32.2
Robbery 244.1 195.4
Assault 515.6 340.1
Burglary 676.5 814.5
Automobile Theft 1253.8 391.3

Since 1999, the overall crime rate of Charleston has begun to decline. The total crime index rate for 1999 was 597.1 crimes committed per 100,000 people. the United States Average is 320.9 per 100,000. Charleston had a total crime index rate of 430.9 per 100,000 for the year of 2007.

According to the Congressional Quarterly Press '2008 City Crime Rankings: Crime in Metropolitan America, Charleston, South Carolina ranks as the 124th most dangerous city larger than 75,000 inhabitants.[30][31] However, the entire Charleston-North Charleston-Summerville Metropolitan Statistical Area had a much higher overall crime rate ranking at #21.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #12
FS_Wernsman

FS_Wernsman is on a distinguished road

Uh wow... Didn't realize that would be such a big concern. Thanks for the info..but for me to have a better understanding of just how "violent" the crime rate is..can someone compare it to a local city for me? Denver, CO
FS_Wernsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:50 AM   #13
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Charleston is definitely a high crime area.
But like any city it has it's good areas and it's bad areas. The thing that makes Charleston standout is that you so quickly go from nice to shady.
When my husbands ship took liberty there, all of North Charleston was off limits to the crew due to safety concerns.
It's been years since I've been to Denver though, so I couldn't give you a good comparison.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #14
Nuke Guy

Nuke Guy is on a distinguished road

Except for the area around the ballpark and Colfax, Denver tends to be fairly safe before 9 PM. However, I would not want to be anywhere near downtown after 9 unless I was in a group of at least 4-5 people. However, the suburb areas like Golden, Morrison, and Littleton tend to be fairly safe.

Sorry, can't compare that to Charleston for you
Nuke Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
cornfed32

cornfed32 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Guy View Post
Except for the area around the ballpark and Colfax, Denver tends to be fairly safe before 9 PM. However, I would not want to be anywhere near downtown after 9 unless I was in a group of at least 4-5 people. However, the suburb areas like Golden, Morrison, and Littleton tend to be fairly safe.

Sorry, can't compare that to Charleston for you
Haha yeah Colfax is really sketchy. I just got back from Denver a few weeks ago and got lost on Colfax at night.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #16
cttaef21

cttaef21 is on a distinguished road

Not nuke related, but in regards to cars while in "A" school, what about having a car at Corry Station? I'm sure Craig will know the most regarding this area
cttaef21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
NavyNuke2012

NavyNuke2012 is on a distinguished road

Cttaef21

You will be more likely to get a response if you post and ask again in the Message Board section closer to "Corry Station A School" than Nuke A School. Someone else may get back to faster than Craig there.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
cttaef21

cttaef21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNuke2012 View Post
Cttaef21

You will be more likely to get a response if you post and ask again in the Message Board section closer to "Corry Station A School" than Nuke A School. Someone else may get back to faster than Craig there.
Didn't even realize this was the Nuke section ,I just got here from seeing most recent posts
cttaef21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #19
NavyNuke2012

NavyNuke2012 is on a distinguished road

Happens to the best of us
Old 08-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #20
tyler durden

tyler durden is on a distinguished road

After week 4 in A school, when you phase up to Phase 2, you can have your vehicle to use.

Crime is not bad- charleston isn't bad. There's a couple shady areas, but they're easy to avoid and charleston is about 30 minutes away. We have great air force security forces manning the gate and security forces patroling outside nuke school (we're on joint base charleston), so nuke school is quite safe.

75 miles is the liberty radius without a special liberty chit for 350.
tyler durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #21
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

For Nukes, You can have a car in A School once you reach NMT Phase 2 (its about 6 weeks after you report in, you're Phase 1 through indoc which is about 2 weeks then you phase up 4 weeks after you class up for A School, so grand total is 6 weeks of Phase 1, then you can get a Car on phase 2). Of course, you need to phase up too, which means passing your check PFA on week 4 and your personnel inspection that week as well (Dress Uniform). ONce you reach that point, you can always have your car. You are REQUIRED to have a car when you go to Prototype (That's both for Ballston Spa, NY AND Charleston, SC). In Prototype, you are no longer allowed to live in the barracks, so you need to move out in town (you will get BAH and BAS) and you will need a car to get to work (prototype) so it is required. If you don't have your drivers license, the Power School SLPO's will work with you to help you get it and get you ready for Prototype.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #22
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

Also, downtown Charleston is a high crime area (for insurance purposes), but once you get to know your way around you learn where is ok and where isn't. Downtown is a bit of a drive, I normally stick around North Charleston personally.

Can't totally agree with the Air Force security guys being great though...... (I'm joking, they're OK guys, I just have to give them some crap since I got to know several of them personally in my time down here).
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote