NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
hornsbyb

hornsbyb is on a distinguished road
Default Security Clearance question

I ship off to boot camp in a week, and I'm starting to get paranoid. Should I be worried?

Edit: Got a call today from a Petty Officer asking me questions to make sure I'm still qualified for Nuke Program. No issues there.

Last edited by hornsbyb; 04-03-2014 at 01:25 PM.
hornsbyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
drego86

drego86 is on a distinguished road

Don't be paranoid. You're worrying about nothing.
drego86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
peterson0015

peterson0015 is on a distinguished road

what happened in Highschool happened in Highschool your starting a new life now clean slate forget about the rest
peterson0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

What type of clearance are you getting?
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
13Point1Heiress

13Point1Heiress is on a distinguished road

Don't be that person who stands up at the Moment of Truth because you got suspended in high school, it's no big deal

DEP: 04OCT13
SHIP: 29JUL14
13Point1Heiress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
Mrs_Breen

Mrs_Breen is on a distinguished road

As long as it isn't on an arrest record, you should be fine. My husband also got suspended due to a HS fight and it hasn't been an issue with his clearance so far.
Mrs_Breen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
hornsbyb

FutureND, I'm not sure really, whatever Nukes get.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm feeling good.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
AramilX

AramilX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsbyb View Post
FutureND, I'm not sure really, whatever Nukes get.
Secret, I think.

DEP date 10SEP13
Ship date 03JUN14
AramilX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AramilX View Post
Secret, I think.
Yeah, it's just a Secret Clearance... all that involves is a National Agency Check of federal, state, and local law enforcement databases for any police involvement, a civil records check for lawsuits, bankruptcy, liens, etc., a credit check to make sure you're not susceptible to bribery or blackmail, a Social Security Administration check to verify all jobs you've held a W-2 for, and a check of any foreign contacts you may have listed.

Generally, a Secret Clearance doesn't even require an in-person interview, and you'll have it granted before you leave for RTC if you're in DEP more than about 4 months.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
hornsbyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
Yeah, it's just a Secret Clearance... all that involves is a National Agency Check of federal, state, and local law enforcement databases for any police involvement, a civil records check for lawsuits, bankruptcy, liens, etc., a credit check to make sure you're not susceptible to bribery or blackmail, a Social Security Administration check to verify all jobs you've held a W-2 for, and a check of any foreign contacts you may have listed.

Generally, a Secret Clearance doesn't even require an in-person interview, and you'll have it granted before you leave for RTC if you're in DEP more than about 4 months.
Thank you so much for the information.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
OatmealRenegade

OatmealRenegade is on a distinguished road

Could someone elaborate on the likelihood of a secret security clearance being denied while at RTC? (Assuming all information was disclosed upon enlisting.)

I am an NF DEPer awaiting clearance; I've answered all pre-screening questions and would hate to have to change ratings at RTC.

Haasino: I haven't been cleared yet, although I've been in DEP for almost a year.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OatmealRenegade View Post
Could someone elaborate on the likelihood of a secret security clearance being denied while at RTC? (Assuming all information was disclosed upon enlisting.)

I am an NF DEPer awaiting clearance; I've answered all pre-screening questions and would hate to have to change ratings at RTC.

Haasino: I haven't been cleared yet, although I've been in DEP for almost a year.
Unless you've withheld law enforcement encounters, job terminations, or have foreign affluence or influence, a Secret Clearance is almost automatic. If you answered all the questions asked honestly, and the security manager didn't raise any issues, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

OPM doesn't always initiate a clearance investigation right away... are you sure you don't already have your clearance? You generally won't be able to tell until you have CAC access and log into your Electronic Training Jacket from a military computer.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #13
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

If you've been in dep that long you probably have your secret already. They're don't call you up and say your clearance was granted while you're in dep, and you don't have access to it yet because you haven't shipped yet.

If you have the kind of serious issues that would prevent you from receiving a secret, you should already know you have them.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #14
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

I have about $10,000 in credit and loan debt, I've paid every payment on time over 400 payments on time haha. My credit is fine, I'm just wondering if that amount will cause any issuer with debt "bribery" or whatever..
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #15
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Look, I have like twice the debt you do (granted, they're all student loans) and I have a TS. No issue.

As far as I understand, the only reason someone with good credit and a history of paying on time would get turned down because of their debt is if their monthly payment exceeds 40% of the monthly salary they would receive in the military.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote