NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
NavyChristian

NavyChristian is on a distinguished road
Default Is my recruiter 'bs'ing me?

I am new to this website and I have a few questions about the Navy Nuke program that I hope the seasoned members here can help me with. I went in and talked to my recruiter a couple days ago and he looked at my ASVAB and got some scores and plugged them into a formula after I asked about the Nuke Program. The sum of the formula came out to 230. He said that I need a 235 just to be eligible to take the NAPT. I was wondering if that is true or not. In theory if I had a 235 I would only need a 55, the minimum score to pass the NAPT, but if I have a 230, which would make sense to get a 60 on the NAPT. I understand it is more of challenge to aim for a 60 over a 55, but I am willing to take a shot at it if I am able too. Basically do I need a 235 just to take the NAPT or should I call MEPS and try to schedule a time to take the NAPT? I don't want a recruiter to tell me I am ineligible for a program that is my dream to be apart of, if I could really get into it with my current ASVAB score. Please help and any help will be greatly appreciated
NavyChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
13Point1Heiress

13Point1Heiress is on a distinguished road

MEPS most likely won't deal with you personally; your recruiter would have to schedule everything. And although recruiters do dish out a lot of BS, their objective is to get you into the NAVY. If you're determined to go NUKE I don't see any reason your recruiter would sabotage you and say you didn't qualify if you actually didn't come up a tad short on your scores. I'll let the seasoned members respond about the actual calculation of your scores because I don't know the formula; but as far as your recruiter giving you false information, I believe he's telling the truth.

DEP: 04OCT13
SHIP: 29JUL14
13Point1Heiress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

The total score on your ASVAB is not the actual score they are looking at..it is the line scores. It can be very confusing...but here is what it says is needed for nukes: VE+AR+MK+MC+NAPT >or=290 AND NAPT >or=50 or AR+MK+EI+GS+NAPT >or=290 AND NAPT >or=50 or AR+MK+EI+GS >or=252 or VE+AR+MK+MC >or=252

From my sons experience, most nukes that went in directly off the ASVAB scored in the mid 90's on the overall score. Basically you need to be really high in the line score for math and science to go with not having to test again taking the NAPT. Understand also if you do not qualify..dont take it too badly...that is a VERY hard path in the nuke field..and the drop rate is VERY high, and so is the suicide rate!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Diesirae27

Diesirae27 is on a distinguished road

I don't think they'll admit to it but I'm pretty sure they get something extra if not a Chief off their back for recruiting Nukes.
Diesirae27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
NavyChristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Point1Heiress View Post
MEPS most likely won't deal with you personally; your recruiter would have to schedule everything. And although recruiters do dish out a lot of BS, their objective is to get you into the NAVY. If you're determined to go NUKE I don't see any reason your recruiter would sabotage you and say you didn't qualify if you actually didn't come up a tad short on your scores. I'll let the seasoned members respond about the actual calculation of your scores because I don't know the formula; but as far as your recruiter giving you false information, I believe he's telling the truth.
I'm sorry I did not mean that my recruiter is trying to sabotage me. He is new to recruiting and I am not sure if he is very experienced with the job, especially with people who want to go Nuke, as he has never had any dealings with Nukes in his career. Maybe there is a rule that your score has to equal up to at least 235 in order to take the NAPT, but to me it does not make sense why I am not able too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
The total score on your ASVAB is not the actual score they are looking at..it is the line scores. It can be very confusing...but here is what it says is needed for nukes: VE+AR+MK+MC+NAPT >or=290 AND NAPT >or=50 or AR+MK+EI+GS+NAPT >or=290 AND NAPT >or=50 or AR+MK+EI+GS >or=252 or VE+AR+MK+MC >or=252

From my sons experience, most nukes that went in directly off the ASVAB scored in the mid 90's on the overall score. Basically you need to be really high in the line score for math and science to go with not having to test again taking the NAPT. Understand also if you do not qualify..dont take it too badly...that is a VERY hard path in the nuke field..and the drop rate is VERY high, and so is the suicide rate!
That is the formula that both my recruiter and I used and my scores add up to 230 without the NAPT. Now the minimum score on the NAPT is 55 and not 50, so 230+55=285. I understand that my score doesn't add up, but that is if you are considering I am going for the bare minimum to get in. Now 230+60=290 and that does meat standards. I do not understand why I am not allowed to sign up for the NAPT if my score is close enough that I can make a reasonable score and meat the minimum. Also because I want to go into the Nuke program I want to be the best I can, so i am aiming for the most points possible. With that mindset I am 100% confident in my ability to make at least a 60. Is there really a rule that says unless your scores add up to at least 235?
Old 12-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Diesirae27

Diesirae27 is on a distinguished road

You are looking at the formula as a single phase equation. It's two phases. In order to get to take the NAPT the sum of your line scores VE+AR+MK+MC>235 or AR+MK+EI+GS>235 first. Then and only then do you get to consider VE+AR+MK+MC+NAPT=290 or AR+MK+EI+GS+NAPT=290.

I know your disappointment. I scored a 97% on the ASVAB and was exempt from having to take the NAPT. I can't get a top secret clearance so Nuke is a bridge too far to build. Similarly, I couldn't get close to any military intel. ratings which was by second choice.

If you want enough, have the patience and self discipline, you could let your ASVAB score expire. I believe it takes 2 years. In those two years, take some college courses to include trig, calculus and physics/chemistry. Mechanic knowledge mostly taught in vocational tech school indirectly.

Have you looked into NROTC?
Diesirae27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
NavyChristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesirae27 View Post
You are looking at the formula as a single phase equation. It's two phases. In order to get to take the NAPT the sum of your line scores VE+AR+MK+MC>235 or AR+MK+EI+GS>235 first. Then and only then do you get to consider VE+AR+MK+MC+NAPT=290 or AR+MK+EI+GS+NAPT=290.

I know your disappointment. I scored a 97% on the ASVAB and was exempt from having to take the NAPT. I can't get a top secret clearance so Nuke is a bridge too far to build. Similarly, I couldn't get close to any military intel. ratings which was by second choice.

If you want enough, have the patience and self discipline, you could let your ASVAB score expire. I believe it takes 2 years. In those two years, take some college courses to include trig, calculus and physics/chemistry. Mechanic knowledge mostly taught in vocational tech school indirectly.

Have you looked into NROTC?
I bought an ASVAB study book because I did not study the first time for the ASVAB, so hopefully I can raise my score high enough score to meet the requirements. Do you have any tips on how to raise your ASVAB score and how to prepare for the NAPT? Thank you for shedding some light on this