NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
futurenuke

futurenuke is on a distinguished road
Default nukes in boot camp

So i am currently in dep waiting to ship out, september 4th, and i was reading some stuff on this site about boot camp and the process nukes go through.
And i saw a bunch of stuff about nukes getting more medical screenings. I just want to know why are they getting screened? Is there some physical requirement i haven't been made aware of?

Can someone help me out?
futurenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Nuke Guy

Nuke Guy is on a distinguished road

Yes, you receive extra medical screening during bootcamp. Sometime during week 1, and again in week 3, you will go over to the clinic to receive a special physical. They x-ray your chest and check you over to make sure they trust your health enough to let you stand watch on a Nuclear Reactor. If you are a sub-vol, you will receive a few extra tests to make sure you are cleared to be on a sub. I don't remember the specific things they look for.

You will also receive some extra shots on 5-2 day including Polio, Yellow Fever, and a special Hep-B shot in addition to your second dose of the peanut butter shot.
Nuke Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
scipafricanus

scipafricanus is on a distinguished road

do you have any idea what kind of tests they do for submarine volunteers. I'm just curious. Is it psychological to see how you would deal with living in confined spaces.
scipafricanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Nuke Guy

I am a sub vol, and I have yet to take any psych eval's as far as I know. I believe you take those sometime while you are in Prototype before you receive your first set of real orders. As far as I know, the only thing different about sub physicals for nukes is you can't have taken some types of medication (some strong antibiotics and pain killers) and you must be under the height limit (6"4 I believe). A full list of medical qualifications can be found in the Navy Medical Manual which can be found here.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Guy View Post
I am a sub vol, and I have yet to take any psych eval's as far as I know. I believe you take those sometime while you are in Prototype before you receive your first set of real orders. As far as I know, the only thing different about sub physicals for nukes is you can't have taken some types of medication (some strong antibiotics and pain killers) and you must be under the height limit (6"4 I believe). A full list of medical qualifications can be found in the Navy Medical Manual which can be found here.
Actually, there is no height limit. I had a guy that was 6'8" who was a MT, and he wanted subs. God knows why. He would have to always be bending down, except if he's on a Trident sub. He got it, and went to subs.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Jnewman16

Jnewman16 is on a distinguished road

My brothers leading ELT was 6 foot 8... I was amazed that he volunteered for subs
Jnewman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #7
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

There is no height limit on subs, and as for the psych eval, there really isn't one as far as I know for subs other than the normal ones you take when you get to NNPTC (which is really just a questionnaire, some evaluation!)

Part of it is to take care of the sub stuff (anyone going to a sub for sure goes to special physicals). They are also making sure that you are ready to go out to the fleet as a nuke and there's no problems in your history that make you liable to get sick on watch and muck up the reactor plant (thats what we generally call BAD).

Special physicals are no big deal really, just a little more poking and prodding, as usual. I know that all nukes, people going to subs (for sure), Air Traffic Controllers, SWCC, SEAL, EOD, and AIRR all have to get special physicals.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

There is ONE factor that subs look at, if you are prone to acne as on a sub, you MUST be able to wear air support masks. I know of a young man that was kept at bootcamp for MANY months after his PIR as he had to be treated for his, and it takes 6 months to go through all the medical procedures to clear it up and have clear blood tests after! It reallly sucked for Austin!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
futurenuke

futurenuke is on a distinguished road

ok thank you for the information
futurenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
Nuke Guy

More than anything, prepare to have your RDC's break everything down "Barney style" for you. The nukes in our division always had to sit in the front of classes, as we supposedly have no common sense and need babysitting. I'd say this is the biggest special circumstance nukes have to deal with at bootcamp. DO NOT VOLUNTEER THE FACT THAT YOU ARE A NUKE UNLESS SOMEONE ASKS YOU WHAT YOUR RATE IS!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:31 AM   #11
prop827

Nukes get a bad rap for overthinking things. They call it "Nuking" it in bootcamp, but once you leave RTC as a nuke, we never use that term. We tend to use "50/50/90" as an expression more (given a 50/50 question a nuke will pick the wrong answer 90% of the time) because sometimes we do overthink things and think ourselves out of the "right" answer. Boot camp is a very simple place, so nukes get picked on a bit for being too smart for our own good, but at the end of the day, they know we're the top 10% of the Navy ASVAB/smarts wise and without us a sub doesn't move and the carriers wouldn't get there so its all in good humor really. Don't take it personal. I love being a navy nuke. The main reason people don't like nukes in the navy (those that actually don't like us) it's because we make rate so fast as compared to them. Its a jealousy thing I guess. Most rates average 14-16 years to make chief; nukes average around 7-8 years to chief; most nukes are a first class before their first enlistment is even over.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop827 View Post
Nukes get a bad rap for overthinking things. They call it "Nuking" it in bootcamp, but once you leave RTC as a nuke, we never use that term. We tend to use "50/50/90" as an expression more (given a 50/50 question a nuke will pick the wrong answer 90% of the time) because sometimes we do overthink things and think ourselves out of the "right" answer. Boot camp is a very simple place, so nukes get picked on a bit for being too smart for our own good, but at the end of the day, they know we're the top 10% of the Navy ASVAB/smarts wise and without us a sub doesn't move and the carriers wouldn't get there so its all in good humor really. Don't take it personal. I love being a navy nuke. The main reason people don't like nukes in the navy (those that actually don't like us) it's because we make rate so fast as compared to them. Its a jealousy thing I guess. Most rates average 14-16 years to make chief; nukes average around 7-8 years to chief; most nukes are a first class before their first enlistment is even over.
God knows why Nukes get a bad rap. I just can't understand why?

btw: Did you see the video of the Nuke that accidently got placed in the SEALS boot camp training unit by mistake?

See if you can spot the Nuke....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhH3v4SIqBk

Old 04-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
Jnewman16

Jnewman16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My brother made his first class last november.. and this month is his 6 yr mark.. they advance pretty rapidly ..
Jnewman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Nuke Guy

after A school, you make third class. During power school, you are required to take the second class exam, which will potentially put you in power school as a second class. However, since we compete with the rest of the fleet on that, most do not make E-5 for prototype. However, if you sign the 2 year extension after qualifying at prototype, you get an automatic advancement to E-5 with about 2 years in the Navy. We also have our time-in-rate for first class dropped to 2 years if we do the extension, so you can make first class in 4 and chief in 7 if you don't get in trouble and get good evals.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Craig
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Guy View Post
We also have our time-in-rate for first class dropped to 2 years if we do the extension, so you can make first class in 4 and chief in 7 if you don't get in trouble and get good evals.
Read this story, this guy made Chief in 5 years....

http://www.soundpublishing.com/index...family_affair/

Old 04-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
BKinsman

BKinsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Read this story, this guy made Chief in 5 years....

http://www.soundpublishing.com/index...family_affair/
Love that article. Always fascinated to read and hear about CTRs in the Navy. He really worked hard for it too having both his SW and AW pins. The advancement for CTRs looks very very good up to E6.
BKinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #17
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

Wow that is amazing. I wonder how often that actually happens.
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
prop827

BTW, nukes aren't "required" to take second class exam, just most do because we're allowed to, and it doesn't hurt. Even if you don't advance off it, you get points from having a previous exam the next time you go up for the test. Only 1 or 2 usually advance before the fleet off the exam. If you get staff pickup at prototype and sign the 2 year extension you get automatic E5 and can start taking the test for E6 sooner plus get the big old bonus for extending. If you wait to extend til you're in the fleet and you happen to sign your extension while on deployment in a combat zone (ie the Gulf) you'll get that sweet old bonus TAX FREE
Old 04-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #19
sweetmtn

Just understand that if you make that high of rank(E5 or above) prior to getting to fleet, many of those you will work with once you do get to fleet wont really have much respect for you. They dont feel you have put the time in and done the hard work to get there....just saying for MANY MANY of my family and friends who are in fleet. I hear this alot at many family functions...hmmm lets see, my son was a nuke, my nephew had 20 years in was a linguist, my sisters husband(he ended up CIA), my sisters father in law was a ships doctor, and my uncle Commander Donald Gary,(deceased)...that is the navy side, the other half is army...you dont want to be at our house during the navy army football games!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #20
prop827

That is a somewhat true statement, when you get to the fleet, you aren't treated the same as the other E4, E5, E6's as a nuke at first, at least not until after you're qualified to stand watches and have your warfare qualifications. Once you have your Cutlasses or Dolphins and you are fully qualified to stand watch (ie, after about a year) you'll get respect, but not until then. The bottom line though, in my humble opinion, is that you're getting the E4 E5 E6 pay. Its the money that really matters at that point, the respect and quals will come, its the dollars and cents that matter.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #21
sweetmtn

Quote:
That is a somewhat true statement, when you get to the fleet, you aren't treated the same as the other E4, E5, E6's as a nuke at first, at least not until after you're qualified to stand watches and have your warfare qualifications. Once you have your Cutlasses or Dolphins and you are fully qualified to stand watch (ie, after about a year) you'll get respect, but not until then. The bottom line though, in my humble opinion, is that you're getting the E4 E5 E6 pay. Its the money that really matters at that point, the respect and quals will come, its the dollars and cents that matter.
I would disagree, as the money cant make up for having a real hard time. Stress can really be hard on nukes, and getting someone to sign off on your quals becomes another matter, generally nukes get their quals done in 18 months, longer in some cases as some quals cannot be done unless you are on deployment. So if you get to a ship that has just returned, you are screwed til it goes again in about 18 to 24 months later, longer if it has to go into docks for major maintenance.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #22
newnavydad

newnavydad is on a distinguished road

My son just reported to Great Lakes. We got to talk with him after he had met his RDC. First thing he did was ask who the Nukes were, what was your score? Then, I f@#$&ing hate you guys. You have no common sense and think your smarter than the rest of us! I f@%$ing hate you guys. He is in week 2 now and I hope things have cleared up a little. The RDC may have been putting on an act, I hope, but my son did not think so. I am hoping for the best.
newnavydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #23
sweetmtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnavydad View Post
My son just reported to Great Lakes. We got to talk with him after he had met his RDC. First thing he did was ask who the Nukes were, what was your score? Then, I f@#$&ing hate you guys. You have no common sense and think your smarter than the rest of us! I f@%$ing hate you guys. He is in week 2 now and I hope things have cleared up a little. The RDC may have been putting on an act, I hope, but my son did not think so. I am hoping for the best.
Sorry to say, but that sounds about normal. Basically, many nukes DO think they are better than many others. The RDC's just want to make sure they understand who is the boss around there. You should be getting a letter soon, but be aware, generally the first one is not a happy one, they do get better however, just keep reminding him he can get through this, send LOTS of positive letters!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #24
newnavydad

There are 3 nukes from my sons DEP station who shipped together on the 5th. I know my son, and from what he told me about his colleagues, they are all pretty grounded and know what is what. They do not think they are better than the others as a matter of fact, from what my son told me, the others in the division see him as a great resource for all the things they need at the start of boot camp ie Chain of Command, General Orders etc. Seemd to be on a good start with his mates. That may have changed but I hope not. I hope I told him correctly when I said, "if you need help ask for it, if you can give help, do it." I know the Navy can be a competitive place, did I steer him right?
Old 06-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #25
sweetmtn

The best advise for any new recruit while at boot is to get through it and not be known...best thing is at the end for one of the RDC's to come up and not really know you were in their division. For those that stand out, you must be dang near perfect, if not, you will pay dearly for it. And if you come across as knowing too much, you get the reputaion of being a know it all...also not a good thing at boot. Once you are in fleet, totally a different thing, be a stand out and make your career soar.
Have you seen any of the videos on youtube about boot? Not a pretty thing to watch.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #26
newnavydad

To late. Just got his first letter and he is Educational PO and Section leader. He also was the only one in the division to pass a knowledge challenge from the PO. Somebody has to shine. I am very proud of him but hope it will not earn him trouble.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #27
sweetmtn

When my son was at boot many years ago, the only thing he wanted to be a PO for was the religious RPOC..he didnt get it, but was glad later he didnt. He saw several guys become one, then get fired from it later. Apparently it is kind of hard to keep those positions, and if you get fired from it, you then become a stand out and noticed by the RDC's. Now once he got to fleet, and even before while in his A school and all though nuke schools, he was a stand out. Fortunately or not, he was a jock, so they always wanted him for PT instruction. When he graduated from nuke school, he was second in his class. In fleet his annual evals averaged mostly all 5's...not a too easy thing to do as a nuke on a carrier. He managed to get his quals done in under a year...for those going nuke...strive for that if you want to be noticed, it does help.