NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
17kberg

17kberg is on a distinguished road
Default Promotion after "A" school graudation

Hi, I have enlisted as an E-3 in the IT rate. My question is that at the conclusion of IT "A" school, would I be promoted to E-4 or is that something that would happen when I get to my first command? Thanks for the responses in advance.
17kberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Provided all of your ducks are in order (TIR etc) it'll most likely depend on the timing. The date you're due to get advanced is the 16th of the month, so if you graduate right around that time you may get it at A school.

If not, you'll have to wait until you check in to your first command and route the chit (this is what happened to me, we had to check out of A school by the 12th). You will still get back-pay up to that date if you get pinned later.

Edit to add - I'm not the Corry brand of CT, but it should be about the same process there.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17kberg View Post
Hi, I have enlisted as an E-3 in the IT rate. My question is that at the conclusion of IT "A" school, would I be promoted to E-4 or is that something that would happen when I get to my first command? Thanks for the responses in advance.
Do you have something in your contract that states that? If not, you will need to meet TIR requirements and take/pass the advancement exam like everyone else.

/r
CTT1
Old 01-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
17kberg

17kberg is on a distinguished road

Navy IT "A" school is almost 7 months long so I will have met my TIR requirements. Does the "A" school offer the petty officer exam and petty officer indoc course?
17kberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17kberg View Post
Navy IT "A" school is almost 7 months long so I will have met my TIR requirements. Does the "A" school offer the petty officer exam and petty officer indoc course?
You're not eligible to take the Petty Officer's exam until you've been rated, which doesn't happen until you fully complete A-school. Until that point, you're just a Seaman (SN, not ITSN). So until you graduate from A-school, you're not eligible to take the exam.

Upon completion of A-school, and assuming you meet all other requirements, you would then be allowed to take the exam during the next cycle. The exam happens twice a year and advancement rates for IT3 are very good right now, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just do your time, finish your A-school, and it shouldn't be much longer after that.

/r
CTT1
Old 01-07-2017, 01:58 AM   #6
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
You're not eligible to take the Petty Officer's exam until you've been rated, which doesn't happen until you fully complete A-school. Until that point, you're just a Seaman (SN, not ITSN). So until you graduate from A-school, you're not eligible to take the exam.

Upon completion of A-school, and assuming you meet all other requirements, you would then be allowed to take the exam during the next cycle. The exam happens twice a year and advancement rates for IT3 are very good right now, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just do your time, finish your A-school, and it shouldn't be much longer after that.

/r
CTT1
ITs fall under the ATF umbrella and follow MILPERSMAN 1510-030, which states that they are advanced upon graduation of A school to the paygrade of E-4 provided that they have the 6 months TIR at E3, and do not take an examination. For the purpose of advancement, TIR also does not strictly mean that you are rated, it means you are at that paygrade. If it meant rated you would not be able to cross-rate at your paygrade, you would have to start over from scratch. So hypothetically if you advanced to E3 the day you arrived at A school and where there 6 months, then at the end of A school you just received you rate, but you have 6 months TIR.

Anyways back to the question, to quote the article page 9, "Sailors are advanced to E-4 after serving 6 months TIR. Participation in the Navy-wide examination is not required. Advancement to E-4 will be on the 16th of the month after 6 months of service as an E-3. TIR will be established per reference (h)." Ref H is just the normal TIR adjustment for when it rolls back to based on the month advanced.

So to answer the question, if you enlisted as an E-3, and your school is 6 months long, then at the end of A-school you will be eligible to advance to E-4 without taking the examinations. However in my experience if it doesn't get processed at your A school because of departure dates, you need to immediately talk to your new command about it as soon as you arrive because your Admin is almost certainly not tracking on it. And then you come and ask about it 6 months later and we didn't know about it and it turns into a huge freaking mess.
YN2(AW)Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

YN3,

Not all IT's are ATF contracts. So if it's not written into his contract then he would not fall into that category.

The ATF folks get extra training to fill critical NECs, which usually require longer training past the general A-school, which is why those sailors are "Push Buttons". If they weren't it would make them less competitive with their year group peers, as the non ATF sailors would be advancing sooner just due to the fact they hit the Fleet faster.

So OP, it depends on what contract your signed. If you're a 6 year guy, you're almost certainly in that category. If you're a 4 year, most likely not. That extra commitment time is supposed to cover the longer training, hence the extra 2 years of service and auto-PO3 for those folks.

/r
CTT1
Old 01-07-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
Jp123

Jp123 is on a distinguished road

What's up man, ITSN here with an ATF contract & putting on E4 in 2 months.

Just like everyone said its all based on time in rate. Those who came in as an E3 put on E4 the week after we all graduated school but that's only for ATF.

However, it doesn't sound like you're an ATF I'm pretty sure you'd know if you were. You're gonna have an A and C school. You will put on your IT rate after A school and that's when you'll take your IT3 exam at the next cycle, and yes they do it at Corry. Also, since you are an E3 they will put you into an indoc class at random automatically, it'll be for one weekend, and they tell you before hand.
Jp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #9
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp123 View Post
Those who came in as an E3 put on E4 the week after we all graduated school but that's only for ATF.
Just to clarify, coming in as an E-3 has nothing to do with the ATF program. You can still come in at E-3 and not have that. I know you mention that, I just wanted to make sure that was obvious lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp123 View Post
You will put on your IT rate after A school and that's when you'll take your IT3 exam at the next cycle, and yes they do it at Corry. Also, since you are an E3 they will put you into an indoc class at random automatically, it'll be for one weekend, and they tell you before hand.
Yes the exam can be given at Corry for those that meet the requirements needed to take it. That's actually where I did my CTT3 exam after A-school and before I got to my first command. As far as PO indoc, they may just give it to everyone on the off chance you make it then you'll have it done already. We do that at my current command just to ease the scheduling requirements down the road. We send all eligible candidates through the course regardless.

-break break-

Thanks for your input, ITSN! If you'd like to get your account verified as **Active Duty**, please send a message over to LTJG Guppy and she can help you out!

/r
CTT1