NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
navy123456

navy123456 is on a distinguished road
Default Recent RTC Graduate

Graduated from RTC this month! This forum was very helpful for me! Open to questions from deppers and parents of deppers as my mom had a myriad of questions leading up to my departure. Will do my best to answer.

some quick updates I can give
-strep throat is going around like crazy (thus resulting in a second peanut butter shot on 5-2 day) This is completely dependent on what sicknesses are going around at rtc. It is not normally given during summer months. Therefore I cannot predict if you will be getting a second dose, sorry!

-females, pap smears can be avoided if you have a pap done and results can be faxed from the last year. All you need to write down is where you had it, their phone #. Make sure it happened in the last year! OR else you will get one if you are over the age of 21. The staff is great, nothing to fear.

-I made 2nd class swimmer at my swim qual in boot camp and you will have a chance (just one chance) to try and qualify for that. At my swim test they also offered anyone a chance to try and qualify for a shot at a spec ops contract. This involved doing 15 correct form (i dont know what the form is because i didnt volunteer) pull ups on a bar. Not sure what the process was like after that but no one in my division passed the initial pull up screening.

-females, they had us fill out an anemic questionnaire in pdays. It does not say anemia questionnaire on the form but it asks about fatigue, diet questions, etc...it does involve a blood test if you are told you need it, but you are already having blood drawn that day for your medical portion of Pdays so its nothing to fear!

any questions feel free to post!
navy123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
FSLeeABE

FSLeeABE is on a distinguished road

First of all congrats on finishing rtc!

I ship for rtc on the 25 of this month so a few questions:

1. When is the first PFA?

2. What is everyday PT like?

3. In the summer time are we running on indoor or outdoor track
FSLeeABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
camfurr

camfurr is on a distinguished road

I was in bootcamp during the winter, but I'm pretty sure you will run your first PFA in freedom hall, since it is electrically timed. However, you better hope to God that you do PT outside, because running in freedom hall sucks, at least from my experience. And as far as spec ops go, they will not take a whole lot a of people, mostly because the the scruffs are assholes and don't like to let anybody in haha
camfurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
wdpballer

wdpballer is on a distinguished road

is it true for the people that go in undesignated that they let us fill in their a-school spots for the people that reveal something during the moment of truth?
wdpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Everyone gets a second peanut butter shot on 5-2 day, all the time. You get a whole second round of vaccinations that day. Its not too bad, it hurts and is sore but you'll live.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdpballer View Post
is it true for the people that go in undesignated that they let us fill in their a-school spots for the people that reveal something during the moment of truth?
That is not true. If you go to RTC undesignated, then you will leave RTC undesignated... except maybe if you try out for, and get accepted into, a SpecWar rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
Everyone gets a second peanut butter shot on 5-2 day, all the time. You get a whole second round of vaccinations that day. Its not too bad, it hurts and is sore but you'll live.
Not always... I went through boot Sep-Nov and I only got one during P-Days. I hear it depends on the season.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
navy123456

Okay so good questions and I think Haasino responded along the same lines as I would. My first PFA was midweek of my first week after pdays. It is indoors in freedom hall. The staff that runs the PFA is different from your RDCs. The first PFA is merely a baseline, have no fear but try your very best. Running indoors is quite different so it doesnt hurt to find an indoor track or run on a treadmill a few times. Different air.

PT is regulated according to a boot they have. It starts very basic and works its way up gradually throughout bootcamp. It may seem easy or hard in the beginning depending on how good of shape you arrive in. Either way my PT was a mix between some days running and some days doing "inhouse" pt. Which consisted of all of my division together doing push ups, sit ups, planks, flutter kicks etc...Its hot and a quick intense workout. The running was either a sustained run or interval running (sprint half a lap, jog half, spring 3/4 lap, jog 1/4). Ours was split into running groups according to speed. Personal accountability is huge for these workouts, you will only get better the harder YOU push yourself. Just something to keep in mind! I enjoyed PT.

We ran outside only a few times, mostly for the sustained runs. Which are just running at a consistent speed for 10,20 minutes. They build you up for these though.

We had a large number of undesignated sailors in my divison and they were not able to pick a rate while in bootcamp. They were able to use a list provided at classifications and request a region of the world (overseas v. not) or types of duty. Not sure how much they actually take that into consideration but at least its asked.

Peanutbutter round 2 is completely seasonal/RTC sickness based. I promise. You wont know until 5-2 day. You will get other shots on that day, this is true.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
VINO

VINO is on a distinguished road

What should should I study that is not in my s.t.a.r.t guide that you encountered at rtc?
VINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
honeybadger

honeybadger is on a distinguished road

Thank you for this post! Ok, so what happens on weekends?? Do you still have PT sat/sun?? And what was the oldest person in your division?? I am so self-conscious about my 'older' age! I don't want the younger people to be annoyed by my presence!!
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
navy123456

Your start guide really is an amazing source of information. Chain of command was a big thing for people to learn. It doesnt hurt to learn the first 5-6. They will teach it to you when you arrive at RTC but I found it was nice to have one less thing to worry about. It is true the Chain of Command is always changing, so make sure your information is up to date!

Another great way to make sure you know the information down cold is to say it out loud. Have someone question you about rank and recognition. I would get caught off guard sometimes and stumble a bit. Being able to recognize senior chiefs from masters chiefs on the street is important for your own good. So keep studying even if you think you know it.

PT schedules vary but it will be posted every morning on your plan of the day. Hard to explain but I promise you will know what PT you are doing each morning. My division did not PT on sundays. Sunday has holiday routine which includes going to church if elect to and studying until 1300. Then its back to training!

In terms of the oldest, we had a mix of young and older. I believe one male was 32. There were at least 5 people that I knew of that were above 28 y/o. So I promise you are not alone. And in the end, age wont matter.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
FutureSailor24

FutureSailor24 is on a distinguished road

Before I went through MEPS and since then I have had problems with getting my recruiter and the docs at MEPS seemed to have a hard time with taping me accurately. Is the way that they tape you and measure your BMI more accurate? I've heard that your BMI ends up being alot lower once they actually measure you at boot camp during p days.
FutureSailor24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSailor24 View Post
Before I went through MEPS and since then I have had problems with getting my recruiter and the docs at MEPS seemed to have a hard time with taping me accurately. Is the way that they tape you and measure your BMI more accurate? I've heard that your BMI ends up being alot lower once they actually measure you at boot camp during p days.
The biggest issue with BMI is that it's largely interpretive based on who tapes you... if they want you to pass, they can stay loose on your neck measurement and cinch it up on your waist. You don't want to be close to max BMI for this reason. The reason MEPS is usually harder and RTC is generally more lenient is because MEPS just sends you home and tells you to come back... RTC has to put you in a special division and continue to pay/feed you while you lose the weight... they'd rather just push you through if you're close.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
FutureSailor24

FutureSailor24 is on a distinguished road

That's good to know. Also I have about 5 months to get my BMI down, but I'm hoping that I lose the weight soon and then try to move my ship date up.
FutureSailor24 is offline   Reply With Quote