NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Cmann318

Cmann318 is on a distinguished road
Default Graduated Boot Camp Yesterday!!!

Hey future sailors! I just graduated yesterday and I'd love to help any future sailors out with any questions or concerns they have with boot camp? I'm on my way to A school as we speak so it might take me a few hours to respond back but ill answer any questions that I can for you!
Cmann318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
VINO

VINO is on a distinguished road

what did you come across in boot camp that i should study that isn't in the start guide?
VINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Cmann318

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINO View Post
what did you come across in boot camp that i should study that isn't in the start guide?
Mainly the stuff you're gonna need to know is in your start guide. General orders, rank recognition and chain of command are HUGE. You're gonna need to use those almost everyday in bootcamp. Everything else you're gonna learn will be taught to you while your there but if you know those 3 areas beforehand you'll be ahead of the curve. Every personnel inspection you have, you're gonna be asked a question from those 3 topics. Also when you stand watch and your RDC or the OOD comes in they'll most likely ask you a question pertaining to those 3 areas.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Nawwz

Nawwz is on a distinguished road

First off, congratulations! I'm going in November and I can't wait! This might be an unusual question, but what are the test formats like? Multiple choice, fill in the blank, or do you have to know everything word for word?
Nawwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
scarswell95

scarswell95 is on a distinguished road

A guy who was a at our last dep meeting is about 2-3 years in and he said every test you'll ever take in the Navy is multiple choice
scarswell95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Cmann318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawwz View Post
First off, congratulations! I'm going in November and I can't wait! This might be an unusual question, but what are the test formats like? Multiple choice, fill in the blank, or do you have to know everything word for word?
Thanks a lot! Yea all the tests are multiple choice and you pretty much get all the answers in the study guides that they give you. If you fail any of the 3 tests at boot it's because you just plain didn't pay attention cause they go over all the test material a lot. I never scored under a 4.8 on any of that tests and that's on a 5.0 scale.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
VINO

Can you please give me the format on how they will ask a question? Preferably with the ranks, and how would I formally answer?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
Cmann318

Quote:
Can you please give me the format on how they will ask a question? Preferably with the ranks, and how would I formally answer?
They'll say for example who is the ships LCPO? Lets say it was a petty officer that asked you. You'll say "Petty officer, the ships LCPO is senior chief Kenner Petty officer" you have to remember to sandwich your answer by addressing the person that asked you the question at the beginning and the end of the answer.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
VINO

Would it be best if I sound off? Or is that a bad thing
Old 07-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Would it be best if I sound off? Or is that a bad thing
Probably depends on your RDC. Just don't mumble. If they want you to be louder, I'm sure they'll tell you so.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #11
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmann318 View Post
They'll say for example who is the ships LCPO? Lets say it was a petty officer that asked you. You'll say "Petty officer, the ships LCPO is senior chief Kenner Petty officer" you have to remember to sandwich your answer by addressing the person that asked you the question at the beginning and the end of the answer.
Might be an OCS/RTC difference, but we were taught never to sandwich.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #12
Cmann318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Might be an OCS/RTC difference, but we were taught never to sandwich.
Yea at RTC they teach you to sandwich everything except when you're asked a question during weapons turnover inspection.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
VINO

Sorrying for the barrage of questions! lol, heres my last one I promise.
What was the process for who was picked for leadership roles? And how many times did fire until they stuck with the graduating one?
Old 07-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
Cmann318

Quote:
Sorrying for the barrage of questions! lol, heres my last one I promise.
What was the process for who was picked for leadership roles? And how many times did fire until they stuck with the graduating one?
I wad the Master At Arms for my division and I held the position the whole time. Basically my RDCs just asked people who wanted certain positions and they tried em out. Everyone kept their positions throughout with the exception of RPOC and AROC. We went through 3 of each before we stuck to one. They were set by week 2 or 3 of training though. If you're looking to get promoted I would suggest starboard or port watch. It's the hardest job to hold down and they will IT the crap out of you if they deck log is messed up, even if its not your fault. Both watches got promoted in my division though. Head crew and laundry POs are a good way to to get advanced too. The RDCs really take care of you cause you have to deal with dirty heads and dirty laundry everyday. Some people will tell you not to volunteer for anything at bootcamp and try not to stand out but if you want a leadership role then I say go for it and don't let it go. It has it perk for sure. Ask as many questions as you want also cause I don't mind answering any of them for ya.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
VINO

My goal is to be the RCPO, what were the reasons they get fired? & what can I do now to prepare myself
Old 07-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #16
Cmann318

Quote:
My goal is to be the RCPO, what were the reasons they get fired? & what can I do now to prepare myself
Being able to march is really the number one thing with the RCPO. The others got fired cause they didn't make the calls on the right foot of they weren't loud enough and the people in the back couldn't here them. If you don't know how to march yet I'd suggest you work on that cause that will make or break you as an RCPO. Also being a good leader, always the first one up and ready in the morning. Always being the first one to help out when something needs to be done goes a long way as well. When we finally picked our RCPO he led us to CNO gold at graduation. The division directly reflects you and you'll take all the heat and get all the praise as well. Our RCPO ended up getting the award for most outstanding recruit in our whole graduation battle group. Good luck to you if you get the position when you get to boot. When do you ship?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
VINO

I ship out 20130909, what did your rcpo do to get the "outstanding recruit reward"? Or what are the requirements in order to be considered?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #18
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I ship out 20130909, what did your rcpo do to get the "outstanding recruit reward"? Or what are the requirements in order to be considered?
Be outstanding?

More importantly, you need to have a good division behind you. If you're pushing to be Super Boot of the Navy all by yourself, you're not learning anything about teamwork.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #19
Cmann318

Quote:
Military bearing and having knowledge of the questions they ask you. You go in from if a panel of Chiefs, senior chiefs and master chiefs. They grill you with questions and you have to not only be quick witted and articulate with your answers but also keep perfect military bearing throughout the whole process. First though you have to stand out with your shipmates to even get nominated cause its them that decide which 2 from your division will go in front of that board of people.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #20
Bman

Bman is on a distinguished road

Were you offered at any point an opportunity to try out for a spec ops contract?
Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #21
bfree

bfree is on a distinguished road

Cmann318,

I have a question asked in another thread, but I haven't heard from the OP, yet. I see that you just made the thread recently so I thought you may be able to answer my question quicker.

http://www.navydep.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=41
bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #22
Cmann318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman View Post
Were you offered at any point an opportunity to try out for a spec ops contract?
I know you can try out for SARC if your a corpsman but im not really sure about anything else. I wanna say you can try out for a SWCC contract while there too but don't quote me on that. Everything else though I believe you have to be contracted before you go to boot camp.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #23
Cmann318

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfree View Post
Cmann318,

I have a question asked in another thread, but I haven't heard from the OP, yet. I see that you just made the thread recently so I thought you may be able to answer my question quicker.

http://www.navydep.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=41
They do an EXTENSIVE blood exam on you at bootcamp. They check for things like sickle cell trait, GHPD-6, and high cholesterol just to name a few. I think the MEPS test just checks for like HIV and STDs and things like that but the RTC blood test looks for everything that could be in your blood stream. They don't play at boot when it comes to your medical exams in P-Days. We atarted out with 92 people in P-Days and we graduated with 62 people. Atleast 25 of those people got separated for medical related issues that either MEPS didn't catch or MEPS didn't check for. They've had some people pass away at RTC in the last few years from things that slipped through the cracks or the recruits didn't speak up about, so they don't play anymore when it comes down to medical. Hope that helps you out a bit.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #24
bfree

bfree is on a distinguished road

Do they test for STDs in blood?
bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #25
Cmann318

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfree View Post
Do they test for STDs in blood?
Yes they do at bootcamp
Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #26
tiffanynacole

tiffanynacole is on a distinguished road

how do you like keesler so far?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #27
FutureSailor24

FutureSailor24 is on a distinguished road

do they do anything at bootcamp to try to prepare you for living on a ship?
FutureSailor24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #28
Cmann318

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanynacole View Post
how do you like keesler so far?
Its cool...only been here almost a week but I like it. My orders from boot said I was gonna start class the 29th of JUL but when I got here I found out they're really backed up, so I wont class up until October! Until then im just on the cleaning crew but its not bad at all and im getting paid for it. Im from Louisiana so im only 5 hours from home which is a big plus.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #29
Cmann318

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSailor24 View Post
do they do anything at bootcamp to try to prepare you for living on a ship?
Yes you're in your compartment pretty much 90% of the day. Most days you don't even go outside, you eat in your ship, go to classes their and you even PT inside of your compartment sometimes. I guess that get you used to alwas being inside when it comes time to get on a ship. You also sleep in racks like you would if you were on a ship.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #30
FutureSailor24

i know that this is a really really small thing, but are the racks comfortable or do you just end up not caring because you are so tired at the end of the day? what is a typical PT like? what kinds of exercises do they have you do?
Old 07-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #31
Cmann318

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSailor24 View Post
i know that this is a really really small thing, but are the racks comfortable or do you just end up not caring because you are so tired at the end of the day? what is a typical PT like? what kinds of exercises do they have you do?
Well im 6'1 250 lbs and the racks were pretty comfortable to me lol. I was so tired at the end of the day that I prolly could've slept on the floor but the racks aren't uncomfortable at all. PT ranges depending on the day really, you have a 5,10,12,17 and 20 minute sustained runs that you have to do. they have shuttle runs where you run around the track twice and then stop and do situps or pushups or jumping jack,just whatever your RDC wants you to do. Then you have in house strength and conditioning which is push ups, sit ups, flutter kick, wide grip and diamond pushups and more. Those in house sessions usually last about an hour or so. To be honest PT in bootcamp is really extremely easy atleast it was for me. I worked out for months prior to boo to get myself ready cause I wanted to pass my first PT test so I could get a promotion. PT was very easy for me but some people struggled and we even had 4 people not graduate and they still might be at boot camp trying to pass their final PT test. I would suggest running and doing sit ups and pushups atleast 4-5 times a week just to get yourself ready and acclimated to working out cause if you just come straight off the couch and not in some kind of shape you'll most likely struggle through boot camp when it comes to PT.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #32
FutureSailor24

Thanks. I joined in May and I have been working out since then and i don't ship until january 2014 and i'm in the gym working out 6 days each week and so i should be in pretty good shape when i arrive at RTC and i'm confident that i will be able to pass the PFA.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #33
tjmaurice

tjmaurice is on a distinguished road

Hey, does anyone know anything about the 900 divisions? Like how does one become a part of the choir?
tjmaurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #34
Cmann318

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmaurice View Post
Hey, does anyone know anything about the 900 divisions? Like how does one become a part of the choir?
I was a actually in a 900 division. I was in 936! We were the triple threat so we had band, choir and drill team. The first night you get there someone will ask you if you have drill experience or band or choir. Just speak up when they ask and you'll be put in the division for a tryout. Being a 900 has its perks for sure, I enjoyed my time in boot being apart of a 900.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:45 AM   #35
tjmaurice

tjmaurice is on a distinguished road

How does trying out work? Do you have to read music, do they give you a random song?
tjmaurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #36
Mparker181

Mparker181 is on a distinguished road

Hello! I'm going in as an AG as well and I just wanted to know how A school was going for you and if you started yet? How is Biloxi?
Mparker181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #37
BKLYNAMBITION

BKLYNAMBITION is on a distinguished road
Default chain of command

How far up the chain of command do you need to know? From your RDC all the way up to the President?
BKLYNAMBITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #38
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Yep.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote