NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
drego86

drego86 is on a distinguished road

Yes it is in bootcamp that you fill out your dream sheet for which rating you want. Towards the end of bootcamp you'll get a brief on the different ratings and be able to ask all the questions you want about them before you submit your list. You'll know which rating you got about a week or so later.
drego86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by drego86 View Post
Yes it is in bootcamp that you fill out your dream sheet for which rating you want. Towards the end of bootcamp you'll get a brief on the different ratings and be able to ask all the questions you want about them before you submit your list. You'll know which rating you got about a week or so later.
Very good to know. Thank you.
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Understand that all nukes are sea based in essence. If and when you get a "shore rotation" you have VERY few choices...RDC at boot, recruiter, or teach at nuke school..period. Most nukes I know and since my son was a nuke spend on average 2 enlistments on board ship. Going on deployments depends on the rotation of each ship/sub on when they go and when they are ready to go. They also go out on many "work-ups" and short training cruises...they also spend a lot of time in docks for maintainence...but since you cant just turn a nuclear reactor off, the nuke crew works while in docks.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
blange94

blange94 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Understand that all nukes are sea based in essence. If and when you get a "shore rotation" you have VERY few choices...RDC at boot, recruiter, or teach at nuke school..period. Most nukes I know and since my son was a nuke spend on average 2 enlistments on board ship. Going on deployments depends on the rotation of each ship/sub on when they go and when they are ready to go. They also go out on many "work-ups" and short training cruises...they also spend a lot of time in docks for maintainence...but since you cant just turn a nuclear reactor off, the nuke crew works while in docks.
So if your wanting to make the navy a career but not wanting to do one of those three, should you look at a different rate?
blange94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
drego86

No I wouldn't count out the rating just because of that. There are other shore duties you can get assigned to depending on which rating you end up getting. Getting to teach at one of the nuke schools is the shore duty everyone wants. if you're really interested in nuke then I wouldn't let the shore duty options persuade you to not pick it.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
blange94

blange94 is on a distinguished road

why is that so sought after?
blange94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
drego86

Because of all the free time you have as an instructor or LPO there. When your an instructor it's for all intensive purposes a 9-5 job. There are days when that's an exception but you get the idea. If you're an LPO, your job is to make sure each of your classes is moving along smoothly. After a certain amount of time the class leadership runs the class. Easy day.

Getting the instructor position allows nukes to focus on getting degrees and furthering their education. Bottom line is of all the shore duty options for nukes it gives the most "free time". Edit.... In my opinion of course.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know first hand but I would assume that it's really rewarding to be an instructor because you get to see bright young sailors flourish under crazy stress and help the ones that are struggling, plus you'd have a more predictable slightly more laid back job than an RDC(where you are a professional hardass) or a recruiter.

Also about the rate thing I did a bunch of research on other forums plus this one when I was really considering NUKE. I've seen that the breakdown by rates is 25% to ET/EM respectively and 50% MM I think I saw that on this site. I've also seen that in the past your asvab and NAPT score would effect your rate. I heard from an ET whose whole a school class had auto qualled on the asvab while a class of MMs all barely made the napt cut. I've also heard similar things about the strand selection for the AT rate but recently that just seems to be the bean counters throwing bodies where they need them without regard for apptiude, so I imagine the NUKE pipeline has gone the same way.
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote