NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
fsRizer

fsRizer is on a distinguished road
Default Surface or Sub

I am currently a depper approaching my 60 day mark and I was just wondering what are the pros and cons to Surface warfare to Sub.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

Sub Pros (my opinion): Smaller crew, closer knit community
Better Galley food (usually)
"Better" rotation on boomers (3 out 3 at home; often called part time sailors)

Sub Cons: No room at all (hot racking)
Longer hours of maintenance and watch
Can end up on a worse rotation (SSGN's and SSN's sometimes)
If you don't get along with the people you work with, it sucks
Less creature comforts

Surface Pros: Lots of creature comforts (Email, phone calls, liberty ports, food, living space)
Better watch rotation (usually)
See sunlight if you want

Surface Cons: Large crew (3,000-6,000)
Mass Prepared food = lower quality
Constantly changing sea rotations based on current events
More strict controls from big navy ie, more inspections (especially in Norfolk)

In general, no one is better than the other, its a matter of what you feel is best for you. I'm a surface guy, subs are too crampt and I like having the creature comforts subs don't afford, but that's just me.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
johnplisac32
**Active Duty**

johnplisac32 is on a distinguished road

Glad I got surface sounds like a better fit for me
Old 02-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

I hate to bump an old thread but this topic is exactly something I want more info on, I have already weighed a lot of pros and cons concerning sub or surface, but the one I am stuck on is liberty ports. Do bubbleheads get to stop in at ports around the world to see the things the surface crew sees? Would I ever have the chance to get on a carrier to see what it's like?

I think another thing that has me held up is the safety of a sub, they have a great record so far, but if we engage in war in the Asia- Pasific area, I feel like any direct hit to a sub and all hands are lost, however if I was on a carrier, not only would it be harder for them to attack due to the other surface ships near by, I think the survival rate would be higher..

Any help on this decision? Amd at what point does this decision have to be made? Did I read somewhere that you sub vol at boot?
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom_breaker View Post
I hate to bump an old thread but this topic is exactly something I want more info on, I have already weighed a lot of pros and cons concerning sub or surface, but the one I am stuck on is liberty ports. Do bubbleheads get to stop in at ports around the world to see the things the surface crew sees? Would I ever have the chance to get on a carrier to see what it's like?

I think another thing that has me held up is the safety of a sub, they have a great record so far, but if we engage in war in the Asia- Pasific area, I feel like any direct hit to a sub and all hands are lost, however if I was on a carrier, not only would it be harder for them to attack due to the other surface ships near by, I think the survival rate would be higher..

Any help on this decision? Amd at what point does this decision have to be made? Did I read somewhere that you sub vol at boot?
Admiral Rickover said the life expectancy for an aircraft carrier in a legitimate war would be like 15 minutes before it gets blown out of the water, we're talking about missiles inbounding from a long way away. Surface ships have the tech to counter missiles but don't you want to be sneaky

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
adamdg51

adamdg51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebailey View Post
Admiral Rickover said the life expectancy for an aircraft carrier in a legitimate war would be like 15 minutes before it gets blown out of the water
Sounds just like Rickover

But yes, aircraft carriers are essentially just huge targets. Submarines on the other hand are hunter-killers, almost completely silent, and overall pretty badass.

I'll be choosing subs when I get to boot
adamdg51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Going to talk partially out of my ass here and say that I wouldn't count on volunteering for sub duty at RTC. 1) I don't remember them asking for such volunteers when I was there. 2) When you sign at MEPS, your rating is going to be either sub or surface, and if they're planning your slot at A school (which they are) they're going to need to know whether to put you in sub school as well.

As for preference, I think I'd have loved the small community of a sub, but hopefully I can get a similar experience on a small boy if I stay in the Navy after leaving my carrier. I'd go insane without sunlight, fresh air, elbow room, and a rack that doesn't smell like two other dudes' balls.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
adamdg51

adamdg51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
Going to talk partially out of my ass here and say that I wouldn't count on volunteering for sub duty at RTC. .
Im pretty sure I read you do sub vol at boot. Because Ive heard many people talk about getting back pay for subs. So essentially your sub pay starts the day you volunteer at RTC.
adamdg51 is offline   Reply With Quote