NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
DHutch

DHutch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotOfWSC View Post
Congrats guys! You really made a great choice. If you guys have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

V/R
IT3
I chose this rate because i qualified and i thought it would be interesting, I have no experience in this field whatsoever. I was wondering how difficult A school is going to be given i have no experience?
DHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**

ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHutch View Post
I chose this rate because i qualified and i thought it would be interesting, I have no experience in this field whatsoever. I was wondering how difficult A school is going to be given i have no experience?
Being an IT is VERY interesting (great choice)!!! I always tell people that IT "A" school can be easy or hard depending on your motivation and interest levels. People who tend to be interested in certain topics usually do better in them. Some things can be confusing until you start to get the hang of it though. However, you don't really go too deep in depth with anything in "A" school anyway...you dig deeper in "C" school. That being said, difficulty depends on you. As long as you focus on class and get your study time in you'll be okay. If there is something you don't understand, stay for tutoring because there is a lot of information that will be thrown at you. You're not the first person to go into the rate with no experience and you definitely won't be the last. Good luck, you'll do fine!\

/R
IT2
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
king

king is on a distinguished road

IT. I'm going to RTC 20160107. I really want to leave earlier.
king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
nicknaaks

nicknaaks is on a distinguished road

Hey guys this is my first time using this forum so please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong lol.

Future sailor Tiong set to go to RTC on 20151110. Didn't get picked up for nuke so they put me into IT instead. haven't done any research on this rating because I really thought I was going to get picked up for nuke. I was wondering how long is A school? Also, after A school will I get assigned to my first command right away?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Sorry if I'm thread jacking)
nicknaaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
king

king is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaaks View Post
Hey guys this is my first time using this forum so please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong lol.

Future sailor Tiong set to go to RTC on 20151110. Didn't get picked up for nuke so they put me into IT instead. haven't done any research on this rating because I really thought I was going to get picked up for nuke. I was wondering how long is A school? Also, after A school will I get assigned to my first command right away?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Sorry if I'm thread jacking)
From what I understand, IT requires an A School and C School, which are both located in Pensacola. Did you sign a 6 year contract? If you don't have C School then yes, your first command will be assigned at the end of A School. Depending on how well your schooling goes, you get to fill out a dream sheet of places you prefer to go.
king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by king View Post
From what I understand, IT requires an A School and C School, which are both located in Pensacola. Did you sign a 6 year contract? If you don't have C School then yes, your first command will be assigned at the end of A School. Depending on how well your schooling goes, you get to fill out a dream sheet of places you prefer to go.
Not all IT's will go to C-schools. C-schools are for those specializing in a specific skill or equipment. So if you're destined for a command that needs that specific skill set, then the Navy will pay for you to get that school. If your billet doesn't require it though, they aren't going to spend thousands on a school you wont need.

The dream sheet is also exactly that; a dream. It's where you would like to go, not a list of places you will go. Just get your head around that you'll be going to where the Navy needs you guys rather than getting to pick. If they give you options though, awesome! ^_^

IT A-school is heavily computer based training and somewhat self-paced (you're working through modules). So it really depends on how fast you get through everything. Although at a minimum it will still take a couple months with everything going on.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #7
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**

ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road

Like CTT1 said, not all ITs get "C" school. It depends on if you signed a 4 year or a 6 year contract. If you signed for 6 years, then you will have a "C" school. Also, sometimes depending on how well you do in "A" school and the need for certain NECs, you can get picked up for a "C" school. IT "A" school is approximately 6 months in length and is split up into 4 different courses. It's instructor led, but most of your work is computer based. You can expect to be at Corry Station for 6 months to a year or over depending on if you just have "A" school or both and how long it takes you to class up, etc..

/R
IT2
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotOfWSC View Post
Like CTT1 said, not all ITs get "C" school. It depends on if you signed a 4 year or a 6 year contract. If you signed for 6 years, then you will have a "C" school. Also, sometimes depending on how well you do in "A" school and the need for certain NECs, you can get picked up for a "C" school. IT "A" school is approximately 6 months in length and is split up into 4 different courses. It's instructor led, but most of your work is computer based. You can expect to be at Corry Station for 6 months to a year or over depending on if you just have "A" school or both and how long it takes you to class up, etc..

/R
IT2
(IT2 I got your message, I just got back from leave and am trying to catch up on life...)

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
it's