NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Submarine (Bubbleheads) > SECF = Submarine Electronics/Computer field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
etorres313

etorres313 is on a distinguished road
Default SECF Info? General sub life help?

Just signed up as SECF having tough time getting a feel for what actual sub life is like. In terms of communication, deployements, being able to explore other places when your at port. Do you even go to ports or do you only pop up where you left from months down the road? Does it present the same opportunities of travel as being on ship. Definetely looking for the major differences between sub life and ship life most of all. Any help is appreciated
etorres313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
FutureSailor12

FutureSailor12 is on a distinguished road

Hooyah SECF!

Sub Life will be an entirely new experience. It is extremely rewarding career wise as well as for your post Navy Career.

You will have very little communication with the world when you are deployed. Fast attacks will visit ports every so often. The SSBN's not so much. I would have to say it doesn't give you the same opportunities as a ship but you will enjoy it more in my opinion.

Currently Stationed at Naval Submarine Base New London.
FutureSailor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
scarswell

scarswell is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard! Email is the only way we can communicate back home but that only happens at periscope depth and only with fast attack and ssgn's. Boomers stay under water the entire deployment so we are effectively completely cut-off from the rest of the world. SSN deployments can range anywhere from a few weeks to upwards of 6 months. SSBN and SSGN 3 months out to sea "3" months in ports while the other crew are out to sea. But the "3" months in is longer than 3 months because of maintenance and the boat being refitted with other equipment. Port calls for fast attacks and ssgns just depend on the deployment length and where you're going. I don't know a lot about about surface life but I'd say that we hit a few more ports than they do. #1 reason for going subs- you don't have to shave underway on most boats. Because we are such a tight family how many surface captains know everyone on their ship by first name? 0.

FutureSailor your the only other sub guy i've seen on here
scarswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
etorres313

Hey guys! what type of sub are you on how do you like it if you dont mind me asking? Do you know much about the in between time on a fast attacks. More like 6 mo deployment or more like 8-9 months like surface ships & do you spend your non deployment time out at sea anyways? I know boomers you cant do much in terms of going back under for training n such as the sub is gone with the other crew. I like this aspect as it'll grant more consistent time with the family but my wife (believe it or not) doesn't want me to sacrifice the opportunity of being able to see some of the world. I know its all need based of course. So im torn between the 2 if the opportunity is available for both when i select orders. Of course the better communication on FAs even if it is just email and phone calls and whatnot at ports helps id imagine. Any help in that regard.

Last edited by etorres313; 06-25-2014 at 07:07 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
scarswell

Fast attack for me. The deployments aren't on a set schedule some may last a few weeks others last months. Both have their pros and cons but I wanted to see as much as possible and that I have. Japan, Australia, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand. Yeah communicating is a big plus for me
Old 06-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
etorres313

Do you get time in between though or is it all constant being out? What exactly do you get in terms of communication n how often? Honestly how bad is it with the shared rack is it really 3 to a rack on rotations. Like ive been seeing. How is it being under do you get used to it in time? And mythbusters are subs really comprised of just a bunch of nerds? Or is that just people talking out the yang
Old 06-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
scarswell

There's usually 1 or 2 months in between deployments. How often you get email is all dependent on the captain since we can only email at pd and hes the one who decides when we go pd. Hot racking isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's 3 people to 2 racks. The only thing that I don't like is that there isn't a lot of room for personal stuff since the rack pans are split between 3 people. Unless the sea is really rough you really can't even tell you're underwater. If you ever watch the movie Down Periscope I think that is the most accurate to haw sub life and it's crew really is. Most captains want to have fun and they will bs with you. One time we took the COs door off his stateroom and hid it in the head. Try that on the surface you get ****ing kicked out of the navy. Then one time a few guys tagged out the door to his head (when something is tagged no one including the captain can use the piece of equipment until the AO approves the tag to be removed) so he had to try and track down the AO to be able to remove the tag. But the AO kept hiding from him. It's a fun time
Old 06-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarswell View Post
There's usually 1 or 2 months in between deployments. How often you get email is all dependent on the captain since we can only email at pd and hes the one who decides when we go pd. Hot racking isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's 3 people to 2 racks. The only thing that I don't like is that there isn't a lot of room for personal stuff since the rack pans are split between 3 people. Unless the sea is really rough you really can't even tell you're underwater. If you ever watch the movie Down Periscope I think that is the most accurate to haw sub life and it's crew really is. Most captains want to have fun and they will bs with you. One time we took the COs door off his stateroom and hid it in the head. Try that on the surface you get ****ing kicked out of the navy. Then one time a few guys tagged out the door to his head (when something is tagged no one including the captain can use the piece of equipment until the AO approves the tag to be removed) so he had to try and track down the AO to be able to remove the tag. But the AO kept hiding from him. It's a fun time
The enlisted- officer relationship is one of the reasons I want to go subs.
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
scarswell

It's definitely one of a kind
Old 06-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
etorres313

Might be a little off but any marrried men aboard the subs complain about the time away n communication? doesn't seems near as bad as surface as i was thinking,now that you say that. Of course communication is better but the physical of being home more often is always so much better. Have family friend FC in 12 yrs he says deployment are near 9-10 months now. How are the sub stations n base living if you have any knowledge. Any sub bases better than others i shoud know of lol
Old 06-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
scarswell

You really don't think about your family or at least we try not to because then you start thinking about them and how much you're missing. It's sorta like once you get into it it's like your family never even crosses your mind. Which is how I prefer it. I've only been to 2 bases so I can't say anything the others but Groton pretty damn old. A lot of the buildings and barracks were run down. When I left they had just condemned 2 buildings because mold was so bad. Guam on the other hand I think it's quite nice. Everything is up kept nicely. The beaches are beautiful. The only downside is that it is really expensive to fly back home
Old 06-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
etorres313

How long have you been in cant imagine the expense of leaving Guam. Hoping i cant stay stateside Hawaii at the most. Hows training and everything im going in right before the holidays to CT wondering how that will play out also. Hoping to get ET, any knowledge on how rate selection is based on?
Old 06-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #13
scarswell

Haha yeah its a good $1200 to fly back. I've been in for about 2 and a half years. It seems like most married guys stay on the east coast though. Well the winters are horrible and the summers are horrible in Groton. I'm an ET. It's a lot of work but I guess if you want it its worth it. I enjoy it though. In bess you put down the top 3 rates you want. The navy does its thing and they give you a job.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
etorres313

Rate selection is done in bess and orders being given towards the end of job training assuming, correct? Any tips for A school Bess that you are allowed to share or recommend to keep in mind?
Old 06-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #15
scarswell

Yeah that's correct. Just take really good notes and go in to study. The notes are secret so you can't take them out with you so go in to night study every few days. That helped a lot for me
Old 06-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #16
etorres313

Not sure if i ask or if you could provide an answer but looking for info on moving the family to A-school i you were or werent in this situation, did you know others in your schooling who were? Do most actually move there families to Aschool in CT? Is it worth it in terms of how long your actually there n get permission before you have to take off for your first orders.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #17
scarswell

The guys that I knew that were married moved them out. And I think they did it after bess. All you have to do is go and talk to someone and get on the waiting list for housing then pretty much when your number comes up they move your stuff. But honestly I'm not exactly sure how it works. But I know when I was there it had to be after bess.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #18
etorres313

Seeing as how your on FAs and been in for little while, do you feel like you've been gone most of the time or you feel like you get a good balance in between the 6 month deployments.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #19
scarswell

I'd say since I've made it to the boat I've been out around 70% of the time.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #20
etorres313

Follow up to that as a single or married man do you feel that you get adequate time in between for your own personal self/life. Time in between deployments and how its spaced apart over the course of time (if that makes sense). Do you happen to know any married men who feel like its too much if they had a choice would prefer opposite. (Boomers)
Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #21
etorres313

One thing i never got from you was how long is training in total after BC. Seeing 6-10 mo avg from info ive seen various places. If you remember whats a decent ballpark to ook forward to.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #22
scarswell

I was there for about 11 months but id say the average is about 9-11
Old 07-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #23
etorres313

Awesome thanks pay question if you dont mind.....in reference to the extras what do you receive on top of just the normal pay. Only while underway you receive sub pay and sea pay? At port you dont get these correct? Family seperation if any knowlwdge, does it kick it after 30 days even if from day one you know youll be gone a few months?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #24
scarswell

Sub pay starts once you start boot camp since you already volunteered for submarines. We don't get sea pay just sub pay. We get it from the time the deployment starts to when it ends. Not sure about family separation though
Old 07-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #25
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Sub Pay info - http://www.military.com/benefits/mil...ntive-pay.html

For Family Sep, it starts after 30 days, but you do get back pay for the first 30 days.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #26
etorres313

Thanks for the assist
Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #27
MMSFutureSailor

MMSFutureSailor is on a distinguished road

Hooyah subs! I am actually just about to start a-gang a school in a few days. I should be heading to the fleet by October. Honestly since I got here to Groton and really started talking to instructors and had a chance to see a few boats I realized how glad I was that I chose submarines. The level of hooyah on this base is crazy. Bess is easy as long as you spend some time studying, and try even a little. As secf you will be here at least 8 months. Good luck on nav, it's kinda random with getting rates. Probably 65-75% of people got what they wanted. FT was the rate that had the fewest people in it for my class. If you get radio you will actually be here closer to a year+ and maybe as much as 18 months if you get stuck on hold.

It all just depends on your hold times. Either way life here at sub school is pretty good as long as you are doing what you are told and actually trying in your classes. Groton itself is okay, but once you get liberty you can go to Boston or New York pretty easily on long weekends and such. With luck I should find out what base I am going to in a few days.

Good luck in boot camp. It's pretty easy as long as you pay attention and do what you are told. Amazingly that's harder for some then you would think.
MMSFutureSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #28
etorres313

Do subs have shore duty options? What would they be? If you know of any knowledge to them. When you guys picked your orders how was the availabilityin terms of different locations? Of course needs at time i know but just curious? Also when you pick orders do you acutally get to see a list to pick from (locations & type of sub) or would they just go based off your dream sheet on order.

I know for me i have preferred locations but also sub type preferences also just curious to how this factors in when it comes to the combination of choices we get
Old 08-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #29
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by etorres313 View Post
Do subs have shore duty options? What would they be? If you know of any knowledge to them. When you guys picked your orders how was the availabilityin terms of different locations? Of course needs at time i know but just curious? Also when you pick orders do you acutally get to see a list to pick from (locations & type of sub) or would they just go based off your dream sheet on order.

I know for me i have preferred locations but also sub type preferences also just curious to how this factors in when it comes to the combination of choices we get
Generally you won't go to shore until you do a sea tour (there are some exceptions).

The big shore tours include instructor, recruiter, and staff.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #30
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Generally you won't go to shore until you do a sea tour (there are some exceptions).
Haze grey, UNDERWAY! ;)

V/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:22 AM   #31
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

What is staff exactly?
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:23 AM   #32
LT Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyPheonix View Post
What is staff exactly?
Staff commands are things like SURFLANT, SURFPAC, AIRLANT, SUBLANT, FLEET FORCES, and each base. Basically all the behind the scenes work that keeps the fleet running. They schedule all the deployments and maintenance periods, as well as make sure the operational commands have the correct manning. Typically staff commands have an Admiral at the top (except the bases, they typically have Captains)

Old 08-08-2014, 04:49 AM   #33
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guppy.
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #34
FutureSailorjb2

FutureSailorjb2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarswell View Post
Welcome aboard! Email is the only way we can communicate back home but that only happens at periscope depth and only with fast attack and ssgn's. Boomers stay under water the entire deployment so we are effectively completely cut-off from the rest of the world. SSN deployments can range anywhere from a few weeks to upwards of 6 months. SSBN and SSGN 3 months out to sea "3" months in ports while the other crew are out to sea. But the "3" months in is longer than 3 months because of maintenance and the boat being refitted with other equipment. Port calls for fast attacks and ssgns just depend on the deployment length and where you're going. I don't know a lot about about surface life but I'd say that we hit a few more ports than they do. #1 reason for going subs- you don't have to shave underway on most boats. Because we are such a tight family how many surface captains know everyone on their ship by first name? 0.

FutureSailor your the only other sub guy i've seen on here
Currently SECF, I ship out May 12th. I have been looking into changing to CTR, but if it comes down to me not being able to I believe I will be just as happy with SECF.
FutureSailorjb2 is offline   Reply With Quote