NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #151
squid.life

squid.life is on a distinguished road

Haasino,
Back to your thoughts on your unicorn AWO reservist. Since we don't do go to SERE etc. are deserve aircrew just limited to being on base? How much time do we actually spend on a plane, if any?
squid.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #152
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid.life View Post
Haasino,
Back to your thoughts on your unicorn AWO reservist. Since we don't do go to SERE etc. are deserve aircrew just limited to being on base? How much time do we actually spend on a plane, if any?
If you're in a reserve VP squadron, you'll have to go through Level C SERE... if you're in a VR squadron on C-130s or C-40s, you'll just do Level A or B online courses. You're still going to fly... you're just not flying over combat zones carrying classified equipment like VP aircraft. VR guys just don't need the advanced level of resistance training MPRA guys do.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #153
squid.life

squid.life is on a distinguished road

I hate how everytime I want to write reserves my phone changes it to deserve.

Thanks for your thoughts on this thread. Hearing from an actual Aircrewmanis great. Getting a flight suit shortly to take to the pool with me and start swimming my mile in that. I know i know, over preparedness is a fault of mine.
squid.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #154
JesseAW

JesseAW is on a distinguished road

Just want to start of by saying thanks for all the info on here, i finally found this site and it provided real info for the aircrewman rating. So my shipdate is 02/05/2015 contracted AW. I've actually grown up and lived 20 mins from NAS Pensacola and been on base a few times taking PST's. I'm really interested in the P-8 Poseidon, If I had my choice of aircraft it it would be the P-8, as a P-3 crewmember what is life like? Do you frequently stay in the US and then go overseas on flights and come back immediately after or do you stay overseas for months at a time at bases? I'm totally clueless about the lifestyle as a crewmember of a non-carrier based aircraft in the Navy. Also, how likely will it be that I will receive training for the P-8? That would fall into the AWO rating which is very common and could I actually go on base at NAS Pensacola and just talk to some instructors there to get info on training and what i should be doing to prepare and also the likelihood of what aircraft I'll be assigned during NACCS. Thanks alot, any and all info is greatly appreciated.
JesseAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #155
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! Fortunately for you, the P-8A Poseidon is steadily coming into service... VP-5, VP-16, and VP-45 have already fully transitioned... VP-10 is about to transition as soon as they get back from deployment... and VP-8 will complete the Jacksonville transition next summer/fall. Current forecast is to have the MPRA community completely transitioned to the Poseidon by the beginning of the next decade.

The Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance community is a fantastic community, and the Naval Aircrewman (Operator) rating is one of the best enlisted jobs in any branch of service... it's also the most in-demand specialty within the Aircrew community, with more AW's on the P-8 then there are on the standard P-3's, and growing special programs opportunities for Operators.

Generally, you're going to have deployment... which is about 6-7 months... and about a 13-14 month Inter-Deployment Ready Cycle (IDRC). Deployments are usually split between 2-3 sites, with additional detachments of one or two aircraft and Combat Aircrews (CAC's) to areas nearby. To use my squadron's past deployment as an example... they were split roughly 50/50 between airbases in Kadena and Misawa, Japan... and sent individual CAC's on Det to places like Korea, Thailand, Guam, the Philippians, and Australia (The latter two being specifically to search for MH370). Other sites we publicly deploy to include Bahrain, Djibouti, Sigonella, and El Salvador... as well as many unpublished places we deploy to which I won't go into. When you fly missions, you're going to take off from wherever you're deployed or on Det to, and then you're going to return to that location. As far as what I can disclose... missions can be anywhere from 6-12+ hours. The P-8A has in-flight refueling capabilities, and is slated to perform 72+ hour missions in the coming years... we're talking about multiple crews onboard though... Aircrew only works a max of 8 hours before we have to be given crew-rest.

While on IDRC, you generally stay at home... either NAS Jacksonville, or NAS Whidbey Island (MCAS Kaneohe Bay in Hawaii is moving the VP squadrons to Whidbey in 2017)... however you may have Dets anywhere in the world... from Las Vegas to Crete... and can last anywhere from 2 days, to two months. Sometimes it's a specific CAC or two who are sent... sometimes it's a mash-up crew with volunteers or aircrew with special skills or access.

Also, you may see a lot of vague info... one thing you're going to need to understand as an AWO, is that the MPRA community is much more than just hunting submarines and patrolling the seas... we do a lot of things that don't get published or discussed. You're going to learn what you actually do as you progress through the 2 year training pipeline; it's pretty cool. You're required to have a Secret security clearance to attend A School and SERE... but it will be upgraded to a Top Secret w/SCI eligibility during your time in Fleet Replacement training at VP-30... so don't lie on your paperwork! Your career is going to be severely hampered if you can't get the clearance needed.

As far as job selection and getting on base... you'll need to talk to your recruiter about getting on base, but the job selection is as follows: You'll choose/get assigned a series rating (AWO, AWF, AWV, or MH-53E AWS) at the end of NACCS... AWO is always the most common... you'll pick whether you want to be P-3 or P-8, and Acoustic, or Non-Acoustic/EWO at the end of A School... this is based on available orders and you choose in order based on class GPA... and you'll receive your final squadron orders at the end of FRS training at VP-30. If you're P-3, you can give your preference of Washington or Hawaii... P-8 stays in Jacksonville.

Beyond that, let me know if there are any other questions I can answer!

Old 12-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #156
Hamilton

Hamilton is on a distinguished road
Question

[QUOTE=Haasino;34014]Unfortunately, you cannot volunteer for Aircrew as an AE/AT anymore... that ended Oct. 1st 2008 when all Aircrew duties were consolidated into the AW rating. If you want to be Aircrew, you'll need to have your recruiter submit a DAR to switch your rating from AV to either AIRC (Fixed-wing/MH-53E) or AIRR (Rescue Swimmer). Your other option will be to enlist AV, and then try to cross-rate once you hit PO2 (You can try after 2 years, but nobody is coming back here below PO2 currently).

I just DEPd in as an AV today and after reading your posts AW seems like something I really want to do. My recruiter told me I had the option to volunteer for Aircrew duties but clearly he was wrong. How likely are my chances of getting my recruiter to submit a DAR (btw what is a DAR?) and actually being able to switch over to AIRC, AIRR or AW? Also I'm a female and plan on getting my college transcripts in before I graduate bootcamp in June and enlisting as an E-3 if that helps or makes any difference at all.
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:24 AM   #157
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me for cutting in as this is largely Hassino's thread. As the Navy retires the Aircraft they work on, the AWF and AWV rates are cutting billets to the point that there is consideration of going back to the system where those billets currently filled by Fs and Vs are filled by ATs and AEs who have gone through NACCS. So there is that to consider but if you are more interested in the AWO experience, I'll do my best to answer your questions.

A DAR is a dep action request, they're chits submitted by your recruiter into their chain of command to change the terms of your contact. For you to get an AIRR or AIRC contract via DAR a person with one of those contracts has to drop out of dep. The likelihood is really impossible to tell.
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #158
Haasino
**Active Duty**

^ BloodyPheonix pretty much covered it.

The discussion of going back to the pre-2008 rating system is mentioned in this article: Advisory Board Formed to Assess Future of AW Rate. It took them 3 years to make the decision to consolidate the ratings last time... so I'm not expecting a quick answer. Maybe by the time the AWF and AWV billets are completely gone, they'll have reached a decision, lol.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:43 AM   #159
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

NavyGirl2015 is on a distinguished road

Went to MEPS yesterday and got my contract for Aircrew! I ship on the 27th of May!
NavyGirl2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:19 AM   #160
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

I just got my hands on the Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide and perusing through it I found that fixed wing aircrew doesn't require depth perception. Am I interpreting that correctly? I've seen people who got DQ'd from Aircrew for not having Depth Perception so I'm confused.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #161
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyPheonix View Post
I just got my hands on the Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide and perusing through it I found that fixed wing aircrew doesn't require depth perception. Am I interpreting that correctly? I've seen people who got DQ'd from Aircrew for not having Depth Perception so I'm confused.
Hmm... just before I signed my AIRC contract at MEPS, they made me go back and take a depth perception test to make sure I qualified. But now that I think about it, I've never done one since, including during my annual flight physicals.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #162
BloodyPheonix

I double checked the applicant and designated checklists to see if it's required for one but not the other but depth perception is not required across the board for AIRC. The Navy is confusing.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:17 AM   #163
BillyBeru

BillyBeru is on a distinguished road

Haasino, big thanks for taking the time to answer questions, I just read this whole thread. I have a wealth of questions and they're mostly AIRR specific. I'm sold on the RS program, I even considered AF Pararescue, but I'm family biased towards the Navy and I want to travel/possibly take classes while active. Here go the Qs:

- What opportunities are there for further training as an AWS/AWR? Like EMT training or anything else within the AW rate, and do those opportunities allow you to advance quicker?

- You mentioned the schedule for your rate, is that similar for an AWS/AWR? The 0800 to 01500, flights here and there, etc. how about on deployment? What's their work routine like?

- I understand that the large majority of my job will be as a helo crewman, what does that entail? Anti-sub, anti-piracy, transfer of goods, etc. what does that really mean? Day to day, hour to hour, what are me and my helo homies really doing?

- How many SAR or CSAR squads are actually in the Navy? Where are they stationed? and, How hard are they to get onto? (I'm actually more and more coming around to the idea of just being an aircrew on a helo, aside from RS qualifications)

- Do you know how much of a RSs career really involves the RS side of it? Training, etc (I understand there is very little rescuing to be done, which is a good thing) How do RSs differ from other aircrew, other than the Helo platform?

I know it's a lot to ask and that it isn't even your area, but if you can just tell me what you know. I'm an over-thinker just trying to wrap my head around a 6 yr commitment. Really appreciate it brother, you're the man
BillyBeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #164
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBeru View Post
Haasino, big thanks for taking the time to answer questions, I just read this whole thread. I have a wealth of questions and they're mostly AIRR specific. I'm sold on the RS program, I even considered AF Pararescue, but I'm family biased towards the Navy and I want to travel/possibly take classes while active. Here go the Qs:

- What opportunities are there for further training as an AWS/AWR? Like EMT training or anything else within the AW rate, and do those opportunities allow you to advance quicker?

There aren't too many additional qualifications for AWS, however AWR has some qual's related to Anti-Submarine Warfare, radar, and FLIR. There are also always opportunities to be an instructor within the squadron, or a NATOPS evaluator. In general, the more qual's you volunteer for, the better your Evaluations will be which helps you advance.

- You mentioned the schedule for your rate, is that similar for an AWS/AWR? The 0800 to 01500, flights here and there, etc. how about on deployment? What's their work routine like?

I'm honestly not that familiar with the helo day-to-day... I know you're still limited by flight hours and mandatory crew rest requirements, so don't expect 12-18hr work days, followed by 8-12hr watches. Generally, there will be a crew on the ready for SAR, crews flying as needed, and everyone else just kind of hangs out in the RSS shop, works out, or studies if they're still getting qualified. Deployed on a ship, you're not part of Ship's Company... so no working in the galley, no roving or bridge watches, and AW's generally lock themselves in their shop during drills.

- I understand that the large majority of my job will be as a helo crewman, what does that entail? Anti-sub, anti-piracy, transfer of goods, etc. what does that really mean? Day to day, hour to hour, what are me and my helo homies really doing?

It's going to depend on your rating and platform... MH-60R AW's do Anti-Submarine Warfare (And whether we want to acknowledge it or not, ASW is rapidly becoming a national priority again), CSAR, and anti-piracy ops. ASW means dropping sonobuoys and analyzing the data... usually working coordinated ops with us up in the P-3s... most of the specifics surrounding ASW are classified, but you'll learn to see noises, as we put it. CSAR is basically flying into hostile territory, jumping out with a rifle, and grabbing a downed pilot. There's obviously more to it than that... but I've fortunately never been in a position to see the details.

MH-60S crewmen are all about VERTREP... slinging cargo underneath the helo and carrying it between ships. There's a lot of loadmaster work involved... weight and balance, making sure there's altitude clearance, directing the pilots, etc. MH-60S' are always the preferred platform for SAR missions... Romeo's have very little space in the back due to the sonobuoy launch tubes, sensor station, crew-served weapons, and wing pylons... Sierra's, on the other hand, are just like Army Blackhawks and have a wide-open cargo area for rescue baskets and medical personnel. That's not to say a Romeo won't do SAR... but if it's not combat, and a Sierra is there, they'll send the helo with more room in the back... that's why the SAR squadrons all use Sierra's.

- How many SAR or CSAR squads are actually in the Navy? Where are they stationed? and, How hard are they to get onto? (I'm actually more and more coming around to the idea of just being an aircrew on a helo, aside from RS qualifications)

The only truly dedicated SAR squadrons I'm aware of are Whidbey Island SAR up here, and Longhorn SAR out in Fallon, NV. These are the only two helo squadrons without HSM/HSC designators... they fly white & orange MH-60S' with RESCUE all over them, are attached directly to the CO of the base, and only do military and civilian rescues. Here in Whidbey, WISAR handles any request from Washington State for rescue or Medivac, so they're always running missions to aid civilians. Besides that, VX-31 down in China Lake has a small SAR contingent... HSC-25 in Guam gets a lot of SAR calls because the Coast Guard is stretched thin out there... and HSC-12 in Atsugi, Japan also gets a bit of action from what I've heard. As far as CSAR, the only dedicated squadron for that is in the Air Force. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how easy or hard it is to get into any of these squadrons... WISAR and Longhorn SAR are essentially shore duty assignments... so I'd assume you're looking at 2nd tour assignment there.

- Do you know how much of a RSs career really involves the RS side of it? Training, etc (I understand there is very little rescuing to be done, which is a good thing) How do RSs differ from other aircrew, other than the Helo platform?

Aside from the RS training and qual's, it's pretty much just day-to-day helo operations. AWR's and AWO's have very similar jobs on the ASW front... AWO's just have more collateral duties related to the P-3 & P-8's expanded role in Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance missions. There's also the shipboard life aspect that fixed-wing guys don't experience... unfortunately I really don't know what that's like.

I know it's a lot to ask and that it isn't even your area, but if you can just tell me what you know. I'm an over-thinker just trying to wrap my head around a 6 yr commitment. Really appreciate it brother, you're the man
Answers to you questions are in RED above.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #165
SanDiego

SanDiego is a jewel in the rough

Hey Haasino, did you have to go through a polygraph to obtain your TS?
SanDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #166
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego View Post
Hey Haasino, did you have to go through a polygraph to obtain your TS?
For my TS? No... but the TS was kinda just a collateral check in the box for other stuff.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:19 AM   #167
HM DEEZLE

Location: NC babbbbbyyyyy ... where we're good for nothing except SWEET TEA, BBQ, and BASKETBALL
HM DEEZLE is a splendid one to beholdHM DEEZLE is a splendid one to beholdHM DEEZLE is a splendid one to behold

Haasino,

As a HMDA, is there any chance I could volunteer for SAR or would I have to drop the "DA" to go Aircrew?

And also what do the Aircrew corpsman do in general and on a Day-to-Day?

Depped: 20140729

Ship: 20150317
HM DEEZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #168
Haasino
**Active Duty**

DA is dental, right? I'm not positive, but I'd assume you'd have to that pipeline for SAR. SAR guys are more combat medicine like FMF. Unfortunately, I really couldn't tell you what the day-to-day is like... I've just never dealt with SAR guys except for the few that were in my SERE class. They hadn't reached their squadron though, so they didn't know either.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:27 PM   #169
HM DEEZLE

Location: NC babbbbbyyyyy ... where we're good for nothing except SWEET TEA, BBQ, and BASKETBALL
HM DEEZLE is a splendid one to beholdHM DEEZLE is a splendid one to beholdHM DEEZLE is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
DA is dental, right? I'm not positive, but I'd assume you'd have to that pipeline for SAR.
Yes it's dental.

So I would probably have to drop my dental?

And what about AIRR Corpsman? How could I fly aircrew with you guys?

Old 02-01-2015, 11:51 PM   #170
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM DEEZLE View Post
Yes it's dental.

So I would probably have to drop my dental?

And what about AIRR Corpsman? How could I fly aircrew with you guys?
AIRR is the Aviation Rescue Swimmer program that puts candidates into either the AWR or AWS helo crewman rating. They have some medical training, but nothing extensive.

The best information I can give you is to be in good physical shape, and express an interest in going SAR when you get to your "A" School in Texas. From what I gathered at SERE, you volunteer to PT with the program coordinators and other candidates in the mornings before your regular class schedule... if they like you, they'll offer you a spot. They'll also be able to give you better information about whether or not you have to drop your HMDA contract.

Unfortunately, that's really all I know because... fortunately... I've never dealt with SAR corpsmen outside of SERE training, lol.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:41 AM   #171
HM DEEZLE

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's really all I know because... fortunately... I've never dealt with SAR corpsmen outside of SERE training, lol.
Haha no worries this is good info thanks

Old 02-06-2015, 02:41 AM   #172
Bekkelee

Bekkelee is on a distinguished road
Default AIRC ATF

Hoping you can help out a very confused and overwhelmed mom......I'm looking for clarification on job info for AIRC-ATF.
Bekkelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #173
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekkelee View Post
Hoping you can help out a very confused and overwhelmed mom......I'm looking for clarification on job info for AIRC-ATF.
Absolutely... what do you want to know?

Old 02-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #174
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Hass,

I might be seeing myself in a flight suit soon. Anything I should know about the flight community that most people screw up on their first time flying? Maybe some flight do's and don'ts?

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #175
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

And by soon I mean not, since they just called and said the orders were already taken.

Because **** me, that's why.

/r
CTT1
Old 02-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #176
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Well that's lame... you'd have been working right across the ramp from me.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:39 PM   #177
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

There's still a chance as I might be converting to CTR to go fly, but nothings in writing yet.

The orders I was going for were more of a "right now" kind of thing.

/r
CTT1

Edit: Do you have any Spook friends across the ramp?
Old 02-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #178
Haasino
**Active Duty**

No spooks... but I've got two AWV buddies who are EWOPs... or ESOPs... of whatever the hell they call them these days. That command just had some... issues... at Red Flag, so not going there right now might not be a bad thing.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #179
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
No spooks... but I've got two AWV buddies who are EWOPs... or ESOPs... of whatever the hell they call them these days. That command just had some... issues... at Red Flag, so not going there right now might not be a bad thing.
Yea from what I've heard, Red Flag isn't that far away from Tail Hook in some regards.

/r
CTT1
Old 02-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #180
Haasino
**Active Duty**

A bunch of VP/VQ guys getting per diem in Vegas for 2 weeks?

What could possibly go wrong?

Old 03-01-2015, 08:51 AM   #181
SanDiego

SanDiego is a jewel in the rough

Hey Haasino, I swore in this past September at the age of 26 and will turn 27 in boot camp this coming May. I was wondering if it is realistic to put on E-6 by the time my first enlistment is done? I'll be 32 and would like to make E-7 some time after I re-enlist. I am roughly 50 credits away from completing a degree in mathematics so I'm not ruling out the possibly of OCS before the age cut-off of 35, however, with all that being up in the air I was just curious if at least making Chief before I am 35 is do-able.

Also, my contract is AIRC but I was curious on the possibility of cross-rating to AIRR before 30. By the time I finish my pipeline I'll be 28-29 so I understand that idea might be a long shot. What about trying to go AIRR when I am up for re-enlistment at the ripe age of 32 (considering the age cut off for AIRR is 30)? Have you seen it done? I would love the opportunity to earn a surface warfare pin and go through the "shellback" experience although I prefer being on a ship as an airmen over a seamen any day haha.

I know these maybe questions that are hard to answer because of the transition AIRC is currently going through but any insight would be awesome. Thanks again.
SanDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #182
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego View Post
Hey Haasino, I swore in this past September at the age of 26 and will turn 27 in boot camp this coming May. I was wondering if it is realistic to put on E-6 by the time my first enlistment is done? I'll be 32 and would like to make E-7 some time after I re-enlist.
It's HIGHLY unlikely that you'll make PO1 in your first enlistment. It's been done before, but you have to be an EP Sailor, along with the conditions being perfect. But I would say 90% likely that isn't going to happen.

PO1, let alone Chief, is a HUGE mile stone in a Sailor's career that can take around 6-8 years (PO1) to about a decade (Chief) to make.

This isn't the Army or the Air Force.
You don't just get to rank up like that in the Navy. You gotta do your time and earn it. That's why becoming a PO1 or a Chief actually means something to us because it takes time, knowledge, and experience to earn that position and title.

/r
CTT1
Old 03-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #183
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

For instance, look at AW2 Hassino.

He's a PO2 who's excellent in his job as well as being a proficient expert in general Naval topics. That kind of skill and knowledge just doesn't happen overnight and takes years to develop.
He is going to a make a STRONG candidate for AW1, but that just goes to show you what it takes.

/r
CTT1
Old 03-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #184
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
For instance, look at AW2 Hassino.

He's a PO2 who's excellent in his job as well as being a proficient expert in general Naval topics. That kind of skill and knowledge just doesn't happen overnight and takes years to develop.
He is going to a make a STRONG candidate for AW1, but that just goes to show you what it takes.

/r
CTT1

Old 03-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #185
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Joking aside, CTT1 nailed it. As an AW, you're looking at about 2 years of training before you even put on auto-E-4... then possibly another 6-8 months before you can take your first look at the E-5 exam depending on testing dates and when you graduate VP-30. This time last year, AWO2 was only 15%, and AWO1 was 0%... as in nobody who took the 1st Class exam advanced. Last fall it went up to 40.5% for 2nd, and 11.7% for 1st. Only AW in my command to make 1st was a former VQ guy who had 6 Air Medals for getting constantly shot at over Libya and Syria.

To put it in another perspective, there was an A-PACT in my bootcamp division who made 2nd class as an AT before I made 3rd class through auto-advancement. That being said, my flight pay and per diem still gave me more take-home pay than her, lol.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:51 PM   #186
Edge

Edge is on a distinguished road
Default Questions

Hi, so I decided I would get a little college in before going into the Navy, and Aircrew sounds perfect for me. Been trying to find out anything and everything about it. My questions would be:

1. Is there a height restriction for Aircrew? I stand at a towering 6'6", and know that I already can't be a pilot, but is there a similar thing for Aircrew? I know the general limit for the Navy is 6'8".

2. I heard that the deployments for Aircrew are not the same as your average sailor. What is so different?

3. Lastly, some people have said that the flight physical has grounded a lot of guys, I'm in pretty good shape but am not sure about the difference between a flight physical and a regular one. What are some of the disqualifying factors, or things that require a waiver?

Thanks so much for your time!
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:02 AM   #187
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

Where all does AWS get stationed?
Old 04-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #188
Rooster

Rooster is on a distinguished road
Default 2nd Class Swim Test

During the 2nd class swim test do we use goggles?
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #189
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

No goggles during the second (or third) class swim. They do tell you to swim with your eyes open.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #190
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Sorry about the delayed response... I've been converting jet fuel into exhaust for Democracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Hi, so I decided I would get a little college in before going into the Navy, and Aircrew sounds perfect for me. Been trying to find out anything and everything about it. My questions would be:

1. Is there a height restriction for Aircrew? I stand at a towering 6'6", and know that I already can't be a pilot, but is there a similar thing for Aircrew? I know the general limit for the Navy is 6'8".

2. I heard that the deployments for Aircrew are not the same as your average sailor. What is so different?

3. Lastly, some people have said that the flight physical has grounded a lot of guys, I'm in pretty good shape but am not sure about the difference between a flight physical and a regular one. What are some of the disqualifying factors, or things that require a waiver?

Thanks so much for your time!
1.) I've never seen anything written dictating a height requirement for Aircrew... there used to be a 245lb limit for ejection seats, but we haven't flown in those types of aircraft since the S-3 was retired from sub-hunting.

2.) Deployment will vary depending on if you're fixed-wing Aircrew, or H-60 Aircrew. For -60 guys, the deployment will be with a carrier or small boy and will pretty much be the same since you're essentially riding along with the ship. For fixed-wing AW's, you're going to be land-based and will deploy for 6-7 months to a foreign air base of some sort... Patrol & Reconnaissance squadrons are typically splitting their crews between two sites right now, with numerous single-crew detachments to nearby areas. Basically, we do Air Force deployments while still being able to claim ourselves as Navy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGirl2015 View Post
Where all does AWS get stationed?
MH-53E AWS' are only in Norfolk... MH-60S AWS' are primarily in Norfolk and San Diego, with one HSC squadron in Japan, and a dedicated SAR squadron in Nevada and Washington. Unless you have an AIRR contract, your only option for AWS will be the -53.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
During the 2nd class swim test do we use goggles?
Not for the 2nd Class... the only time you can wear goggles is during the 1 mile swim at the end of NACCS.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #191
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

My eyes are pretty bad so would I just use glasses in the pool? Only other option is contacts with goggles or prescription goggles. Going without anything isn't rrally an option for me since my eye sight is so bad. And, since I'm curious, what aircrew jobs get stationed in San diego?
Old 04-03-2015, 04:30 PM   #192
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
My eyes are pretty bad so would I just use glasses in the pool? Only other option is contacts with goggles or prescription goggles. Going without anything isn't rrally an option for me since my eye sight is so bad. And, since I'm curious, what aircrew jobs get stationed in San diego?
You won't be allowed to wear glasses or contacts from what I recall... as long as you can see general shapes, you'll be fine... there's no real precision as long as your form is proper. My buddy was almost over the 20/400 disqualifier and was able to manage.

Rescue Swimmers on MH-60R and MH-60S helos are the majority of Aircrew in San Diego... there's also some Reserve AWF's in a C-40 squadron, and some Active Duty AWF's in a C-2 squadron. There are also some AWO's and AWV's working with the SEALS doing... things. Down the road for your shore duty, there's the option of being a SERE Instructor or doing work for JPRA... as well as AWO opportunities piloting LCAC's up near Camp Pendleton.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #193
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

My eyes are 20/600. I believe disqualifying is 20/800. So no glasses...that's not going to be fun. I can barely see shapes up close lol.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #194
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
My eyes are 20/600. I believe disqualifying is 20/800. So no glasses...that's not going to be fun. I can barely see shapes up close lol.
It'll be a pain... but I wasn't exactly seeing clearly either with chlorinated pool water in my eyes. You really don't need to see to do any of the water survival evolutions though... the tread & float evolutions just require staying above water until you hear the whistle... and the helo dunker is all done by touch since you're upside-down and blindfolded.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #195
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

Ok thanks a lot! I was really worried that my bad eyes might be a safety hazard. I was getting really nervous but now with what you have told me, I'm feeling better about it. I'm starting to look forward it
Old 04-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #196
fsudakota45

fsudakota45 is on a distinguished road

what is parachute ground training at naccas? and what is the intense calthetics like?
fsudakota45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #197
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudakota45 View Post
what is parachute ground training at naccas? and what is the intense calthetics like?
Parachute training (Only done if you're fixed-wing) consists of learning how to hit the ground, getting dragged around and escaping from your harness, and a simulator to practice steering the chute. It's fun and easy...

As for exercises, when I went through I was ultimately up to your instructor... the Navy SAR guys loved to do flutter-kicks and other leg and core workouts... Marine Sgt's and SSgt's loved to run... etc. An average morning session would be something like:

- 30 wide-grip pushups
- 30 flutter kicks
- 50 jumping jacks
- 30 regular-grip pushups
- 100 situps
- 30 scissor kicks
- 15 diamond-grip pushups

That would be one set... they'd also tell you "on your feet/faces/backs/butts!", and would routinely make you transition between all three rapidly for moving too slow. You'd do maybe 2-3 of those sets... then form up for a run... typically 3-5 miles at an 8min/mi-10min/mi pace. Then, after all that, you'd go to the pool and do the water survival evolutions for the day.

Now, that was when I went through... my buddy just took instructor orders there and he says it's much... tamer... now. Instructors have approved PT routines and it generally sounds much easier than it was. I'd actually like to see one of the AW DEPpers here come back with a detailed write-up of recent experiences.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #198
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

So we are going to run everyday at NACCS?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:29 PM   #199
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
So we are going to run everyday at NACCS?
I would anticipate it, yeah... plan for 3-5 miles. Biggest non-pool reason for Candidates getting dropped was shinsplints and other running related injuries. If you show up passing the minimum Navy standards, you're probably not going to pass NACCS.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #200
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

Quote:
I would anticipate it, yeah... plan for 3-5 miles. Biggest non-pool reason for Candidates getting dropped was shinsplints and other running related injuries. If you show up passing the minimum Navy standards, you're probably not going to pass NACCS.
If we are going to be running that much, is there any way to prepare for it in boot camp? I hear we don't run a whole lot and we could lose our endurance that we had before boot camp.