NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
OliviaJ

OliviaJ is on a distinguished road
Default Medical at Boot Camp

Hey Everyone! Future Sailor Jamerson here. I have a quick question(s). At boot camp during P-days, what all goes into medical? I know that there are shots, shots, and more shots but what else? I also know that there is a hearing and vision test and also dental. Is there anything else medical-wise that we are tested on? Also, what if we don't pass the hearing or vision test at boot camp? Will we be sent back home? I'm just wondering because I didn't pass the depth perception test at MEPS but I also wear glasses. I also barely passed my hearing test. I'm just worried that all of my hard work will go down the drain because I really want to be in the Navy! Anyway, any feedback would be great! Thanks!
OliviaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Blasterion

Blasterion is on a distinguished road

I think there is hearing, vision and the complete destruction of your wisdom teeth on your HMDA's whims. You will be issued "Harry Potter" Glasses at some point.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road

Harry Potter... Give it to them straight, BIRTH CONTROL GLASSES (:
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
geeMA

geeMA is on a distinguished road

its a very detailed medical exam. we also get our blood drawn, hearing test, eye exam, dental exam. we dont get birth control glasses anymore. we get these.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/0...ruits-012012w/
geeMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
culp7

culp7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeMA View Post
its a very detailed medical exam. we also get our blood drawn, hearing test, eye exam, dental exam. we dont get birth control glasses anymore. we get these.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/0...ruits-012012w/
More detailed than MEPS? I have heard different sides of this and am wondering what is true and false.
culp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
TrooperTaff

TrooperTaff is on a distinguished road

I got out of boot in november. shots shots shots.. vision test, hearing test, piss test, ALOT of waiting. every one smells like ass.

Beachmaster Unit One -Coronado, CA
TrooperTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
culp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperTaff View Post
I got out of boot in november. shots shots shots.. vision test, hearing test, piss test, ALOT of waiting. every one smells like ass.
But otherwise not near as indepth as medical at MEPS?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road

Damn i wanted birth control glasses...
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
maggio1994

maggio1994 is on a distinguished road

From what I remember medical consists of:

- Shots
- Blood Tests
- Hearing
- Vision
- General questions about your medical history

- Dental
- Xrays
- Maybe a teeth cleaning
- Maybe wisdom teeth removal
- Maybe root canal
- Maybe cavity filling

If you fail your depth perception test I think it'll just effect what jobs you can get

Last edited by maggio1994; 01-24-2013 at 07:25 AM.
maggio1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
culp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggio1994 View Post
From what I remember medical consists of:

- Shots
- Hearing
- Vision
- General questions about your medical history

- Dental
- Xrays
- Maybe a teeth cleaning
- Maybe wisdom teeth removal
- Maybe root canal
- Maybe cavity filling

If you fail your depth perception test I think it'll just effect what jobs you can get
Nice! Thanks for the clarification, this is what I remember hearing about it.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #11
Malarkey

Malarkey is on a distinguished road

Attention shipmates: Boot camp medical is A HUNDRED TIMES more thorough then MEPS. Period.
Malarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

I am pretty sure they also do a TB tine test there as well...my son had one it came back positive but was a false positive proven by x-rays..but he was still put on pills to take for a year...

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Malarkey

Malarkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
I am pretty sure they also do a TB tine test there as well...my son had one it came back positive but was a false positive proven by x-rays..but he was still put on pills to take for a year...
Thought that was only for nukes?
Malarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
maggio1994

maggio1994 is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah the TB test, everyone gets it.

A corpsman will inject something into your arm and it'll leave a little bubble, then a few days later another corpsman will check the injection spot to see if there was any type of reaction. If you have a reaction you'll have to get it looked at closer and you may have to take some antibiotic for 6 or 9 months.

maggio1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
FutureSailorNAD

FutureSailorNAD is on a distinguished road

What are the xrays about?
FutureSailorNAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
griz3232

griz3232 is on a distinguished road

I wear what I guess they call a flipper in my mouth. It is pretty much a deal that holds a fake tooth wear I do not have one. a cheap cheap version of an implant I guess. Will they do a better false tooth i.e a bridge while I am there or will I have to wait till I get to A school
griz3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #17
cire

cire is on a distinguished road

Girls will also get a pregnancy test, some of those girls will be sent home because they whored around before they left.

I was very glad to get rid of my BCG's.. I dumped them in my drinking glass the morning of my last boot camp meal before going to A school. The guy cleaning dishes was like HEY YOU CAN'T DO THAT! I was like whatever dude.. I'm outta here.

Quote:
mack_it_nasty: my boyfriend wouldnt like that gee.
geeMA: the hell? you told me you were single. lol
mack_it_nasty: oh did i...
geeMA: i got trolled
cire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
CoolHandL

CoolHandL is just really niceCoolHandL is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire View Post
Girls will also get a pregnancy test, some of those girls will be sent home because they whored around before they left.

I was very glad to get rid of my BCG's.. I dumped them in my drinking glass the morning of my last boot camp meal before going to A school. The guy cleaning dishes was like HEY YOU CAN'T DO THAT! I was like whatever dude.. I'm outta here.
Dude, you could stand to be a bit less judgemental, and work on your attitude toward women. They obviously had sex before they left. So did a lot of the guys, but you don't say they "whored around" about men, do you? Too, some of those women likely were in committed relationships, so it was just a birth control failure. You don't know and it is none of your business. Nothing about a woman's sexual behavior is any of your business unless it involves you personally, nor does her supposed promiscuity entitle anyone to disrespect her personal boundaries.
CoolHandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandL View Post
Dude, you could stand to be a bit less judgemental, and work on your attitude toward women. They obviously had sex before they left. So did a lot of the guys, but you don't say they "whored around" about men, do you? Too, some of those women likely were in committed relationships, so it was just a birth control failure. You don't know and it is none of your business. Nothing about a woman's sexual behavior is any of your business unless it involves you personally, nor does her supposed promiscuity entitle anyone to disrespect her personal boundaries.
Women get pregnant, men don't. Doesn't mean men don't "whore around" just as much (if not WAY more) than women do, but it DOES mean that female Future Sailors have to be a little more careful with themselves in the months before shipping. Simple fact.

Besides, while you say that "some" were probably in committed relationships, that leaves another chunk of "some" who might be unabashedly promiscuous.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #20
cire

Quote:
My bad. I should have been more specific. EVERY girl in my division that was sent home because they found out they were pregnant in boot camp were all crying uncontrollably and tell us their "mistakes" and such. Not ONE of them said "Oh, my silly husband and his condom broke" No.. they ALL said "waaa waa I slept with someone I didn't know and got knocked up" I might be paraphrasing it a little.

This may or may not be the case with girls in other divisions.. and if not, then I apologize

Quote:
Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #21
CoolHandL

CoolHandL is just really niceCoolHandL is just really nice

Quote:
My bad. I should have been more specific. EVERY girl in my division that was sent home because they found out they were pregnant in boot camp were all crying uncontrollably and tell us their "mistakes" and such. Not ONE of them said "Oh, my silly husband and his condom broke" No.. they ALL said "waaa waa I slept with someone I didn't know and got knocked up" I might be paraphrasing it a little.

This may or may not be the case with girls in other divisions.. and if not, then I apologize
My challenge was to your demeaning terminology, and the implied misogyny. Yeah, those girls did something stupid, no argument there. There's a real news flash: young people doing stupid things! It isn't cause to use such ugly words.
CoolHandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #22
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Quote:
My challenge was to your demeaning terminology, and the implied misogyny. Yeah, those girls did something stupid, no argument there. There's a real news flash: young people doing stupid things! It isn't cause to use such ugly words.
Still doesn't take away from the fact that some people (guys and girls) will whore around before basic and get booted (it will just take a bit longer for the guys who do it to be found out).
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #23
cire

Quote:
You are going to need to thicken your skin a bit if you want to be able to handle being in the military.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #24
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You are going to need to thicken your skin a bit if you want to be able to handle being in the military.
On the contrary, YOU might want to start taming your tongue. Saying things like that in the fleet can get you into serious trouble. At least, if you say it to the wrong person.
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #25
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Lets agree to diagree here...or I will have to lock this thread...KEEP IT CIVIL!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #26
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Cire's done his time and gotten out some years ago...it's in his signature, seriously. And CoolHandL, incidentally, is a Family Member, so that won't be a problem.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #27
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

In the fleet, even words like this come under the harassment rules. The navy is very VERY big on maintaining a professional and gender friendly environment. Off hand comments like this can and has resulted in very serious consequences for multiple people involved, even the ones who didn't say anything. Its not a random coincidence that all sailors have to undergo Sexual Assault Prevention (SAPR) training a minimum of once every 6 months....

And to clarify I'm not knocking on anyone, but I figure now is a good time to demonstrate to DEPpers how the navy looks at these issues.

prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:45 AM   #28
ahhcom

ahhcom is on a distinguished road

So, at MEPS they didn't check my teeth. My recruiter knew about my teeth condition and said that it's not problem. So, no paperwork about my teeth. I had 1 root canal. 1 dental flipper for front tooth. (I broke mine from falling from my bicycle when I was a child) I have 2 questions:

1) Since Navy/MEPS doesn't have anything written about my teeth, will it be a problem when I go to boot camp?
2) Will they let me wear dental flipper during boot camp? Will the dentist over there has problem with it.
ahhcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #29
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhcom View Post
So, at MEPS they didn't check my teeth. My recruiter knew about my teeth condition and said that it's not problem. So, no paperwork about my teeth. I had 1 root canal. 1 dental flipper for front tooth. (I broke mine from falling from my bicycle when I was a child) I have 2 questions:

1) Since Navy/MEPS doesn't have anything written about my teeth, will it be a problem when I go to boot camp?
2) Will they let me wear dental flipper during boot camp? Will the dentist over there has problem with it.
For future reference, you should try to either: A.) Start a new thread, or B.) Search for one of the many preexisting dental threads already here... rather than post to a thread that's over 1.5 years old.

To answer your question, dental is almost always not a disqualifier... Recruits come in with straight f**ked-up mouths and spend almost 1/3 of bootcamp in dental appointments... but they still graduate. Regarding a flipper... I'm not sure what that is, but my educated guess would be not unless the dentist either approves it, or issues you one of their own.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #30
JSlattery

JSlattery will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSailorNAD View Post
What are the xrays about?
TB usually attacks the lungs. Hence why most people with TB cough up blood. If you get a positive, or false positive, they're going to xray your chest and see what your lungs are doing.

DEP: 20140827
Ship: 20150324
JSlattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:14 AM   #31
Auridan
**Active Duty**

I wonder if we can make threads auto-lock after a few months...

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:54 AM   #32
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
I wonder if we can make threads auto-lock after a few months...
Probably, but I wouldn't because there are some older threads with good information that are good to keep alive.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote