NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
drumm3r7

drumm3r7 is on a distinguished road
Default Security clearance question

I have a small marijuana charge on my record from when I was 15. I'm wondering how this will affect me being able to get the required security clearance. And what happens if I require SCI and my clearance is declined?
drumm3r7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the MEPS that you sign through, your classifier should tell you which rates are going to be a no go. The most important thing is going to be to make sure that you fully document that from the outset. If you go for a rate that requires a security clearance higher than secret, they are going to find out about it. You do not want to be on the did-not-disclosed side of that argument.

Work with your recruiter to get an idea of what rates might be closed off to you before you go, and then take your time with your classifier to verify everything. The classifier and staff might be trying to get people out by the end of the day, but you are the one signing a commitment for 4 years or more. Make sure that you are going to be ok doing the job you signed for over the next 4 years. Also know that for a lot of people their jobs grow on them once they start doing them.

Do not be timid around your recruiters. I know I was intimidated when I started my process since I was working with a ripped OSC and former SERE instructor. Keep a clean appearance, treat them with respect, speak normal english, and basically act like an adult. Get your forms and paperwork done as fast as possible, stay proactive in your process, and make time to come in when they need you to. If you do these things, I promise if your recruiter is not a dirt bag then they will take you much more seriously. You are going to need to get into the habit of keeping yourself cleaned up anyways.

Now, I will tell you from my experience thus far with my shipmates (boot camp and A school) that a weed charge does not automatically exclude you. Particularly in the difference between possession and possession with the intent to distribute. In the latter case, you are probably not going to have much luck. In the former case you have a chance but there had better not be much else wrong in your record.

Keep faith and there is nothing wrong in trying out. Even if it doesn't work out, making the effort to better yourself and serve your country is as much as anyone can ask. Good luck friend!
YN2(AW)Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
drumm3r7

Thank you PringleMan! that was a lot more informative than I was hoping for lol, my recruiter is a bit too vague sometimes. My charge was way under the amount required for the Navy automatic DQ. I guess I just have to wait until the first of the year to go to MEPS and see how it goes. Thank you again for making the process a little more clear and explaining what I need to be prepared to do.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Another pro-tip; don't try to hide it either from the Navy or your investigators.

They will always find it and it will DQ you from anything with a clearance if you're caught lying about something like that in order to obtain clearance.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
drumm3r7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
Another pro-tip; don't try to hide it either from the Navy or your investigators.

/r
CTT1
Thanks Griffin. Definitely not going to be lying about my history.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumm3r7 View Post
Thanks Griffin.
*CTT1

Don't refer to Petty Officers by name unless you know them like that lol

/r
CTT1
Old 12-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
drumm3r7

Oh sorry about that. I haven't learned any of the rules for that kind of thing yet.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumm3r7 View Post
Oh sorry about that. I haven't learned any of the rules for that kind of thing yet.
Don't sweat it! Just for future reference ^_^

/r
CTT1