NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Bossnutz

Bossnutz is on a distinguished road

I agree that if you are fresh out of High School or was living with your parents prior to Boot Camp, you shouldn't be calling home every week for the simple fact that you are still a child and need to prepare for adulthood. But for ppl like myself who have a new born child and a wife all alone at home, this is a great way for future sailors to keep our family ties strong, which I believe the military boast about all the time
Old 02-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossnutz View Post
I agree that if you are fresh out of High School or was living with your parents prior to Boot Camp, you shouldn't be calling home every week for the simple fact that you are still a child and need to prepare for adulthood. But for ppl like myself who have a new born child and a wife all alone at home, this is a great way for future sailors to keep our family ties strong, which I believe the military boast about all the time
Agree 100%

How olds your kid?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
kgervais

kgervais is on a distinguished road

I think 8 weeks of bootcamp without a call per week is fine. It does put your mind out of place with having even the availability of the calls. For those with wives and children at home, I don't think calling home every week is necessary and the sacrifice was prepared to be made in the first place. Not much will change at home between the first call and the last call that was given with the old policy and once those 8 weeks are over you can call home or even visit as often as the Navy allows. I think the Navy deserves at least your full and undivided attention at the brief beginning point in your career.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
SENavyDude

SENavyDude is on a distinguished road

Here's the bottom line.

Ya don't wanna call? Don't do it.

Ya want to? Do it.

Unless they make you..
Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
rac

rac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENavyDude View Post
Here's the bottom line.

Ya want to? Do it.

Unless they make you..
Amen! Imagine having RDCs force you to call. "DON'T MAKE ME DIAL THAT NUMBER FOR YOU, RECRUIT!"

I fix airplanes sometimes. I know everything there is to know about absolutely nothing.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
kgervais

kgervais is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENavyDude View Post
Here's the bottom line.

Ya want to? Do it.

Unless they make you..
That's true. Maybe I'm the only one that actually wanted RTC to be a challenge without a lifeline every week. I wanted to be in the shoes of the sailors who had to plow through bootcamp to get to that final call so they can make that proclamation that after all the struggle they're finally a sailor. I just feel that it takes away from the value of the bootcamp experience. It's kinda like going into the wilderness but you have your cell phone with search and rescue on speed dial. You don't have to use it but it's always there so you have a cushion to fall back on.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Bossnutz

Bossnutz is on a distinguished road

My son is now 2 months old. I think you guys are taking this RTC thing wayyy too serious. If you wanted to have an extreme exp. than maybe the Marines or Navy Seals would be a better fit for you
Old 02-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossnutz View Post
My son is now 2 months old. I think you guys are taking this RTC thing wayyy too serious. If you wanted to have an extreme exp. than maybe the Marines or Navy Seals would be a better fit for you
my little girl is just over 2 months, I ship out next month on the day she turns 4 months.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
mrsgriebel

mrsgriebel is on a distinguished road

I second that 100%.
I am one of the few who wont be utilizing the phone calls. I even told my husband not to write too often because I need to stay focused and he knows thats how I am but some people have kids at home and sometimes hearing that voice on the other end of the phone gives them that extra push to go on.
Closed Thread