NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
wturner

wturner is on a distinguished road
Default IT Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotOfWSC View Post
No, 4yr ITs don't get the push button e4, but that's okay because advancement to 3rd has been at 100% for a while, so with you already having a degree which means you're going in e3...you'll be e4 in no time at all. Even with the auto advancement, what people don't know is that you still need TIR (time in rate) to pick up, so even with the push button, 6yrs still have to do time as e2 and e3 (6yrs get to put on e2 after boot). With your degree concentration in IS, you will more than likely have a good grasp on the networking side of things because we are ALL about the security of our networks and systems. I'm primarily a comms guy and withing 2 weeks of checking on board to my command, they sent me to class to get Security+ certified. I got my degree before joining as well (in computer information systems), so I already knew a lot, but you will still learn more...especially as you actually start to do work outside of school. Also, if you think you can pass the cert without the class or have done self study, you can request a voucher to take certs.
I'm new to this website so I hope I'm using it correctly. I am a 6 year ATF/IT, I enlisted on 20160615 and I am shipping out on 20170711. I don't fully understand how the timeline of advancing rank works. So is it correct that I will become E-2 as soon as I graduate boot camp and then I have to wait 9 months to get E-3 and then an additional 6 months to get E-4? Does TIR start from the time I am in "A" school? I wouldn't have to take a test to get E-4, just that it would be a total of 17 months of naval service including boot camp? My recruiter told me if I get 4 referrals then I will be paid as an E-3 in boot camp, so would that mean that if TIR starts in "A" school then I would be advanced to E-4 at the completion of the 6 month school? I appreciate you taking the time to read this and answer my questions.
wturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
Jp123

Jp123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wturner View Post
I'm new to this website so I hope I'm using it correctly. I am a 6 year ATF/IT, I enlisted on 20160615 and I am shipping out on 20170711. I don't fully understand how the timeline of advancing rank works. So is it correct that I will become E-2 as soon as I graduate boot camp and then I have to wait 9 months to get E-3 and then an additional 6 months to get E-4? Does TIR start from the time I am in "A" school? I wouldn't have to take a test to get E-4, just that it would be a total of 17 months of naval service including boot camp? My recruiter told me if I get 4 referrals then I will be paid as an E-3 in boot camp, so would that mean that if TIR starts in "A" school then I would be advanced to E-4 at the completion of the 6 month school? I appreciate you taking the time to read this and answer my questions.
Kinda crazy I am a 6y IT/ATF and i literally graduated this morning lol

you will become an E2 as soon as you graduate and that will start your E2 time in rate, then yes 9 months until E3. You get E4 once you complete school AND meet time in rate. So some people in my class who DEPed in as E3 are getting E4 next week because they already have time in rate of 6 months and completed their school. Id be happy to answer any other questions you have

"My recruiter told me if I get 4 referrals then I will be paid as an E-3 in boot camp, so would that mean that if TIR starts in "A" school then I would be advanced to E-4 at the completion of the 6 month school? " This is correct
Jp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
contigo26

contigo26 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp123 View Post
Kinda crazy I am a 6y IT/ATF and i literally graduated this morning lol

you will become an E2 as soon as you graduate and that will start your E2 time in rate, then yes 9 months until E3. You get E4 once you complete school AND meet time in rate. So some people in my class who DEPed in as E3 are getting E4 next week because they already have time in rate of 6 months and completed their school. Id be happy to answer any other questions you have

"My recruiter told me if I get 4 referrals then I will be paid as an E-3 in boot camp, so would that mean that if TIR starts in "A" school then I would be advanced to E-4 at the completion of the 6 month school? " This is correct
Congrats!! I'm hoping to come in future IT as well. Just had a curiosity what certs you have received so far?
And also should i choose 4yrs or 6yrs? Would like your opinion.
contigo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:31 AM   #4
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**

ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road

wturner,

You are correct. Being a 6yr, you will be automatically promoted to E2 upon completion of boot camp (assuming you're coming in as an E1). So you'll still have to do your 9 months as an E2 and 6 months as an E3. You will be a push button E4, meaning you don't have to take the advancement exam to be promoted. If you get 4 referrals and leave for boot as an E3, then you will only have to do 6 months TIR and graduated school. The IT school house is funny about how they do things these days. You won't actually put on 3rd class until you graduate "C" school, even if you've graduated "A" school and have been an E3 for 6 months. I did receive back pay though when back when I went through. Any questions you may have let me know.

IT2
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:09 AM   #5
Jp123

Jp123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by contigo26 View Post
Congrats!! I'm hoping to come in future IT as well. Just had a curiosity what certs you have received so far?
And also should i choose 4yrs or 6yrs? Would like your opinion.
It just depends on your personal goals. If you think you want a career in the military, definitely 6y because you just can't beat push button in my opinion. However, my goals are to do my time and get out honorably so I wish I would have went 4y.

I didn't receive any certs because I went through the digital tutor program. But they just did away with the A+ cert for regular ITs so you cant get that anymore
Jp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #6
contigo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp123 View Post
It just depends on your personal goals. If you think you want a career in the military, definitely 6y because you just can't beat push button in my opinion. However, my goals are to do my time and get out honorably so I wish I would have went 4y.

I didn't receive any certs because I went through the digital tutor program. But they just did away with the A+ cert for regular ITs so you cant get that anymore
Thanks.. My initial thought they would give you certs like A+, or Network + or some other stuff... So just to clear things they dont give certs anymore for 4yr IT's? how about for you as 6yr?
Old 08-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #7
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by contigo26 View Post
Thanks.. My initial thought they would give you certs like A+, or Network + or some other stuff... So just to clear things they dont give certs anymore for 4yr IT's? how about for you as 6yr?
CompTIA certs are pretty basic/entry level. Don't sweat it.
The expierance you'll get from admining a network will be worth more than those by a long shot.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
contigo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
The expierance you'll get from admining a network will be worth more than those by a long shot.

/r
CTT1
Oh okay. hehe. Sorry i'm just one of those individuals like if they offered or taught it at your A School you can test for it. I'm never good when it comes to studying especially if its self-paced. I prefer a hand-on training environment with instructors teaching.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #9
Squid350
**Active Duty**

Squid350 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post

/r
CTT1
Could probably knock them out through Navy COOL as well, right? I've done Sec+ (InfoSec guy civ side), I'd assume that Net+ would be a fairly light lift for a full time network admin.

Visit the "Navy Deppers" facebook group!
Squid350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:02 AM   #10
IdeaGuy

IdeaGuy is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't CompTIA certs help with getting a civilian job as well?
IdeaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #11
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdeaGuy View Post
Wouldn't CompTIA certs help with getting a civilian job as well?
At an entry level position, yes.

/r
CTT1