NavyDEP
 

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Advanced Electronics Computer Field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
meggy2403
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 6
meggy2403 is on a distinguished road
Default Job Opportunities

What is the outlook for civilian jobs if I choose to not do career? Is it a good field to get a degree in while I am in so I will have experience? Please, any advice about entering this field would be great! :D
meggy2403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Agrias
**Active Duty**
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 183
Rep Power: 23
Agrias is on a distinguished road
Default

https://www.cool.navy.mil/enlisted/fc.htm
https://www.cool.navy.mil/enlisted/et.htm

I've actually been trying to find out the same thing, and the above is what I found, not sure about the accuracy or the exact specific process of getting the additional certifications etc.
Agrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
gameingkine
**Active Duty**
 
gameingkine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 121
Rep Power: 17
gameingkine is on a distinguished road
Default

http://www.bls.gov/

just shows things like demand and general pay for civi jobs.

typed in AC and Nuke and was not disappointed
gameingkine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
meggy2403
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 6
meggy2403 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrias View Post
https://www.cool.navy.mil/enlisted/fc.htm
https://www.cool.navy.mil/enlisted/et.htm

I've actually been trying to find out the same thing, and the above is what I found, not sure about the accuracy or the exact specific process of getting the additional certifications etc.
That site is great! Thanks a lot!
meggy2403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:14 AM   #5
bellhead
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
bellhead is on a distinguished road
Default

Thread is a little old, but I'll post to it as someone who has been out of the Navy for over 19 years as a ET. I had a comsec and shore based comm NEC, I was stationed out of Rota Spain.

I went to a 2 year college after the Navy and picked up an associates degree in 1996, while going to school I was hired by a national phone company starting at 42k as a telephone switchman and transport technician, since 1998 the worst year I had had has been around 80k, the job I'm at now I make about 105k plus 15% bonus working for a major cell phone company. I recently interviewed for a GS-13 for the VA, have my fingers crossed on that.

Your Navy experience will give you a huge leg up, the big money right now is data communications involving routing and switching of wan circuits. Juniper and Cisco are big along with Big IP load balancers and Firewalls of any type.
bellhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:36 PM   #6
USNAVYCASTRO
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 6
USNAVYCASTRO is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Thread is a little old, but I'll post to it as someone who has been out of the Navy for over 19 years as a ET. I had a comsec and shore based comm NEC, I was stationed out of Rota Spain.

I went to a 2 year college after the Navy and picked up an associates degree in 1996, while going to school I was hired by a national phone company starting at 42k as a telephone switchman and transport technician, since 1998 the worst year I had had has been around 80k, the job I'm at now I make about 105k plus 15% bonus working for a major cell phone company. I recently interviewed for a GS-13 for the VA, have my fingers crossed on that.

Your Navy experience will give you a huge leg up, the big money right now is data communications involving routing and switching of wan circuits. Juniper and Cisco are big along with Big IP load balancers and Firewalls of any type.


And for your big money jobs you speak of, I would gain that experience as an AECF in the Navy?
USNAVYCASTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
bellhead
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 5
bellhead is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNAVYCASTRO View Post
And for your big money jobs you speak of, I would gain that experience as an AECF in the Navy?
It gives you a starting point....

The job I am in now requires a lot of OJT training, and that's normal for a lot of jobs out there....

As a ET you do circuit testing, work with com circuits, learn about multiplexers, networking with switches and routers...

And if you think I am not truthful about pay or benefits google the CWA contracts for ATT wireless...
bellhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aecf, civilian life, college

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
This site and contents 2009-2014 NavyFamiles