NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Special Warfare > ND = NAVY DIVER

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
NavyGirl1018

NavyGirl1018 is on a distinguished road
Default I want to be a Navy Diver

I already have my rating & shipping date. Right now I'm an AM and I leave May 8. Is it to late to change? If it's not how do I go about changing it? Also, I heard its hard for females to get the job. What are the qualifications? Do I have to take a special test (knowledge or physical)?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGirl1018 View Post
I already have my rating & shipping date. Right now I'm an AM and I leave May 8. Is it to late to change? If it's not how do I go about changing it? Also, I heard its hard for females to get the job. What are the qualifications? Do I have to take a special test (knowledge or physical)?
Funny, you're like me but a girl. When I first joined I picked AM as my job with the goal of getting a dive contract. It is not too late, and actually picking a different job before earning a dive contract is the way it is done most of the time. Speak to your recruiter, tell him/her your interest in becoming a diver and have them give you contact info for your local spec war mentor. To get a ND contract you will need to take a PST (swim, run, push ups, sit ups, and pull ups test) and score well above the minimum requirements. Both makes and females have the same physical standards, we have a girl that does the PST with us (has an AIRR contract) and does 90+ push ups and 12-13 pull ups, so it is very possible for girls to do well. Just to help you gauge where you are, here are the scores that I had when I got my dive contract:
Swim 9:22
Push 80
Sit 65
Pull 15
Run 10:22
Once you get your contract you must continue to take the PST and show constant improvement.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
NavyGirl1018

Thanks so much. That was very helpful... When would I take the PST? Cause I'm very out of shape! Would it be before I leave for boot camp or before?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

You can take the PST up to 45 days before your ship date. I know you have about 4 months before you ship but to be honest with you if you are not in at least descent shape it is going to be pretty difficult to get where you need to be. There is a VERY small chance that you will be able to try for diver once you get in the fleet. I know right now, or last I heard, they are not taking anybody from the fleet and are only taking non-prior service.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
NavyGirl1018

I'm not that out of shape. I can do 30 push-up & 58 sit ups in 2 mins. I can run a mile in 9 mins. I need to try for the extra mile. & I can do 12 pull ups easy.... The only problem is I don't know if I got the right scores on the asvab. I know I got a 64 but I don't know what I need to be a ND or if the job is even available right now
Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
FutureND
**Active Duty**

How's your swim? And it would depend on your ASVAB line scores. With ND being a spec war job and having a high attrition rate they are always taking new people (like any of the spec war rates or nuke). I would recommend talking to your recruiter to see if your scores would qualify you and them asked to be out in contact with your spec war mentor.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
NavyGirl1018

Ok. I have a dep meeting today so ill ask him when I get there.. Thanks for all the info
Closed Thread