NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTI = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN INTERPRETIVE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
Shadowfury

Shadowfury is on a distinguished road
Default Possible to join as a CTI with my scores not adding up to a 165?

Hello all. So I've been interested in going in as a "CTI" Cryptologic Technician Interprative, however, the problem I have right now is that my asvab scores keeps being the same and every time I've re-taken it about 4 times and I still keep getting about the same scores. I don't know if there is something wrong with the system or anything like that, but I have a feeling that the asvab system might be rigging my scores or not be calculating properly. I've studied so hard and knew almost all the answers on the test, but I keep scoring about the same. I've gone through all sorts of guides on the asvab (bought a lot of books and apps from android store) to help my score and my GS keeps being a 45 and my Math is pretty good which is at a 57 or 58, and my VE is pretty okay too - it's a 55. If my GS would at least be a +7 (52) then I would meet the score requirement of a 165 from my latest scores (52+55+58) but I don't. Now I'm not stupid or anything, there are certain questions that the tests asks you, especially in General Science which I knew a lot of answers to, but there are tricky ones that cost me, but I'm not too sure. Honestly, that shouldn't affect my GS score and put it at a 45, I don't think. I find it interesting though that I score good in my MK with a 58, but my Arithmetic is about average. I still don't know why the requirement for a CTI is a 165, if I did meet the requirements my ASVAB scores should meet it but something in the system keeps putting me at the scores where I'm at.

Here are the scores from my asvab the past 4 times:

Latest score:

Now my recruiter told me that he'll schedule me to go to MEPS and then take the DLAB from there, even though I've taken the ASVAB already. I'm wondering if it will still be possible for me to take or alter my ASVAB scores? Or is my 158 not enough to meet it?

Like I said I'm not sure if the 165 requirement is official, but can anyone confirm this? I was looking up http://www.military.com/join-armed-f...-mos-jobs.html on here and it says the score requirement is 150. But some of the other sites like navycs.com and other ones that I don't remember off the top of my head, they say it requires a 165 from GS(General Science)+VE(Verbal Expression)+MK(Math Knowledge). Which one is correct? Mines only add up to a 158 with my latest retake. And obviously the next requirement is to take the DLAB and meet a score of 100+, preferably a 100+ so a recruit has more options of languages to be placed in.

Now I'm not stupid or anything, there are certain questions that the tests asks you especially in General Science which I knew a lot of answers to but there are tricky ones that cost me, but i don't think that should make my GS score a 45. I find it interesting though that I score good in my MK, but my Arithmetic is about average.
I still don't know why the requirement for a CTI is a 165, if I did meet the requirements my ASVAB scores should meet it but something in the system keeps putting me at the scores where I'm at.

I know I have to take the DLAB anyway, and re-taking it is a 6 month policy. But I feel confident enough to know that I can score a 100+ on the DLAB. There is a DLAB study guide I've bought and studied and has a lot of reviews on grammar. I know intermediate/advance Spanish and Japanese which I've taken 4 years of Spanish and studied on my own later, and then 3 years of Japanese plus 4 years of self-study so that's about 7 years of Japanese. Also, I'm fluent in Tagalog and Cebuano since I'm a native speaker from that country. Thing is, I don't want to have to retake the ASVAB every 6 months which is in February 2017 just to get my line scores from VE+GS+MK that adds up to 165.

Does anyone if it's possible to waive my asvab a bit if I do well on the DLAB and/or know other languages?

Last edited by Shadowfury; 08-18-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Shadowfury is offline   Reply With Quote