NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
Revelator

Revelator is on a distinguished road
Default Which Nuclear Rating does what?

I'm somewhat confused as to which rating does what. I know MM (Machinist's Mate) is essentially maintenance and repair. But what's the difference between EM (Electrician's Mate) and ET (Electronics Technician). I would personally like to shoot for whichever has control over operation but I don't want to mistakenly go for the wrong thing. Any help would be appreciated.
Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:15 AM   #2
drego86

drego86 is on a distinguished road

EMs deal with motors and generators. ETs deal with the circuit card level troubleshooting and replacement.
drego86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

If giong nuke, remember this..you generally do not get to pick which rate in the nuke pipeline...you can request one, and sometimes you get it, many times it is picked for you as to what is open and available. This will be done while you are at boot.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:03 AM   #4
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

Go here for Nuke Info:
https://www.cool.navy.mil/enlisted/r.../nukepower.pdf

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:21 AM   #5
Revelator

Revelator is on a distinguished road

Thank you all! It appears I should try to shoot for ET if possible, it seems I would do best at that. I guess I need to bust my hump to be the best of the best so I get a decent shot at choosing it. (openings permitting).
Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #6
Sparky

Sparky is on a distinguished road

MM do you like getting your hands dirty and Mario from super smash brothers? Glorified nuclear plummers. Those little grease monkeys are the best. To a mechanic, everything is a hammer. A-school is shorter, woo hoo! Have a chance of being picked up ELT if you like chemistry.

EM gods chosen rate. We make the power, we are the power. If you like high voltage fueled life and a middle of the road attitude. EM is for you, hands on like a MM, technical like an ET.

ET. Homer Simpson meets Gandolf. Magical in the electrity department. Reactor operator by day, socially awkward by night. If you want to control a reactor, ET is the way.

You fill out your choices, at bootcamp. The powers that be, return them shortly. I know most people get what they want. If you don't, you can't switch but you'll learn to love your rate quickly. You too can start calling the other rates derogatory names in no time.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emn, etn, mmn, nuclear, ratings