NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
andrewpa

andrewpa is on a distinguished road
Default CTN and TS Clearance

I went to MEPS about 2 weeks ago and scored an 89 AFQT score and my individual scores were more than enough to qualify for CTN; however, I have 4 years of college behind me with an unfinished bachelor's. Unfortunately I was denied TS clearance due to my outstanding college loans.

The rest of my background is completely clean. I have had issues with making ends meet to repay my student loans in a timely manner and have applied deferment many times.

If the loans get paid off before shipping will they pass the TS clearance? Are they looking at total debt or credit score as a factor?

I understand that outstanding debt is a high risk because it is assumed you can be bought or bribed.

Thanks for your time.
andrewpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Honestly, the loans themselves are probably not the problem. I have loans, and I never had a problem with meeting the TS requirements. I know lots of other people in CT rates with loans too.

The issue is probably
Quote:
I have had issues with making ends meet to repay my student loans in a timely manner and have applied deferment many times.
If you're documented as being fiscally irresponsible, that's a red flag. Doesn't matter whether you currently have loans or not, you have a history, so it's more likely you'll get in debt again. Improving your credit score might help.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Diesirae27

Diesirae27 is on a distinguished road

If you want it bad enough, submit a package to cross-rate after 2 years. Different doors open after time in service.

I inquired about CTI in regard to my non-citizenship. The above was in general the response I got from the classifier.
Diesirae27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesirae27 View Post
If you want it bad enough, submit a package to cross-rate after 2 years. Different doors open after time in service.

I inquired about CTI in regard to my non-citizenship. The above was in general the response I got from the classifier.
Cross rating after 2 years is very slim to none.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote